laamseats.com, Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFCJCA

It's a dry heat
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along my experience with Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats (CMS).

I called Laam CMS on Labor Day and left a message that I was interested in ordering a seat. Seth Laam, the owner, called me the very next morning to discuss options and pricing. I was originally going to order just the front piece. But after talking to Seth, I decided to go with the Solo seat (custom front and recovered rear). I shipped my seats to Laam and filled out the online order form the same day (3 September). The seat arrived by UPS at Laam CMS late in the day on Friday, 6 September.

On Monday morning, 9 September, Seth Laam called me again to confirm receipt of the seat and confirm the type of cover. He arranged to call me back on Tuesday so we could discuss my riding and seat preferences as he was getting ready to build the seat. On Tuesday, Seth asked confirmed the information on my order form and asked what I don't like from the stock seat. He also described how the new seat would support me and change the position on my hips. Seth took my credit card information and told me I wouldn't be billed until the seat shipped (either that day or the next). Return shipping to me is included in the price (about $280 total for the vinyl). Laam is currently running a 10% off special.

On Wednesday, I received an email showing the seat shipped and the tracking number. The seat showed up at my door on Monday, 16 September, less then two weeks from the time it left my house.

I haven't taken the bike for a ride yet. But, so far, I'm very impressed with the quality of work and the great customer service. During my research, I discovered that Seth previously worked for RDL. So, I have high expectations for the seat.

Here are a couple of pictures. The top vinyl is the carbon fiber pattern. The sides are smooth. Stitching is black.

IMAG0102-1.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

I have one on my ST1300. The service and instant turnaround time were just as good as you describe. The look and craftsmanship is first rate. While I cannot "ride all day and not think about my butt", I can ride all day. It was well worth the money I paid for it. I might do something different if I were riding the IBR. Since I am not planning to do that, I love the Laam Seat.

I'm anxiously awaiting mine right now. I saw a used '09 at a local dealer with a Laam seat and sat on it. That was all it took for me to call him!

I am lucky enough to live a mere 10 minutes away from Seth, and did a ride in. Great guy, great product.

I ordered mine the other day after talking to Seth for a spell. What I got is that he used to work for Rick Mayer. My build date is on September 30 and am looking forward to a comfortable butt.

Got my Laam back in June. Craftsmanship is excellent.Pricing is great. I like how the seat fits tightly to the tank. I went with a leather dual seat. I sent the seat back for adjustment which was free. Seth actually made a new cover for the passenger seat because the original didn't fit perfectly after the foam mods, and promptly shipped the seats back free of charge. I love the seat, it looks good and better yet, I'm able to spend 6-8 hours in the saddle without paying a price in pain.

This is a great vendor. Seth's customer service is the best and he's a pleasure to deal with, a real nice guy. I've never had a RDL, but this is the best seat I've had on a bike.

+ 1 for LAAM seats.

Seth made mine in July. My first long ride was to EOM in Sept, first day was 633 miles and about 300 the second down to Maggie Valley. The whole trip was about 2500 miles. The seat was great, I had no problems at all with it.

Another satisfied customer.

Did a ride-in on the way to 'clans and was impressed with Seth's attention to detail and his willingness to answer our questions. Did a dual seat and based on my SO's needs / wants, he hit that one as well. I'm planning another ride in for the S10 early next year...

--G

Just returned from doing a ride in for a Laam seat. I was in and out in a little over 2 hours. I left his place and headed for cal. 299 going to Redmond OR. The seat is the best! The ride not so much as once I started climbing into the hills it started snowing. Not my idea of fun riding in snow but my butt was doing great. All in all I've put 1000 mi on the seat and will have another one built for my next bike as this is the best seat I've had and I took off a RDL to get the Laam made.

Seth is a great guy and has the coolest dog ever except for mine.

Just out a shout out for my Laam seat that I bought over a year ago. I just put it to a good test on my 50 CC - 2400 miles in a little under 45 hours. I had absolutely no problems with riding comfort and over all body position comfort with this seat. Mine is all leather and looks just as good with 30k miles on it as the day I bought it. Nice job Seth.

After talking with Seth at the end of June I ordered F & R seats from him with a promised delivery date of August 16th or 17th. We needed the seats on 9/21/16 for our 1,200 mile ride to EOM. I received no order conformation. In fact, Laam Seats did not initiate contact with us, they only sometimes replied to phone calls and email.

When I contacted Laam several times I was told my seats were on time. When I called on 9/12/16 I was told the seats were shipping on that day. The seats didn't arrive, we later discovered that the seats had not even been built. On the day before we were leaving for EOM Seth called and said he needed information from us so he could start building the seats. Building the seats for us after we were on the road to EOM, over a month after the promised date.

Phone discussions with Seth were highly emotionally charged from his end and a couple of times the calls ended with Seth hanging up on both me and Helen on different occasions. I believe we spoke with Seth in a professional manor, such as we would talk to anyone from our daily jobs.

Seth volunteered to drop ship the seats to us along our trip route and give us a prepaid return address label so we could ship our OEM seats home. Initially Seth addressed his seats to New Hampshire instead of Knoxville. We called and got that straightened out. Seth did drop ship the seats to Knoxville and we received them 1,600 miles into our trip and 6 weeks late. We didn't get the prepaid return shipping label but that wasn't a major deal since we had a car to borrow to get the seat box to a shipper and paid the shipping ourselves.

After 1,300 miles home Pillion likes her seat. I can't yet fairly evaluate the rider's seat (not the seat's fault), I'll update this post after I can do a rider's review. The pillion seat is comfortable, it seems like the rider's seat will be good too, in keeping with Seth's seat build track record.

The customer service for us was something that no business should be like. We did get our seats dropped shipped to us which was a make-up for the seats being 6 weeks late. This is not sour-grapes from a customer who is never pleased with anyone, I worked hard to make this deal work because some people had similar communication and delivery issues with Laam Seats. I tried to prevent that from happening to our order by contacting Laam Seats and keeping a line of communications open. AFAIK, well, As Far As I Can Remember, this is the only real issue I have had with any vendor in almost 40 years of purchasing aftermarket motorcycle parts.

Others have had a much better experience with Laam Seats. I posted this as positive as I could. If you do order from Laam Seats with a scheduled need there is some chance that your schedule won't be met. There is a chance that your conversations with Seth may be difficult. Seth does seem to mean well, he just can't always do well. The product is good, sometimes the service isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
My build was late. But I expected it to be. pro- seat looks and feels great. Con- I don't find it much more comfortable than my Yamaha Comfort Seat, which is cheaper and arrives in a few days.