Jive ass cruise control bandaid.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
Finally rigged a temporary work-around for the chickenshit, no-ball, sissy-ass, limp-dick, commie-inspired Gen III cruise control. Took a bit of grinding, filing and cursing to get it in there. But it works just as well as it did on my Gen I; which is to say about 95% as useful as electronic cruise. And it doesn’t have any chickenshit, no-ball, sissy-ass, limp-dick, commie-inspired limit! And it will get me by until some 14 year kid figures out how to jail break the Gen III ECU or some enterprising soul steals the eurocode.

Anybody wanna a buy a gently used Kaoko?

https://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/9/9/2/fjr_throttle_lock.jpg

I have one of those. It is much better than nothing. Maybe better yet somewhere with no hills.

At the risk of being repetitious, I'm gonna post this one more time...The theory here is from the way car manufactures (Toyota) do it...I believe the FJR is the same.

The speed signals from both wheels are processed by the ABS ecu. A speed signal is then sent to the ENGINE ecu. That is where cruise control is managed.

If one could install a speedo healer (or speedodrd) on this circuit and cut the signal pulse by lets say 30% I think most would be happy.

Someone said the cluster (speedo) is can buss (fed from engine ecu). If that is correct then there is no such easy way to get the correct display. If it is NOT can buss, then another speedo healer could correct the display.

Anyway....just trying to help...

I went this route......

file_zpsce065446.jpg

Works fine too.

R

Do you guys have hills?

Locking the throttle does little more for me than freeing up my right hand for a bit.

What brand are your hand guards? Where did you get them? I have an 08 AE and I cant seem to find a pair that looks right. Yours look good on the 13.
<hijack> VStrom handguards from FJR Goodies.

Still need to get one of those throttle locks Richard. Glad to hear it's still working.

--G

Seeing one of those on a bike with electronic cruise control after all the praise and joy riders have expressed over having cc seems SO wrong

I was thinking the same thing as chuck35 when i first saw this issue. Change the input data... Sadly, this will likely affect the ABS and TCS systems as well...it depends on "where" the systems share the wheel speed signals. I am sure that even if the ABS is seperate..the TCS is not...

If you did choose to try this, you would need to convert the signals from both the front and rear wheels. I don't think there would be another option.

My speedo on my 12 is off by 5% low (says 70 when GPS says 65)... so if i had a 13... adding 5% signal to correct my speedo, would give me a cruise od 86... or if i chose a speedo error 5% high.. then i could have 90mph cruise.

Has anyone had an instrument cluster apart yet... Even if the cluster is CANbus driven, maybe it is possible, as the speedo is likely just a voltmeter(or ammeter), to get to the meter at the root, and just use a DC to DC convertor?

Or.. wait for that 14 year old to sell enough newspapers to buy a 2013 FJR and take it apart.

I was thinking the same thing as chuck35 when i first saw this issue. Change the input data... Sadly, this will likely affect the ABS and TCS systems as well...it depends on "where" the systems share the wheel speed signals. I am sure that even if the ABS is seperate..the TCS is not...
If you did choose to try this, you would need to convert the signals from both the front and rear wheels. I don't think there would be another option.

My speedo on my 12 is off by 5% low (says 70 when GPS says 65)... so if i had a 13... adding 5% signal to correct my speedo, would give me a cruise od 86... or if i chose a speedo error 5% high.. then i could have 90mph cruise.

Has anyone had an instrument cluster apart yet... Even if the cluster is CANbus driven, maybe it is possible, as the speedo is likely just a voltmeter(or ammeter), to get to the meter at the root, and just use a DC to DC convertor?

Or.. wait for that 14 year old to sell enough newspapers to buy a 2013 FJR and take it apart.
If you put a Speedo Healer to correct the 5% error you can get a higher CC and correct speed read out.

I am putting a 190/55/17 tire on next week for my trip to Canada in June so i will see if that helps a bit.

R

Do you guys have hills?Locking the throttle does little more for me than freeing up my right hand for a bit.
Oh, we got hills Chuck. Phoenix is about 850 MSL. I live at 2,500 MSL. And parts of Flagstaff are close to 8,000. Using a thumb type throttle lock to compensate for gradient changes (at least with a torque monster like the FJR) is a lot easier than you might guess. One sets the friction adjustment just tight enough to hold the throttle against engine and road vibration. Then, little micrometer changes to the throttle (when you’re on a bike that has approximately the same torque curve as an Essex class aircraft carrier) easily compensate for grade. I know from experience this don’t work so good on a 600 sportbike that needs at least 12,000 RPM to develop any thrust. But on the Feejer, I find it only marginally more bother than a true cruise control.

And there’s one other little advantage. I’m a serial waiver. I wave at other bikes, mopeds, Segways, scooters, anything on two wheels. (My GF thinks it’s a sickness. But it’s not. I can quit waiving any time I want. Seriously. I can quit if I want to.) This includes waiving to other two wheelers I’m passing. I can set the throttle lock to keep me accelerating around the passee while freeing up my right hand for the obligatory wave. I don’t think there’s any way to do that with cruise?

Really boyz.. How often do you CC past 85?
My thoughts exactly...

--G
Well I could have used it out West last year. At 80 MPH speed limits travel is 90+. However if it would have set to over 85 I probably would not have used it. Traffic flow and idiots would have had me insane with on and off cruise. It was all wrist to stay alive and safe. And when on roads where I could have used 85+ I having too much fun seeing how far and how long I could run over 100+. I got 122 GPS and held it for a few miles but never over that. I just do not get the issue but sure as hell would like a 2013 so I could bitch too!

Latest posts