Kili Jacket OR heated vest/sleeves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I picked up my 05 on 28 May 05. I have to admit that I've spent prodigious amounts of money on it and on gear for 2. I'm at the point where I'd like to extend my riding (N. VA) for another month or two - or longer - but can justify EITHER heated gear OR a Kili jacket. I've ridden with my Mesh tex II summer jacket and liner and a neck gaiter in about 45 degree weather and I didn't die! Wasn't exactly warm, but not too bad. While I think the heated gear, even under my summer jacket/liner would be schweet - I'd probably get more use out of the Kili jacket. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts/experience on this issue. Jim

Here's a report from a guy who used a Mesh Tex jacket for colder weather. Added a waterproof windbreaker outer layer for cold protection when needed. Just another way you could go.

MeshTex II review

I have to admit that I've spent prodigious amounts of money on it and on gear...
I make payments every month and think I spend more on ancillary stuff. Maybe a twelve step program would work. As for a gear recommendation, I'd go with just layering under a good windproof jacket & pants. Add some V-Strom handguards with some good Gore-Tex Thinsulate gloves and a Foggy Face Guard to keep the visor clear. Then, maybe you'll be wanting some studded ice tires!

Yambone/Bob - I thought of the windproof jacket over the MT II and if I bought the heated gear even thought of my rain jacket over the MT II over the heated gear....I've got the HT Overpant w/liner so my legs are good, just got the Oxtar Matrix so my feetsees should be good, have thinsulate/gortex gloves but I think I will go with the handguards. That's the first I've seen of the Foggy Face Guard - have you tried it? I'm really leaning towards the Kili just because I think I'd get more use out of it. Thanks for your comments.

Maybe a twelve step program would work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth. Adding more gear is a never-ending process. Way more $$ when it's X 2 for the pillion and more again for year-round riding.

I don't think you would regret going the heated jacket liner route. Would make any jacket mo betta. While you're talking cold / rain protection, I've got the Yam foot guards and they are also verrry nice on a a cold ride.

Oops, 12 steps...

I have already decided on the Kili jacket. I expect that with the jacket and matching waterproof pants I won't need to carry rain gear. Up to this point I have been riding in temperatures a little below 40 degrees and damp with layers of two sweatshirts and a water resistant jacket. Good warm gloves as well. My legs get cold but the rest is warm enough. I guess if I was going to do some long distance riding in the cold I would look at the heated clothes but for commuting and normal fun riding I don't see the need and don't want to add stress to the charging system.

I would recommend the Kili jacket. I have a Mesh Tex for warm weather and a First Gear Granite (cheap version of the Kili) jacket with removable liner and Gerbings gloves for cold weather. I also have the HT Overpant with removable liner.

I have ridden in high 30 degree temps and have been fine. Jestal does make a good point to think about; the possibililty of failure of the electrical heating. I had this happen to me although it was the PowerLet outlet that failed (loose wire) not the gloves. But that was one cold ride without the heated gloves.

I have found the Granite to be very flexible with respect to the temperature range I can use it in. The Fall season in SoCal it can often be in the 40's for the AM commute but in the 80's for the PM commute. Using the liner that came with the jacket to adjust for different temps has worked great for me.