Key Blanks For A 2003 FJR; Source

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinden

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for good quality key blanks for a 2003 FJR?

I would like to obtain some spares and have confirmed that blanks cannot be obtained from Yamaha :( (at least in Canada).

I have seen them on ebay. and blanks for r6, r1, and I think the keys for the roadstar line use the same blanks. That should open up some possibilities.

Good Luck

I too would like a few spares. I have an '07. Does anyone else feel like the originals are kind of wimpy/cheesy? Sometimes after opening the luggage or the seat I find that mine are twisted out of shape and have to be flattened or straightened before they work easily in the ignition. What's up with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else feel like the originals are kind of wimpy/cheesy? Sometimes after opening the luggage or the seat I find that mine are twisted out of shape and have to be flattened or straightened before they work easily in the ignition.
Thats why I am asking, too.

I bent mine (it bent too easily IMHO) and I carefully straightened it between two pieces of hardwood, in a vice. However, I have concerns about this experience weakening the metal.

Got my copies made by a local locksmith, good quality steel blanks with flat heads so I can shove the spares in my wallet, without fear I will bend them out of shape.

Got my copies made by a local locksmith, good quality steel blanks with flat heads so I can shove the spares in my wallet, without fear I will bend them out of shape.
Thanks, I should have thought of that, there is a locksmith our company uses for all of our facilities, I will check w/him.

Amazingly, the Bin O' Facts says:

Ignition Keys:

Equivalent part numbers: Ilco YM63, Taylor X248, Curtis YM63,Silca YH35R

Same blank is used for: Yamaha: YZF, FJR, FZR, FZ1, R1, GTS, XJ, V Star, Road Star, Royal Star, Venture, F1, Warrior & TT-R models - 1993+. Vino Scooter 2001+.

Other Keys: Givi V46: Taylor X76

I've been using the Ilco YM63 which my wife hasn't been able to destroy which is testimony to their strength. You really don't want a really hard key because the tumblers will wear instead of the key.

Does the Canadian ignition use a plain key with the immobilizer? (And, never lose the RED key.)

I am more and more amazed by that Bin-O-Facts every day. I just called a local locksmith and gave him the numbers for the Taylor blanks referenced there. He has them in stock so it looks like things are just dandy on the key front. Go Bin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I got several blanks from ebay for the Vino Scooter for like $4.95 each...identical to the ones advertised for the R1/R6 with the plastic yamaha head except those ones were $2-3 more.

I did the same. I do have a funny story though.........I bought a set of bags and a topcase, both from different members last winter (NY & TN) . Anyways, the saddlebags had the locks but no keys.......the topcase had a lock and key. Oddly enough, the topcase key opened the saddlebags......strange EH???

I see you're from Pekin airboss.........my entire family is from there! Spent many summers there growing up as a kid.