JC Whitney Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhead

Reaction score
I'm looking at the JC Whitney trunk for my 06 AE. My bro-in-law has one on his Vstrom and it looks pretty good for the price. Can someone who's used one of these tell me which mounting plate you used? Will the JCW universal work, or did you go with the GIVI plate or something else?

I bought my trunk from JCW about a year and a half ago, but had never used it until now. I think it cost me about $75 and it comes with a mounting plate. In order to make it fit better, I also ordered the OEM Yamaha trunk mounting plate from Stadium Yamaha for about $90. I did this to not only enable easy on/off, but to prevent scratching the rack.

The JC Whitney trunk does not look as good as the OEM trunk, but for the cost, you can’t go wrong. It mounts securely, has plenty of room and opens & closes easily also. Should it become damaged, no huge expense to replace!

The stainless steel loops you can see in the pics I picked up at a local marine shop to enable strapping additional items to the trunk (i.e. sleeping bag, tent, etc)

Being plastic, it could be painted to match as long as the paint is mixed with plastic adhesive to prevent peeling and a filler primer is used.

751893534e86a87edb4fb1a1ff60c0080_large.jpg
b0789f2d6014ecb75c2e657c510379450_large.jpg

Thanks. I ordered the trunk and will also order either the Yammi or GIVI mount, whichever is cheaper.

Like I said, my bro-in-law has the JCW bag on his Vstrom. His wife has a Givi on her Ninja. They look very similar. I didn't look that close, but will compare next month when I'm back in Gunnison to retrieve the FJR :yahoo:

Thanks. I ordered the trunk and will also order either the Yammi or GIVI mount, whichever is cheaper.
Like I said, my bro-in-law has the JCW bag on his Vstrom. His wife has a Givi on her Ninja. They look very similar. I didn't look that close, but will compare next month when I'm back in Gunnison to retrieve the FJR :yahoo:
Rockhead,

I have the JCW trunk on my bike and I made a simple mounting plate that the JCW universal mounting plate attaches to. It cost about $10 and looks fine. Contact me when you're in Gunnison if you want to see it.

Dave

Rockhead,

I have the JCW trunk on my bike and I made a simple mounting plate that the JCW universal mounting plate attaches to. It cost about $10 and looks fine. Contact me when you're in Gunnison if you want to see it.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I'll give you a call when I get to Gunnison. I should get there on Aug 31, but that's subject to change.

I bought my trunk from JCW about a year and a half ago, but had never used it until now. I think it cost me about $75 and it comes with a mounting plate. In order to make it fit better, I also ordered the OEM Yamaha trunk mounting plate from Stadium Yamaha for about $90. I did this to not only enable easy on/off, but to prevent scratching the rack.
The JC Whitney trunk does not look as good as the OEM trunk, but for the cost, you can’t go wrong. It mounts securely, has plenty of room and opens & closes easily also. Should it become damaged, no huge expense to replace!

The stainless steel loops you can see in the pics I picked up at a local marine shop to enable strapping additional items to the trunk (i.e. sleeping bag, tent, etc)

Being plastic, it could be painted to match as long as the paint is mixed with plastic adhesive to prevent peeling and a filler primer is used.

751893534e86a87edb4fb1a1ff60c0080_large.jpg
b0789f2d6014ecb75c2e657c510379450_large.jpg
Big D...the trunk looks good. How well does it work with your passengers serving as a backrest? Is it at the right angle to be comfy? Thanks

Is it just me or does that look like a GIVI trunk?
looks like it, but nowhere near the quality. i've owned both. they're not waterproof; i never tested mine, but someone else i know had some as sidecases and advised they are not. the screws on the locking mechanism of the jcw case rattled loose on two of my cases (i had them mounted as side cases to the fj12). the cases rattled when mounted. i'm not a sound snob, but rattling doesn't give me much of a sense of confidence. so little confidence, that on a rally trip ride, i strapped 'em down.

https://fjrally.com/picgallery/gallery.asp?...x=&shownew=

i agree, it is a great deal---$80 vs. $250 or so for givi. if it were something other than a case that might be holding important stuff of mine, then i might skip the pricey brand name and go with a cheap knockoff; but if you're going to be carrying around valuables, or putting a fair amount of stuff either by volume or weight, and thereby testing the limits of not only the mount, but the lock and seal, you might want to consider the givis. i bit the bullet and bought an e52 that i switch back and forth between the fjr and fj12 as a topcase, and scored some used givi sidecases and rack.

I will reply to two comments.

The first about how a passenger likes the JCW trunk. Actually, I have not ridden anyone on the back since installing this trunk, so I can’t give you an honest answer.

As far as the quality of the JCW trunk? It is actually made very well. I just returned from the North Rim run and not only was the trunk completely full, I also had a Kryptonite “NY"forgetaboutit"” lock & chain which weighs about 35-40lbs in the trunk also. Overall, I had 50lbs or better in that trunk. Nothing has come loose, fallen off or broke yet and it doesn’t rattle or make any other noise. It kind of just sits there and holds stuff. Even while trying to keep up with about 23 Forum members and BMW riders exceeding triple digits didn’t cause this trunk to fail (blow off).

And is it Water-Proof? I would say yes. I have used a power washer three times just on the North Rim trip alone and NO water has got into the trunk.

There are better looking trunks that’s for sure. But this thing works and it works well

Last edited by a moderator: