Judging interest for custom trailers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1don

Reaction score
Trying to gauge interest

I took my trailer by for a friend who builds custom trailers to take a look at. After walking around it a few times he started telling about how he would have built it if he were to build one. He started tell me about how he would have built it all from aluminum instead of steel, for the weight savings, with a wishbone type of frame. He showed me a picture (see below) of a trailer he built for a fellow to pull behind his Boss Hog. Instead of having the front mitered or squared off everything is bent to a radius. He said he would mount the torsion bar type axle (better ride) on a slider so you could balance the load better. He would use 12” aluminum mag wheels with radial tires, cover the top with aluminum checker plate, use recessed LED lights, and conceal the wiring. Then he went on to tell me that he could do the frame in either color matched powder-coat or polished whichever I liked better. He liked that my trailer bed was level and not on an angle. That was a big mistake most people make in building trailers. One trailer doesn’t fit everything; they need to be level to pull right.

I asked what something like that would cost to have built and after mulling things around in his mind he told me somewhere between $1,500.00 & $1,800, depending on how many he was to build. Of course the first one will be the hardest and most expensive to be used to work out all the problems. He told me that if there was enough interest, hopefully 5 people, he would be willing to build a prototype so everybody could actually see what he comes up with instead of just taking him for his word.

ANY INTEREST?

trailer.jpg

Trying to gauge interest

I took my trailer by for a friend who builds custom trailers to take a look at.

[/quotesi

I'm not interested in getting getting another trailer. But....

Is this trailer to carry an FJR or some other motorcycle or be pulled by a motorcycle? If it is to carry a motorcycle I would recommend replacing the front chock or build it so it could use a Condor or similar chock. I had two similar to the one pictured here in a Logan Coach trailer to haul my FJR and my wife's VStar 1300. I could not secure the front wheels adequately without putting undue stress on the front end.

The trailer pictured was actually built for a fellow to tow a sport bike behind his boss hoss. And to show the wishbone style of frame.