Kudos to Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
I posted this on a couple other (non Yamaha) forums. Just thought I'd share for those who may be considering buying a FJR (do it you'll be glad you did).

I wanted a FJR since they came out but stayed away becuase of heat/valve ticking issues. When Yamaha did the right thing and addressed these problems with the '06 model I knew it was time to get one. I got my '07 in april and appreciated the lower fairing cowel adjustabiltiy which allowed me to vent away the little heat I did feel on my legs.

I did however hate the throttle response which was very, very abrupt/harsh/tight. I never even thought about throttle response on any of my many bikes but this was bad. Also the clutch sucked, lurching when shifted from neutral to first and always very hard to downshift during riding. After 4000 miles I got really tired of the clutch/shifting and took the bike to a dealer who contacted Yamaha and was told to soak and replace the clutch plates, problem solved and smooth shifting since.

The harsh/abrupt throttle continued and a good friend/fellow rider did a mod to adjust the C02 settings which helped but Yamaha listened to its owner complaints and just issued a recall on the ECU. I had mine replaced yesterday and the throttle is now smooth as silk.

I wish all the manufacturers would address problems like this instead of having the dealers say "thats normal".

We know better as riders and are not stupid.

This is my first Yamaha and will likely not be my last.

Also I've read that Yamaha is addresing these and other issues with the '08 model.

Now I really love my FJR.

Steve

The harsh/abrupt throttle continued and a good friend/fellow rider did a mod to adjust the C02 settings which helped but Yamaha listened to its owner complaints and just issued a recall on the ECU. I had mine replaced yesterday and the throttle is now smooth as silk.
Hmmmmmm..... the new ECU should have done nothing to your "abrupt" throttle, because that problem is a throttle pulley issue, readily fixed by the G2 throttle cam.

The new ECU is to address the Altitude Surging problem, which was quite a serious problem for a lot of owners living in mountainous regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm..... the new ECU should have done nothing to your "abrupt" throttle, because that problem is a throttle pulley issue, readily fixed by the G2 throttle cam.

The new ECU is to address the Altitude Surging problem, which was quite a serious problem for a lot of owners living in mountainous regions.

I did do the G2 months ago and took out slack but it still didn't feel this good.

Who knows? its definately smoother and feels "normal"

Now I just need my group buy Russell seat and Penske rear shock to come.

Thanks to fellow rider Tom for changing my front fork springs and bearings I think I'll have a great bike now!

Steve

The letter I received seemed to still blamed the rider on how they ride the bike. But still they will replaced the ECU.

It seems Yamaha is always fixing a created problem. (My dirt bikes, always has a new fix for the previous years boo-boo)

They are still, in my opinion miles ahead of BMW and their Gestapo customer server people.

bob

Steve,

Have you checked the default CO settings now that you have the new ECU. I'm wondering if thats the reason you are experiancing smoother throttle then before the new ECU. Perhaps your bike likes the new settings better? What are the default settings? And have you readjusted them +7 after the replacement?

I did do the G2 months ago and took out slack but it still didn't feel this good.

Thanks to fellow rider Tom for changing my front fork springs and bearings I think I'll have a great bike now!

Steve
Steve,How do you know it's smoother.Did you get a loaner seat to go for a ride or are you using the old pillow trick again? LOL

Steve
Steve,How do you know it's smoother.Did you get a loaner seat to go for a ride or are you using the old pillow trick again? LOL
I putted around a little with the cheesy pillow trick and its smooth for sure!

Whatever, dunno but it works.

I'm ready for my Russell and to get back to riding.

Steve

I had mine replaced and the CO settings in the "new" ECU were the same as the original one. Since I had completed the jumper mod, I bumped the settings up (+5). Before that, It ran like it did with the original. That is, a surging at slow speeds/rpm (constant). One of the things people bitched about back in 06.

Capt. Bob

Had mine replaced two days ago and no complants at all.The change fixed the surging problem with altiude changes.I do not have the low speed surging.Is that part of the ECM also.I to am impressed with Yamaha and there willingness to listen to there riders.Honda just tells there riders that there is no problem and it's all in your head.Not going back to Honda untill they learn to listen to there riders.

When Yamaha did the right thing and addressed these problems with the '06 model I knew it was time to get one. Steve
I have been more than pleased with the way Yamaha has addressed issues with the FJR. Such as:

Ticker Fixes

Instant MPG fix

TPS fix

ECU Fix

Trunk Fix

Not to mention Gen II upgrades and even more upgrades for 08.

I think they have proven their commitment to the product line and I would definitely buy Yamaha again.

:) :)