Keylock bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
So on the left saddlebag, the keylock fell out. Both bolts came loose and now the case just sits shut on its own. I found the lock cylinder and 1 of the 2 bolts that keep it on. It has those small stupid tamper-resistant torx head on them. Anyway, I'm not sure where I can even find these dumb things. Any know what size they are? Have some they want to sell me? Any help is appreciated.

Tim

Just replace them with a similar size, maybe very slightly larger Philips-head bolt. Use blue Loc-tite as the original dealer obviously didn't.

Take the one you have left to your local hardware store and match it up. IIRC they are M3 X 10 and as wfooshee says, get phillips head stainless, add a dab of loctite and you're good.

--G

You've already got perfect advice on what to do. There is absolutely no reason for Yamaha to use Security Torx screws for that application. The only way to loosen those screws is to open the saddlebag (or have an idiot dealer that doesn't use the required blue locktite which allows them to loosen all on their own). If the saddlebag is already open, why would a thief then need to take those screws out? So he can steal your lock? Why not steal the whole bag? It just doesn't make any sense to me....