LAAM Seat Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ablumny

Reaction score
Hello team

I just received a Laam seat for my 2010. I had the front done custom, the rear just re-covered.

I noticed the rear seat is digging into the back of the front seat pretty badly. Im worried about long term issue here. Anyone else see this?

IMG_0263.JPG

I also notice the front seat "squeaks" against the plastic around the gas tank. I thought I read someone had added something to the front edge of the seat to overcome this issue. Anyone encounter this?

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

I ask him about this and he told me no worries it is covered under warrantee if it rubs through I will fix it.

can't help on the front question. mine makes noise also

Last edited by a moderator:
The front seat has had material added to it to make it wider. It now sticks out further on each side, much wider than the original contour. You only have so much space to work with. The rear seat would have to be reshaped to prevent this. It looks as though you opted for just having your rear seat recovered to match the front, not reshaped for a passenger. It has to rub.

I cannot answer to the squeaking noise, there is no way I could hear that over the sound of the wind.

Thanks guys. Mostly worried about the back seat eventually ripping the front. Seems like no way to avoid and shouldn't be an issue

I found the link I was thinking of regarding the squeak against the tank:

About 19:17 into Bryan's review, he demonstrates and offers a fix. I'll see how annoying it really is when I'm riding.

Thx again for the replies.

FWIW, my Russell Daylong does the same thing. I don't know how they could widen the back of the front seat as much as they do and not contact the front of the rear seat.

As for your contact with the tank, maybe some self stick adhesive felt material? Cover the staples and the vinyl where it would hit the painted trim strip.

Yep I'm going with the contact between the two seats as a non issue. I'll put a stop of the material on the tank bezel as shown in that video to kill the squeak. All that's left it to ride on the damn thing I waited a long time for! Thx everyone

On all my FJR's I used a strip of the felt side of Velcro on the tank trim. That will eliminate the noise and protect the finish on the trim piece as well. You may want to use the same on the edge of the passenger seat to cover the staples.

On the subject of Laam seats, I have been reading the seat increases reach to the ground. I can barely flat foot at rest with the stock seat in low position. To increase the reach is a deal breaker for me. For years I have been using the AirHawk pillion cushion which does not affect my reach to the ground and seems to eliminate saddle burn. Anyone have a Laam seat that has not affected the issue cited?

On the subject of Laam seats, I have been reading the seat increases reach to the ground. I can barely flat foot at rest with the stock seat in low position. To increase the reach is a deal breaker for me. For years I have been using the AirHawk pillion cushion which does not affect my reach to the ground and seems to eliminate saddle burn. Anyone have a Laam seat that has not affected the issue cited?
Yes.

The Laam (and the Russell) are wider at the rear in order to fully support. Seth makes the front narrower so that when you stand up (and move forward) the reach is more straight down.

On all my FJR's I used a strip of the felt side of Velcro on the tank trim. That will eliminate the noise and protect the finish on the trim piece as well. You may want to use the same on the edge of the passenger seat to cover the staples.On the subject of Laam seats, I have been reading the seat increases reach to the ground. I can barely flat foot at rest with the stock seat in low position. To increase the reach is a deal breaker for me. For years I have been using the AirHawk pillion cushion which does not affect my reach to the ground and seems to eliminate saddle burn. Anyone have a Laam seat that has not affected the issue cited?
Agreed on the felt, I'll look at the back seat too.
Seth (Laam Seats) spent a good amount of time talking about where my feet wind up with the stock seat as I have a 29" inseam. We were trying to balance the right amount of material height and width for comfort without raising the overall seat height. Just sitting on the bike he hit the mark. I am well footed on both sides. Of course I won't know about long distance comfort for a while but it's warming up around here! get a hold of Seth :) , he'll walk you thru it

Last edited by a moderator:
My new Laam seat didn't change my ability to put my feet down vs. stock. It was something that Seth and I talked about vs. my experience with my Russell seat. Keep in mind that even the Russell is better now that it is well broken in. If your seat is leather you'll just have to ride it to soften up the leather and improve the 'give' in the front of the seat when you put your feet down.

How does an airhawk cushion not raise you up and increase your reach to the ground? If it is because you slide forward off the seat pad when coming to a stop, that is the same thing that you can do with any of the custom comfort seats.

Keep in mind, I am using the AirHawk pillion which is the same width as the OEM seat. I do not have to scotch forward to get flat footed. I have a 31" inseam.
But you still have something between yourself and the seat. That thickness has to result in a greater distance to the ground. It may not be much but it is there.

Echoing the others, I had Seth narrow the seat in the front to ease touchdown!

Talk to the man, he will do his best to accommodate any reasonable request.

--G