Just recieved my Penske 8983

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
Well, the 05 Enterprise has 33,000 miles on it and I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new Penske 8983 with the remote do dad reservoir thingy.

Got tired of the bike feeling like it had a hinge in the middle of the frame. :blink:

My question is, and I have done a search, where is everyone mounting the reservoir if you did not get the nifty mounting bracket.

I purchased mine from my local non franchise repair shop for $707 plus tax and shipping, and it just came with some rubber dampers and a couple of large worm drive clips.

Any help would be appreciated :clapping:

Skippy

I just removed my old shock to mount a 8983. I've got the bracket, but in looking at it, I bet it would mount nicely across the frame on the long/flat bracket that the Hard/Soft adjuster lever mounts to. Obviously, this lever will go away with the new shock and the bottom of this bracket is fairly flat. It looks like there would be plenty of room vertically between this bracket and the top of the swingarm.

While I have the "nifty mounting bracket" I may look into this - I'm not terribly thrilled with having the reservior hanging off on the side of the subframe - it looks tacked on to me.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I mounted mine with out the bracket (GP suspension i presume) and hated it, then bought the bracket from GP, after a little head scratching got it mounted and like it where it is.

Without Bracket. Actually i just realised this is not my bike, not even sure i took the picture.

oh well.

sideviewofresi2.jpg

This where it goes with the GP bracket.

P1020099.jpg

R

It's on, what a breeze to install, thanks to Warchilds excellent write up on fjrtech.com on the wilbers install, probably took less than 35 minutes, I ended up mounting the reservoir where the soft-hard adjuster used to be.

Thanks for the input.

Skippy

It's on, what a breeze to install, thanks to Warchilds excellent write up on fjrtech.com on the wilbers install, probably took less than 35 minutes, I ended up mounting the reservoir where the soft-hard adjuster used to be.
Glad it worked out. If I might ask, what did you do for a bracket and attachment? Just hose clamp it to the flat bracket? Were those three studs that hold the adjuster in the way?

- Mark

Glad it worked out. If I might ask, what did you do for a bracket and attachment? Just hose clamp it to the flat bracket? Were those three studs that hold the adjuster in the way?

- Mark
I did just use the rubber dampners and hose clips that were supplied, the forward one sat directly against the subframe, the rear one raised the reservoir clear of the 2 screws (just) and it looks just fine.

Skippy

Does that mounting point affect accessibility to reach and adjust the preload? I was going to get the GPSuspension bracket also, but may not now.

Thanks for the input.

Skippy
Can you post a picture of that? I really don't want that thing hanging on the outside of the bike. It isn't even color co-ordinated.

Thanks for the input.

Skippy
Can you post a picture of that? I really don't want that thing hanging on the outside of the bike. It isn't even color co-ordinated.
Just took this with my cell phone.

As you can see, it sits behind the heel guard and is out of the way, i did have to zip tie the hose to the back of the mud flap, however, there was already a hole there from the factory to push the zip tie through.

Skippy

Penskemountingpicture.jpg

Does that mounting point affect accessibility to reach and adjust the preload? I was going to get the GPSuspension bracket also, but may not now.
You can get to the preload ring from the other side when the side panel is off, and it should only need setting once.

Skippy