Lamm Seat Materials

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XHD4FJR

Reaction score
My new seat will be built very soon and I thought I wanted the top to be the basket weave material. In talking to Seth he does not recomend this material any longer but has a carbon-fiber look that he does.

Has anybody used this and what do you think of it? Maybe a picture of your seat

Thanks

The Laam seat is excellent in every way. Here is mine with Carbon Fiber style vinyl with smooth black sides. I did a ride in and watched Seth make my seats. He is a great guy and craftsman.
iTvz8xJ.jpg

Thanks thats what i needed, Pros or cons would you make the same choice again?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. No cons. I have the carbon fiber also, as was recommended by Seth. Excellent material, not slippery but will allow you to move when desired; looks and feels quality. I would buy the same material again and certainly a Laam seat.

Have Laam seats on the FJR and Tenere. Both are excellent and all day comfortable.

Went with the CF pattern with blue top stitching on the FJR...

a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

...and with Seth's new material with Titanium top stitching on the Tenere.

FtWide_zps01bc2711.jpg

--G

Glad to see this and all the positive comments for the carbon fiber material. I am due a "ride in" on the way to SW FOG 15 in May and Seth recommended the same when I asked him about getting the basket weave that I was always used to. Look forward to my new perch AND the upcoming rally.

Seth told me that the Basket Weave was very slippery and he did not recommend it. He strongly recommended the CarbonFX which to me is identical to the covering on the Sargent Seat.

This is the CarbonFX on the Laam for my ST1300 next to the Sargent:

This is the Laam in Smooth Vinyl I just had built for my '15 FJR:

Seth will build whatever you want. Leather, vinyl, textures, colors, he will build to suit.

RFH, what made you opt for a re-cover on the pinion instead of a custom match. Was it $$$ or does your wife not ride two-up much? Not my business really, just curious.

RFH, what made you opt for a re-cover on the pinion instead of a custom match. Was it $$$ or does your wife not ride two-up much? Not my business really, just curious.
Mrs. Redfish does not ride. She will not even consider it.

If she did ride the bike I would have to install a rear tire off a dump truck, reinforce the rear subframe with 6 inch channel iron and the rear shock would need the coil spring from a 3/4 ton Ford diesel to support her.
uhoh.gif

Redfish - I agree that aesthetically the Sargent material and Laam are very close. Not sure about you, but I don't find the Laam Carbon FX nearly as slippery as the Sargent.
I cannot say for sure they are identical but they are similar. The one thing I did not like about that material (on both the Laam and the Sargent) was if I left my helmet sitting on the seat, it seemed to leave lasting imprints in the vinyl. I hated that. The Smooth Vinyl does not seem to do this.

For extra slipperiness you can try Armor All on the seat. I did that once when I was 14 years old and was cleaning up Dad's GoldWing. It looked really nice when he left for work that evening. He called me from work and asked me to never, ever, ever Armor All his motorcycle seat again.

Leather here - love my seat! I do like the carbon fiber tops in this thread though.

LAAMSeat1_zps61cc03b5.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I hate buying things you can't see in person!

Redfish - I agree that aesthetically the Sargent material and Laam are very close. Not sure about you, but I don't find the Laam Carbon FX nearly as slippery as the Sargent.

This....... ^^^^ Had both - Sargent was def more slippery....

Carbon FX on mine and very happy with Seths work.... Now if I could get more time in that dam nice seat !!

Mine just arrived today in leather and what a work of art. I have a Sargent vinyl and a Russell Leather for my WeeStrom and the Russell leather is so great that I got my Laam for the FJR in leather too. Seth said that he sources his leather from the same place as Russell. I believe him; the leather on the new seat is just as soft like a glove, but tough at the same time, as the Russell. Seth did a great job of not raising the new seat much above stock -it feels the same to me in riding position. That solved the problem that I had with the Russell.

My new seat arrived today no ride as the bike and the snowblower have exchanged priority spaces but here's a couple of pictures

I'm very pleased quality of materials is 1000% over stock and workmanship is A++