Keeping plugs dry while charging from glove box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walt.r

Reaction score
I have looked through the forum for any ideas on drilling holes or what to do to close the lid or something to keep the plug-ins dry. Not sure of the best route to go being that I dont want the cords powering my gps and radar detector to be permanenlty routed/attached to the bike so I can use them in my other vehicles. Does anyone have a solution aside from taking a dremel to the lid of the glove box?

You could run the USB cables out through the bottom of the box. It would mean a hole, but it should be rain-proof and not permanent.

There is a rubber drain plug in the bottom of the box. Take it out, feed your plug through that. A bit if a fiddle, but doable.

I just run a cable out the door. It closes and latches on it. I have ridden in some heavy rain and never got any in there.

I just run a cable out the door. It closes and latches on it. I have ridden in some heavy rain and never got any in there.
This is what I did on the rally last weekend. I rode through several hours of heavy rain with none finding its way into the glovebox. I have the superior Gen 1 though, so I couldn't comment on the later bikes.

Also, a PO fitted a key-lock on mine, doing away with that silly solenoid latch, so it might work differently.

+1 GPS cable has been run out the door for the past 3 yrs and has NEVER been an issue. Many many miles in monsoon like PNW rain, even some snow, with no problems. If I can't KISS, it probably wouldn't happen given my complete lack of electrical and/or mechanical skills. (Skills?
not_i.gif
)

Keep going!

P8013663.JPG

+1 GPS cable has been run out the door for the past 3 yrs and has NEVER been an issue. Many many miles in monsoon like PNW rain, even some snow, with no problems. If I can't KISS, it probably wouldn't happen given my complete lack of electrical and/or mechanical skills. (Skills? :not_i: )

Keep going!

[img=[URL="https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-23pROVCRGnk/U9vkpk88MDI/AAAAAAAAIDc/ndTV2U0UxK4/s640/P8013663.JPG%5D"]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-23pROVCRGnk/U9vkpk88MDI/AAAAAAAAIDc/ndTV2U0UxK4/s640/P8013663.JPG][/URL]
Me too! I made it easy on the door too by using a flat micro usb cable instead of a round one.

There is a rubber drain plug in the bottom of the box. Take it out, feed your plug through that. A bit if a fiddle, but doable.
This ^^^ works and keeps cords out of the way. I bought a spare set of power cords for all my gadgets, cords stay with the bike(s) gadgets move.

--G