Kamloops, BC to Lillooet, BC road report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
As my riding buddies are all still 'working stiffs' and couldn't come out to play, I decided to ride to Lillooet today.

I took a few pictures along the way. I still don't have a Go-Pro, but at least these should give you an idea of the excellent riding 'in my backyard'.

Headed out of Kamloops - a good start.

1-1.jpg

Decided to stop at the Kamloops Lake lookout - I usually zoom right by.

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Kamloops Lake is actually part of the Thompson River. After passing through Savona and over the bridge, the lake goes back to being a river.

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

Decided to take a quick side-trip to Walhachin (pronounced Walla-sheen). Not much to see, the hamlet has one street, a handful of houses and a small museum.

A few years back it was taken over for an episode of 'The X-Files'.

7-1.jpg

Now that's a nest!! Momma took off and sat in a tree until I went.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10-1.jpg

Nice river views.

11.jpg

Back on the highway and on to Cache Creek aka Crash Creek and Crotch Creak

12-1.jpg

Not much to see there, so I head north then west.

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

The following pictures are of Hwy 99. Known as the 'Sea to Sky Highway', it's a great ride to Vancouver via Lillooet, Pemberton, Whistler and Squamish.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Oops!

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

And here we are.

24.jpg

There are three bridges into Lillooet, the old wooden road one, the newish concrete one and the railway.

25.jpg

27.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

I can't resist a GOOD bakery. This one is run by a bunch of German ladies. Before heading home I loaded up on some excellent baking.

29.jpg

Enjoy!

Al

I like taking the old Kamloops Hwy, then Merritt to Spences Bridge, then up and over to Whistler.

Still snow up thru Duffy Lake, or ???

Nice shots

I like taking the old Kamloops Hwy, then Merritt to Spences Bridge, then up and over to Whistler.

Still snow up thru Duffy Lake, or ???

Nice shots
Thanks Barb. I have a fairly basic (idiot proof?) camera that takes decent pictures. Somehow I (or Photobucket) screwed up the re-sizing.

Anyway, I was talking to a couple who had just driven up the Duffy Lake Rd., they said it was in great shape - but they were in a car :D

One of my riding buds has a boat moored at False Creek. He suggested we ride down via Duffy Lake Rd. and spend a couple of days with 'the beautiful people'. Just has to get his wife's permission to go. ;)

Looking forward to that ride as I head for NAFO. I'll spend the night in Valemount then take the Parkway down to Castlegar.

Looking forward to that ride as I head for NAFO. I'll spend the night in Valemount then take the Parkway down to Castlegar.
Hi Panman.

You've kinda lost me there.

I'm guessing you'll be going 'the long way round' - through Jasper, then down Hwy 93/95 then Hwy 3?

Al

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I think that road (highway 99) will always be my favourite. Going there real soon (hopefully this Friday!).

IMHO, pictures and text will always be better than a video. Maybe I'm a little strange, but I almost never watch posted videos of ride reports.

Hi Panman.

I'm guessing you'll be going 'the long way round' - through Jasper, then down Hwy 93/95 then Hwy 3?

Al
I was being lazy! Post 5 in the "Getting to NAFO" thread.

Or here

Hi Panman.

Al
I was being lazy! Post 5 in the "Getting to NAFO" thread.
You beat me to it! I remembered your post later. That will be a great ride.

thanks for sharing! Timely too, we'll be heading over some of those very roads in about three weeks.

I'm assuming 5 to 16 to 93 thru the park will be open?

thanks for sharing! Timely too, we'll be heading over some of those very roads in about three weeks.

I'm assuming 5 to 16 to 93 thru the park will be open?
It's open all year, however, 93 does close a few times a year in the dead of winter cause of snow. *Should* be safe till end of September.