Kevlar anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals... anyone have feedback on the kevlar gear?

https://www.motoport.com/search_result.asp?...ax=760-752-9317

I bought Cortech gear in Oct, never used it, and trying to sell it so I can get the kevlar. Kevlar is lighter and stronger than leather, and doesn't hold in the water. But I'm curious if it's stiff or loose and if this vendor is highly recommended.

Hey guys and gals... anyone have feedback on the kevlar gear?
https://www.motoport.com/search_result.asp?...ax=760-752-9317

I bought Cortech gear in Oct, never used it, and trying to sell it so I can get the kevlar. Kevlar is lighter and stronger than leather, and doesn't hold in the water. But I'm curious if it's stiff or loose and if this vendor is highly recommended.
I've seen a couple sets, and they look well built. The people wearing them rave about em. Considering a set myself down the line a bit.

I own the Ultra Cordura11 jacket and pants that I purchased from this vendor, so I really can't report on the Kevlar. However, I can recommend the vendor both for fit and customer service. The company is careful to provide the correct fit. I have had my jacket for nearly 4 years now. The only issue I had with it was initially when one of the snaps came loose shortly after I purchased it. The company was prompt and quickly had the repair done and the jacket back to me, and sent along a free sweatshirt with the return. The usual disclaimer about any financil interest etc..., but I have nothing but good things to say about Cycleport.

There's been many posts on this subject. I like mine real well. Somewhat bulky but great quality and protection. I got the mesh because I live in NorCal where the temps get over 100 deg. in the summer. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
CRMH,

I don't have any experience with the referenced website gear... however

I do use the Draggin Jeans (made in the USA) that look just like regular jeans either in black or regular denim with Kevlar lining. Around $99 a pair. Very comfortable and just a little heavier than regular jeans.

Use the Joe Rocket jacket with ballistic mesh.

Hope you find a quick and cheap solution to your cycle problem.

The Motoport (Cycleport) gear is very high quality, and they were one of the vendors featured at WFO last year. I bought their 2-piece Ultra 2 Mesh kevlar 3/4 jacket and pants in June of 2006, and I've been very pleased with the purchase. It offers extremely versatile weather protection (I've ridden in 20 degree F to 106 degrees F) , among the very best in road rash and crash protection, and you need pack just a single set of gear for all riding conditions. What's not to like? It's pricey, but even at that it is far, far cheaper than skin grafts.

I bought a second set at WFO last year for my passenger.

Use the forum's search feature for Motoport / Cycleport and you'll find lots of feedback from members.

The search feature is your friend

with that being said I have the Air mesh and if needed I would plunk down the money all over again in a heartbeat.

worth every penny

Just purchased the Ultra II pants in Kevlar, haven't received them yet but what I can tell you is that any and all questions you may ask will be answered without hesitation when you call. I called and had gotten all of my questions answered in a nononsense manner. Even got more info than I wanted because they had new options and new body armor. They wanted me to make an informed decision. Will let ya know when I get them and try them on, but for the quality and service, you won't go wrong. Good luck!

The Ultra II stuff (I have the mesh) is stiffer than a sailor's d..k on leave :rolleyes: but.......

Throw them in a dryer with a pair of old tennis shoes and spin them for a few hours and they'll soften up. Better yet, wear them (often). Mine have become much more flexable with use (I did the dryer routine also).

I, after a lot of www research and a lot of appreciated feed back here, ordered an air mesh kevlar jacket and air mesh kevlar police pants. I got the wind liners and no insulation as I am a skier and have higher tech (read lighter/less bulky) insulation than what they offer. They have shipped and I should have it by this Friday :yahoo: . I got a lot of pm's asking for reviews, so I will be adding to my last thread about the stuff this weekend. I am a cynic by nature and, having not seen any of the gear but in pictures, am looking forward to my first impressions. I was one of those who wore jeans, tee shirt and tennies to ride in the summer and now that I have significntly stepped up the miles in the saddle, I needed to act a little more responsible and gear up---I, being someone who supports freedom, support your right to choose--so please no comments about that statement. It was the right decision for me. I wear leather in cooler weather and needed something for summer. The only gear I have ever worn has been leather and none of the mesh/textile stuff felt any more protective than my tee shirt and jeans even though I knew better. For me the kevlar seemed like the only choice and I am interested in the technology more than anything, so I will make due and be satisfied no matter.......we'll see.

I got the air jeans from them for my wife and myself, very nice and useable down into the 50* If I did it again I would just get the non air jeans..the fabric is different in front vs the back and does look odd.

Cary

I have the mesh Kevlar pant and jacket. I have been riding it in for 2 months and 7K miles. I love the stuff.

I will write a review sometime in the next couple weeks. I wanted to get some miles on it before writing a review.

I have the Kevlar pants. They're great. Good fit; good customer service.

I haven't had a get-off, so no firsthand experience with the "superior" protection Kevlar's supposed to provide. But everything else is as advertised and referrenced on this board. I'd buy them again.

Lookie here: cycleport site:fjrforum.com
Someplace in there is my write-up following my get-off on my KLR. There are many other reports about the gear.....

AND...this thread started by CRMH Eagle some months ago!?!?!?!?!?

This is what I get for posting when work has drained me to the point I'm too tired to read when I come home. I started a new job in mid October and took responsibility of the financial department. Due to tons of problems that I discovered it has taken 3 months to close 2007's books.... which I did last week. Work stress, overtime, weekend work, blah blah blah has taken a physical toll upon me. Within 4 weeks or less we'll be caught up and my brain won't be overloaded anymore. It's been so crazy that in the afternoons at work I've forgotten what I did that morning.... anyone else relate?

Lookie here: cycleport site:fjrforum.com
AND...this thread started by CRMH Eagle some months ago!?!?!?!?!?

This is what I get for posting when work has drained me to the point I'm too tired to read when I come home.

<snippage>

It's been so crazy that in the afternoons at work I've forgotten what I did that morning.... anyone else relate?
Yes....I understand. BTDT, but took a lateral move to let the "young bucks" suffer the madness.

I only found your original post when I used Google to answer your question. :eek:

I could have been kind, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Latest posts