JCWHITNEY TOP BOX Good/NG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRKAZABS

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried one of those JCWHITNEY topboxes. For the trip or 2 I take a year, I can't see spending $500.00 for the Yamaha box when these are $79.00. I really don't care about the looks of them. Will they fit on the stock rear rack ? Any help appreciated. This is for an 05.

If you''re talking about the "shiny" black one, I have one on my XS1100 and it works great. The only drawback is that the top "rattles", so that when I hit a bump I hear the lid "clunk". I'm sure you could put some foam or automotive door-edge protector on the inside lip and that would eliminate that. I don't think it is as weather proof as the other aftermarket cases though I've never had a problem in light rain.

If you are talking about the "dull" black one that is removable from the bracket (like the other aftermarket brands), I have on in a box that someone gave me. It latches tight and appears to be weatherproof. Actually, the latching system is similar to my Givi.

Neither of these has the volume of my Givi (I'd estimate them @ 2/3) and the thickness of the material is somewhat thinner, but for the "extra" storage space I think you'd be alright. You'll just have to be creative when mounting the case/bracket (you may have to make some spacers, get longer bolts, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one on my KLR 650. Works great but it isn't much compared to the Givi. In this instance, you get what you pay for.

I have the JC whitney box on my 03.

I painted it to match my bike.

It has a panel that can be removed for extra lighting.

img_7106.jpg

img_7107.jpg

Jarmo,

Better close that faceshield.. you don't wanna get a flying cockroach in the forehead....

No disrespect to the JCWhitney top box, but everytime I see this thread listed under new posts, I'd swear it says JC Penny.

-1 on the JC Whitney $79 top box. I just shipped mine back for a refund. Tried to avoid spending the "big money" for a Givi, Shad, H&B, or Yammy box, and I got what I paid for - junk. The box itself seemed a little flimsy, but it was actually one of the mounting tabs on the adapter plate that let go (specifically, the front left tab when looking down at it from in back of the bike). It was only my third trip out with the top box, and it had very little weight in it - just a pair of kids shoes that I had just bought from my son. It appears that the resin used to make the adapter plate is inferior, which calls into question the quality of the rest of the unit. The thing that concerns me is that it is an almost identical quick release mounting design as the Givi adapter. I am confident from the numerous positive posts about Givi that they must use a better quality resin in their product.

A couple of other dislikes about the JC Whitney case - the lock does NOT protect the unit from being removed from the bike. It only locks the lid. So, if someone wanted to steal it, they could just push the button and take it with them and then crack the case open when they got it home (or wherever crooks hang out these days). Also, the elastic straps inside had a really cheesy buckle system. The box looked OK - not much different from the Givi 52 litre model, but like so many Chinese knock-offs you can buy at discount stores, it didn't hold up like the original.

Live and learn. The good news is that JC Whitney has a money back guarantee. The bad news is I am still out the shipping costs. Lesson learned (and I typically know this, but I had to try to save a buck): buy quality and be done with it.

Hope this helps.

I have one of these on my BMW R1150R, and I love it. Is it a Givi? Of course not. But for $59 I didn't expect a Givi.

I primarily use the BMW for trips up and down the Natchez Trace with my daughter. She loves the added security she feels from having the topcase, even though she does not lean back on it.

For occasional use when real security is not a problem, this is OK. For long term use or items that really need to be locked, this is not the way to go. For holding some shoes and shorts to change into once my daughter and I get to Garrison Creek, it is perfect.

Family on the Trace

VM

A couple of other dislikes about the JC Whitney case - the lock does NOT protect the unit from being removed from the bike. It only locks the lid. So, if someone wanted to steal it, they could just push the button and take it with them and then crack the case open when they got it home (or wherever crooks hang out these days). Also, the elastic straps inside had a really cheesy buckle system. The box looked OK - not much different from the Givi 52 litre model, but like so many Chinese knock-offs you can buy at discount stores, it didn't hold up like the original.
Live and learn. The good news is that JC Whitney has a money back guarantee. The bad news is I am still out the shipping costs. Lesson learned (and I typically know this, but I had to try to save a buck): buy quality and be done with it.

Hope this helps.
You must have had a problem with yours because the lock DOES lock the unit on the rack and it CANNOT be removed without unlocking it. It is not up to the quality of the Givi in either finish or function but I also didn't drop 350-400 bucks into it.

I have had a J C whitney box on my 03 FJR for approx 2 1/2 years now with no problems.

I have noticed that at speeds above 140 mph. the bike will get a slight twitch . This has been reported on other machines with a box installed.

I made an aluminun mount that is tapered to fit the stock rear rack . I will include a picture of my mount.

The base coat -clear coat paint that it is painted with cost more than the box.

The box is made some sort of molded plastic and has a backrest included .

MVC-072S.jpg

MVC-071S.jpg

MVC-068S.jpg

MVC-065S.jpg

I attached a top plate to my bike by making two inserts shaped to fit the holes in my rack . I have a thin doubler plate inside the box that adds support to the bottom of the box.As a result I did not have to drill any holes in my bike to mount the box.

img_7109.jpg

I attached a top plate to my bike by making two inserts shaped to fit the holes in my rack . I have a thin doubler plate inside the box that adds support to the bottom of the box.As a result I did not have to drill any holes in my bike to mount the box.

img_7109.jpg
Wow it looks like you went into that turn really, really shallow.

Anyways, anyone got a link to this box or should I stop being lazy and find it myself?

I have the one that looks like a GIVI, the $79 one

I took a 5,000+ mile trip after I put it on and have had NO problems with it.

now mounting it requires that you shim it or some thing so that the plate lies flat and is not bowed one way or another.

I also put some pads on the plate so that when I mount the box it fits tight and does not rattle.

when you compare the price I am very happy with it.

I did take off the orange trim on the front part, opposet the red reflector on the back side. I painted it flat black and put it back on. I took to ugly emblem off the top. now the whole thing looks better.