K&N Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the search, but I'm sure we've discussed K&Ns before.

Some folks think they are great, others think they do not filter small particles well and let some through.

Personally, I use a UNI filter, which is a re-useable oiled foam air filter which does trap fine particles well.

Once upon a time I bought two K&N air filters from a guy at a great price. I've been using them for about 70,000 miles so far. They are a PITA to clean and re-oil properly. You simply MUST let them dry overnight before re-oiling, which for me, means you must have two, so one is always ready to go.

When properly and generously oiled, I can't see any evidence that the K&N allows particles to pass that the Yamaha OEM does not. My airbox is always spotless-clean, forward of the filter. However, I'm willing to bet that the additional oil I apply, negates any improved airflow of the K&N.

If I had not bought them at a very good price, I'd be filling a bit ripped-off for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a K&N in my old FJ1200 for about 60,000 miles and no issues with it at all. The engine was still strong and using no oil at all when I sold it at almost 90,000 miles. I have one in my GMC Sonoma with over 285,000 miles and it too doesn't use any oil. My guess is if it's letting dirt in it can't be enough to wear anything significantly. Haven't got one for the FJR yet but probably will soon.

As for cleaning I think that K&N recommend cleaning and oiling every 50,000 miles so unless you are riding an awful lot that isn't much of an issue. Can't remember the last time I washed the one in the truck though it's been more that that for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
...As for cleaning I think that K&N recommend cleaning and oiling every 50,000 miles so unless you are riding an awful lot that isn't much of an issue. Can't remember the last time I washed the one in the truck though it's been more that that for sure.
There's absolutely no way I'd go much over 8,000 miles between cleaning and re-oiling. At 8,000 miles my K&N is pretty damn nasty!

...As for cleaning I think that K&N recommend cleaning and oiling every 50,000 miles so unless you are riding an awful lot that isn't much of an issue. Can't remember the last time I washed the one in the truck though it's been more that that for sure.
There's absolutely no way I'd go much over 8,000 miles between cleaning and re-oiling. At 8,000 miles my K&N is pretty damn nasty!

If I remember correctly K&N mentions that their filters work better when they get dirty. Not sure why but that might be why they recomend such high mileage before cleaning them.

Here's an excerpt from the K&N site regarding cleaning intervals

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

If you'd ride more on the pavement and less off road, the filter would likely go 8,000 miles between cleanings!