Kool Vest / Wet Vest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

Reaction score
A couple of threads this week have mentioned the Kool Vest for summer riding. I have no experience with this, and a quick search on internet shows a lot of brands, including those that dunk in water, and some that utilize freezer-packs. I must assume that for bikers, the dunk-and-ride is the only viable mode. But what about best brands or styles . . . any recommendations?

So you want everyone to post their favorite brand?

I currently use a MiraCool vestand bandana. The vest will stay hydrated, thus cooling me, for 6 hours or more in 100+ degree riding.

I used to wear another brand that looks like the Joe Rocket Sahara vest, but I found that it would dry out in about 1 1/2-2 hours.

You might also want to check this, from our friends at Google: cool vest site:fjrforum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed in the footsteps of Madmike2. I did have a Joe Rocket and would consider using it again for shorter rides, but the MiraCool just holds so much water that it remained functional by dunking once or twice a day during the Iron Butt Rally.

For an Eastern Oregon ride last summer I picked up a "TechNiche Deluxe Evaporative Cooling Vest" from Sound Rider (clicky)

I wore one of those wicking t-shirts, the cooling vest soaked in water, and a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. The vest soaks up a bunch of water and kept me cool in the 110 F heat of the high desert. :red_bandana: It saved my bacon - there's no way I'd have enjoyed the ride without it. I highly recommend one of these cooling vests. They really work.

Miracool vest... used it and the neck wraps on my trip to Reno a few years ago... really was a necessity, given the temperatures that were being hit that week. Dunk it in the morning, and depending on the rate of evaporation, maybe another sink-soak in a bathroom while gassing up later that day.

A couple of threads this week have mentioned the Kool Vest for summer riding. I have no experience with this, and a quick search on internet shows a lot of brands, including those that dunk in water, and some that utilize freezer-packs. I must assume that for bikers, the dunk-and-ride is the only viable mode. But what about best brands or styles . . . any recommendations?
I have this vest have used it for the last 5 years works great

https://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com.au/ride_cooler.htm

I've used a vest like this for the last few years.

1dd06a3c1ed6a312acdb1838e5d54bc8.jpg

It has worked ok, but last year I felt like it dried/evaporated too quickly. Almost like it didn't hold enough water. I usually carry a 1 gal. zip-lock with me so I can soak it. I might have to look at some of the other vests listed above.

Erik.

I tried one last summer and did not like it. I don't remember the brand. Maybe there are differences in the design. But what I didn't like is that it felt all clammy and just sort of stuck to my body without any air coming through it. I'd welcome any input as to whether different vests give the same feeling or not.

I tried one last summer and did not like it. I don't remember the brand. Maybe there are differences in the design. But what I didn't like is that it felt all clammy and just sort of stuck to my body without any air coming through it. I'd welcome any input as to whether different vests give the same feeling or not.
Mine feels clammy until the first 05% of the water is evaporated, then I don't know I have it on, except my torso is cool.

What kind of jacket did you wear over it and were the vents fully open? I wear Kevlar mesh, so in the heat it passes plenty of air. Some of the jackets that rely on zipper vents don't flow as much air so there isn't enough air passed to meet the evaporative requirements of the vest. I'd consider my first generation of Kilimanjaro in that category. When I was wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro Air, that jacket allowed enough air circulation to let my MiraCool vest work quite well. I also use the same company's bandana. I've used a regular cotton bandana, but they are dry in about 15 minutes.

That being said, the evap vests are not the same as air conditioning in your cage. However mine cools me at what I feel is 10-15 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. So when I'm riding in 100+ degree temps and my body feels like its 85-90 degrees, I call that a success. YMMV.

Mine is a simple cool vest. Looks like Rammer's picture. I would shop for price on this one. In my opinion, variances that you will see is just splittin' hairs.

+1 on the Zip lock bag to re-wet the vest. Worked great for me too.

Rammer Gunny!

I have a similar vest like Motoboss ($35 at Cyclegear) or some off brand. I also used a Marcee cool (a friends) vest about $125 one summer. for the extra $95 dollars I really didn't think it was much better then the cheapy.

I did have mine evaproate rather quickly in the 115º heat, but what can you expect. Otherwise it stayed wet enough until I needed fuel, then I'd re-wet the vest.

I tried a wet/cool vest a few years back. They worked for a few months then stopped holding water well. I went back to my tried and true method of just soaking a long sleeve tee shirt and wearing under a mesh jacket. This keeps me very cool, like air condtioning in hot/humid Ga summer for a couple hours. When riding all day I soak 2-3 long sleeve tee shirts and place in a trashbag and leave in saddlebags.

Steve

Latest posts