Jacket/Pants durability in a slide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
Do any of you have access to comparative data on the slide/crash durability of various types of current MC jackets/pants that is objective data? I have seen some data developed by Andy Goldfine for the Roadcrafter, and some data comparing various fabrics in durability cycles to failure, but nothing for the current crop of mesh jackets and pants. Seems as if this would be a good "Consumer's Report" type of study for MCN should they decide to pick it up.

The data I have seen would lead you to believe that thick leather is most durable, followed by heavy ballistic nylon, with blue jeans and a t-shirt near the bottom. Maybe if someone could find data, this could be pinned in "reoccuring and pointless threads........"

The data I have seen would lead you to believe that thick leather is most durable, followed by heavy ballistic nylon, with blue jeans and a t-shirt near the bottom. Maybe if someone could find data, this could be pinned in "reoccuring and pointless threads........"
Have you read the "Save your hide guide" at Cycleport? It's in the upper right portion of the red bar across the top of the home page. Leather's good, but they've made some startling advances in the area of synthetic fibers. Kevlar is your friend! Call there and ask your question to the owner, Wayne Boyer, but make sure you have a few minutes.

Leather works the best. Had a low side at the Autobahn at about 60 and walked away with just minor scratches on joe Rocket GPX suite and gloves.

Supposedly Joe Rocket mesh and textile should be almost as good. have seen some evidence and looked ok.

Definetely nono to Technik leather. Falls apart even at the minor crash. Fiends that decided to go on the budget.

NONO for the ICON textile. Again, friends that got hurt in those.

Thanks for the replies; this is the type of information I'm looking for. I would like to know how the data referenced was developed. If by an independent test lab, paid for by a group that had no financial incentive on the outcome of the data, that would be great. Leather would seem to be great if proper type and thickness was used, and it could be kept from getting wet. I was unaware that the tear resistance of leather goes down depending on its "history", according to the "Save you hide" text accompanying the data.

Funny you should mention MCN. I found a modest comparison they did: "Crash Protection Performance - Scientific Comparison of Leather & Synthetic Riding Suit Materials" (Sarah Hambleton) in the June 2000 issue. It was typical MCN (and by that I mean very good, subjective, informative) and came up with similar conclusions. Race quality leather is best for abrasion resistance. Synthetics are a bit better in tear resistance. It didn't cover high ventilation/cooling suits - I don't think they'd penetrated the market enough by then. As far as I know, MCN is rather well insulated from "industry bias" as they're funded solely by subscription base as opposed to advertising dollars.

If you find anything more please let us know. Good luck!