JD Power Motorcycle Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimV

Reaction score
All,

I got an email from JD Power / Kawasaki today asking me to take a survey on what I thought was important as far as new features on motorcycles. I thought I'd post the stuff that they were interested in just as an FYI. Some of the stuff would be pretty cool and some of it (i.e. the canopy) struck me as being beyond the pale. The formatting is pretty lame but the value of knowing the questions overrides it IMHO.

Cheers,

Jim

Features

AC Outlet On-Board

Outlet giving power for a limited amount of time - charged when bike is in use

Accident Avoidance System

Notifies rider if another vehicle is within specified perimeter of motorcycle

The following is a list of features that may be available on motorcycles. Please indicate whether you have the feature on your current motorcycle, are familiar with the feature, and if you would want the feature on your next motorcycle. (MARK ALL THAT APPLY)

Active Cornering Headlight System

Headlight(s) shine beyond the curve, optimizing visibility of curves at night

Adaptive Cruise Control

Automatically adjusts speed to vehicles ahead of you

Adjustable Riding Position

Offers customization/increased comfort of riding position for all rider types

Adjustable Foot Pegs/Rests

Offers customization of foot position for all rider types

Adjustable Handlebars

Offers customization of hand position for all rider types

Adjustable Suspension

Offers increased suspension options for different riding conditions

Airbag Crash Protection

Used to reduce the severity of injuries sustained in the event of a crash

Alternative Fuels

Allows motorcycle to run on more than one fuel type (e.g., gasoline, ethanol)

Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)

Allows operator to steer motorcycle while braking hard

Automatic/Electronic/Variable Transmission

Allows rider to ride in automatic or manual transmission mode

Flexible Format Audio System (e.g., plays iPod, MP3)

Audio device that plays multiple formats: AM/FM, CD, MP3, WAV, etc.

Fuel Efficiency Gauge (MPG)

Electronically calculates fuel economy of motorcycle

Heated Hand Grips

Helps to keeps hands warm in cooler riding conditions

Adjustable/Heated/Cooled Seats

Seat can be heated, cooled, and adjusted to enhance comfort and reduce fatigue

HD Radio

Digital-quality broadcasts from local stations - gives FM quality to AM stations

Hybrid-Electric Engine

Powered by gas and electric engine - delivering up to 50% better fuel economy

Music Hard Drive

Digital music storage device - eliminates the need for CDs

Navigation System

Displays directions and points of interest based on rider input

On-Board Locator System (e.g., LoJack)

Small, silent transmitter that helps police locate and recover motorcycle if stolen

Personal Assistance Safety Service (e.g., OnStar)

Provides communication with "live" response center for emergency services

Premium Audio/Sound System

Upgraded speaker system and receiver for the ultimate riding experience

Remote Engine Start

Allows motorcycle to be started remotely - without fear of theft

Remote Security System

Deters motorcycle theft - uses remote activation

Remote Vehicle Diagnostics

Sends/receives diagnostic information/updates wirelessly

Rider Communication System

Wirelessly communicate with passenger and/or other riders

Run-Flat Tires

Can be driven on for a limited distance in the event of air pressure loss

Satellite Radio

Digital quality coast-to-coast radio system offering commercial-free stations

Tire Pressure Monitoring & Adjustment System

Electronically monitor and adjust tire pressure for all types of riding conditions

Traction Control

Prevents rear wheel from spinning

Weather Protection

Protects rider from bad weather while riding (e.g., canopy) <--- My favorite stupid idea :)

Questions

How likely would you be to purchase an Airbag Crash Protection system on your next motorcycle at a cost of $2,000?

AUTOMATIC/ELECTRONIC/VARIABLE TRANSMISSION: This is a transmission that would allow a motorcycle owner the freedom to ride a motorcycle without manually changing gears using the standard clutch and gear shift method. This transmission offers the rider the ability to ride in fully automatic mode, or in manual mode (utilizing buttons on the handlebar to shift gears).

Does your current motorcycle have this feature?

How likely would you be to purchase an Automatic/Electronic/Variable Transmission on your next motorcycle at a cost of $1,000?

How likely would you be to purchase a Navigation System on your next motorcycle at a cost of $400?

