K&N

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrBluedevil

Reaction score
Does the filter as shipped in the package have the oil on it already, can not tell from the packaging on the filter, received from EOM. :unsure:

Or does it need to be coated prior to the first use.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
well, in that case...

Every K&N that I've bought in the past (3 of them) have come dry, but included a tube of oil to use before the first use. (in fact, I've got one of these tubes still sitting here).

Unifilter does NOT include oil with the filter, which really sucked when I ordered my filter and couldn't use it. I had to wait on a second order for the service kit before I could install the filter.

Interesting. I'm 3 for 3 the other way. The last unoiled I got was in about 1999.

K&N's don't take much oil, not as much as you might think. This most common problem with those filters is over-oiling.

I would think the amount from the factory was correct, but without seeing it firsthand I wouldn't know.

From the K&N FAQ. Emphasis added.

17. Do the filters come pre-oiled or must they be oiled before using?
K&N filters come pre-oiled and ready to use. The filter medium is made from layers of white cotton gauze. The oil has a red dye added to show how much is being applied. If the filter looks pinkish-red, it is oiled. It is important that K&N air filters are never used unoiled. This would greatly degrade their filtering ability.

27. How much oil should I use to re-oil my filter after it is cleaned?

To determine the amount of oil needed for your filter, enter your filter's K&N part number in the Search by Part box on our Application Search Page. If you don't know the part number you can look it up on the same page. Be careful not to over oil your filter.

Hurm, guess I haven't gotten one of the newer ones. To be fair, the last one I got got (2003) was a new-old-stock item for the '86 radian.

Damn. So that Uni that is wrapped in pretty paper sitting under my tree will need a farkle for itself before I can use it? And I need to pay shipping for the second package! Hopefully the person my kid ordered it from mentioned that the kit was required and added it to the initial order.......

Do I have to use Uni oil to for the Unifilter or is there some generic stuff that does the job?

Do I have to use Uni oil to for the Unifilter or is there some generic stuff that does the job?
I guess I'm the only one able to go to manufacturers websites today.

From the Unifilter FAQ. Emphasis added.

Q: Can I use motor oil on my Unifilter.
A: No! Motor Oil will drain off the filter and can cause damage. Use only Uni Foam Filter Oil or a comparable product designed for foam air filters.

Damn. So that Uni that is wrapped in pretty paper sitting under my tree will need a farkle for itself before I can use it? And I need to pay shipping for the second package! Hopefully the person my kid ordered it from mentioned that the kit was required and added it to the initial order.......
Geezer, your daughter put the oil in your stocking....

OK, I looked around some and found that both Silkolene and PJ1 make cleaner and oil for foam filters. So I should be able to find it locally. Still, it seems like they should include a can of oil with a new filter.

Go buy yourself some Maxima FFT at any motocross shop. Also Yamaha Foam Filter Treatment is the same damn stuff, just more expensive. You will never use anything else once you try it.

Massage the filter oil in well and don't over oil it! It will become the nastiest, stickiest filter snot you ever saw in about 30 minutes.

Almost all the other brands have viscosity problems in heat and tend to settle in all the wrong places. Trust me on this one. I KNOW foam filters. It doesn't get any worse than sand and wet sand in the summer on a motocross track.

Maxima FFT is worth the drive to find it.

Does the filter as shipped in the package have the oil on it already, can not tell from the packaging on the filter, received from EOM. :unsure:
Or does it need to be coated prior to the first use.

Thanks
as others have pointed out - if its pink - its oiled.

most folk over oil

to check you might stick a piece of paper on the filter and see if it stains with oil

trick for oiling is to find a plastic baggie and put filter and small amount of oil in the bag. you can rub it in from the outside of the bag and not get your fingers all messy. Either save the bag for next time or throw away.

Get a filter cleaning kit from just about any bike shop and clean the thing more often than the 50,000 miles or whatever they say it is. Clean in a good biodegradeable fluid - and then re-oil using the baggie method. Worked for me on my dirt bike. much harder on the car K&N as finding a bag isn't so easy. They also make a spray on oil that is pretty convenient.

Go buy yourself some Maxima FFT at any motocross shop. Also Yamaha Foam Filter Treatment is the same damn stuff, just more expensive. You will never use anything else once you try it.
Massage the filter oil in well and don't over oil it! It will become the nastiest, stickiest filter snot you ever saw in about 30 minutes.

Almost all the other brands have viscosity problems in heat and tend to settle in all the wrong places. Trust me on this one. I KNOW foam filters. It doesn't get any worse than sand and wet sand in the summer on a motocross track.

Maxima FFT is worth the drive to find it.
Thanks Jeff, that's the kind of information I was looking for. I found this stuff on the web easily enough and there are some dirt bike shops in my area so I should be able to find it on the shelf some place. That is if I don't find some in my stocking :D .