If a Navigation System could also receive real-time traffic information to provide alternative routes to avoid traffic jams, how likely would you be to purchase a Navigation System on your next new motorcycle if this feature was included at no additional cost?

Since you're interested in both the portable and fixed version of a Navigation System, which implementation would you most prefer?

Some Navigation Systems provide additional features such as MP3 players and Bluetooth. If you could only select one, which of the following features would you most want to be integrated into a Portable Navigation System? (MARK ONLY ONE ANSWER)

MP3

Satellite Radio

Bluetooth - Hands-Free Operation

Real-Time Traffic

Other

None

How likely would you be to purchase a Personal Assistance Safety Service on your next motorcycle at a cost of $300 in addition to a monthly fee of $9.99? <--- They mean something like OnStar

MOTORCYCLE EVENTS…

Motorcycle manufacturers are also very interested in learning more about the types of motorcycle events (e.g., motorcycle show, race, rally, riding school, owners club event, 'demo days', etc.) that you have attended, and how influential these events are in your purchasing decisions.

Please review the following statements and indicate your level of agreement on a scale from 1 to 5 where 1 is Strongly Disagree and 5 is Strongly Agree.

Strongly Disagree

1 Somewhat Disagree

2 Neither Agree Nor Disagree

3 Somewhat Agree

4 Strongly Agree

I prefer technologies that are proven (i.e., tried and tested)

I want advanced communications capabilities in my motorcycle

I tend to be the first one among my friends to try new things

When I buy a motorcycle, I like it fully equipped with all of the latest options

I actively seek information to gain greater awareness of emerging motorcycle technologies

I would pay more for a high quality product

That's a pretty interesting survey.

The thing that surprises me is that it didn't really address suspension at all. I would have thought they would have asked:

Have you upgraded your motorcycle's suspension?

Would you pay $500 more for a higher quality suspension upgrade from the dealer?

stuff like that....

I personally think that the suspension upgrade I did to the FJR was one of the best investments I made.

Some of the other features are nice. Clearly, they could take a chunk out of the aftermarket if they decided to include things like Navigation and Communication systems with MP3, Sat Radio etc. (if they sold a lot of bikes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to focus on all of the doo-dads that are appropriate for the family mini-van and ignores the performance oriented stuff. Not that I don't want a few of those things, but most of them would add cost and some would actually reduce performance.

I personally think that the suspension upgrade I did to the FJR was one of the best investments I made.
What exactly did you do to upgrade the suspension? How much? Are you a very aggressive rider? I find the '05 FJR Suspension a little cushy...but I kinda like it. :)

What exactly did you do to upgrade the suspension? How much? Are you a very aggressive rider? I find the '05 FJR Suspension a little cushy...but I kinda like it. :)
I bought the Wilbers Racing Suspension for the FJR.

Rear Shock: Model 641

From factory:

Rebound set to 12 clicks

Low Speed Compression 13 clicks

High Speed Compression 13 clicks

Spring Pre-load 17mm

Spring: 59/59-100-150 AA=329mm

Progressive Fork Springs:

SAE 7.5

100mm Airspace

Now...do I know what that means? Kinda...I'm still learning. In English here's the deal: I bought these from a guy who had an FJR and quickly realized he missed the dirt so much that he traded it in for a KTM 950 Adventure before his Wilbers that he bought in a group buy arrived.

He weighed 195lbs. I weigh 180.

His wife weighs about 15 pounds more than Sherri (she is taller than Sherri you see)

When he ordered his, he advised Wilbers that he was a very experienced and aggressive rider and that his primary riding style would be sporting and 2up so the suspension was built for an aggressive twisty style for 2up for 30 lbs more weight than I put on it. That is great for me, because I really wanted a much steadier ride for the twisties.

What I found was the suspension is rock solid and straight as all get out with ZERO detectable rear end wobble in the turns, but when we hit it bump it's smoothed out to the point of not feeling any but the biggest potholes I've encountered. It's a miracle to me...smooth comfortable ride that extends our LD comfort range while still being at least twice as good in the twisties. Like going from a 1970 Toyota landcruiser to a 2005 Lexus. I really cannot be more emphatic about the improvement. I love the new suspension. Looks kewl too.

Oh yeah...I paid $800 for everything (but that was private market sale)