Lane Sharing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
SacramentoMike said:
.....We're lucky to be in a motorcycle-friendly state (lane-splitting is LEGAL here!)
SM, you need to be aware that there is a state senator in Long Beach who has a proposition in his pocket wherein he ties 'lane sharing' in with an emergency room act. Mind you, this is not a pro-lane sharing bill he proposes. Fact is, he's being held at bay by the CHP and has yet to call their hand.

But, I tell you what... If people keep using the term 'splitting' instead of 'sharing', the public will soon start screaming for anti-lane sharing legislation. Think of it this way: Would you rather I split your head open or share my pie with you? See, 'split' is perceived as bad, while 'share' is perceived as good.

The fact is, it is safer for us to keep moving in heavy traffic (read the rest of the Fed statute and their main reason for MC's in HOV lanes is this fact alone) and if chuckleheads keep using terms like 'splitting' eventually more of us will become the filling between a Freightliner and Roll King sammich.

Yeah, this is a sore spot that really inflames my anus to the nth degree.

Admin note: This was a split from this thread. Please talk about lane sharing here and HOV lanes on the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't the sore spot be the inflamation? :D

Seriously, Virginia does not allow 'lane-sharing'. Most LEO's will look the other way if a group files up at a light 2x2. Since it is not an accepted practice around here, videos that James B. posts just floor me. It looks so dangerous because it is foreign to me and other drivers on the road here. TWN, are you making an arguement that lane-sharing can enhance the riders safety or was your comment about the sammich to demonstrate the dangers of the practice? I did pick up on your point that calling it splitting could affect the image of the practice and I agree that languace used can give a topic certain perceptions. Pro xxxx/anti xxxx and the like. Just a guy trying to understand. B)

TWN, are you making an arguement that lane-sharing can enhance the riders safety or was your comment about the sammich to demonstrate the dangers of the practice?
Keeping the bike moving in traffic is safer than sitting in traffic. From the FAQ section of the above referenced regs posted by SM:

Q. Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?A. Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.
Note my bold highlighted sentence. This concept is also taught in Cali MSF classes, and in part, one of the main reasons Cali allows lane sharing. The other being to allow CHP motor officers expeditious paths to emergency scenes.

TWN, are you making an arguement that lane-sharing can enhance the riders safety or was your comment about the sammich to demonstrate the dangers of the practice?
Keeping the bike moving in traffic is safer than sitting in traffic. From the FAQ section of the above referenced regs posted by SM:

Q. Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?A. Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.
Note my bold highlighted sentence. This concept is also taught in Cali MSF classes, and in part, one of the main reasons Cali allows lane sharing. The other being to allow CHP motor officers expeditious paths to emergency scenes.
Part of the reason we have the ability to lane "share" is the old air cooled scoots needed to keep moving or they could over heat and freeze up.

Part of the reason we have the ability to lane "share" is the old air cooled scoots needed to keep moving or they could over heat and freeze up.
Gunny!

Here is the CA Vehicle Code 21655.5. (b that states Motorcycles are OK in HOV lanes in Cali. NOTE: I can't put in a "B" in parenz or I get smiley faces. Note the one below... Our State Vehicle code has hidden smiley face langauge.

Also passing on the right ("lane sharing" what ever), the key is SAFELY. They can technically bust you any time saying it was, "unsafe". 21753, 4, 5

Yielding for Passing

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted,

the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the

right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking

vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of

headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase

the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the

overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of

an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway

in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

Amended Sec. 9, Ch. 440, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.

Amended Sec. 40, Ch. 724, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

Passing on the Right

21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and

pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following

conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to

make a left turn.

( B) Upon a highway within a business or residence district

with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or

more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

§21755 —394— Div. 11

© Upon any highway outside of a business or residence

district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and

clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the

direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where

traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such

roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of

a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as

practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

Pass on Right Safely

21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and

pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions

permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such

movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled

portion of the roadway.

Ride Safe...

Here is the CA Vehicle Code 21655.5. (b that states Motorcycles are OK in HOV lanes in Cali. NOTE: I can't put in a "B" in parenz or I get smiley faces. Note the one below... Our State Vehicle code has hidden smiley face langauge.
Also passing on the right ("lane sharing" what ever), the key is SAFELY. They can technically bust you any time saying it was, "unsafe". 21753, 4, 5
To clarify, that cites proper passing conditions on the right. It does not specifically include lane sharing. Further, the old 'air cooled' MC reason, for the most part, no longer applies.

By the way, there is difference between lane sharing and lane splitting if you want to get technical. Sharing means that you are fully in, and thus sharing, the same lane as another vehicle. Splitting lanes means that you are riding the line, which is a no-no on solid lines and can be interpreted as weaving - another no-no. If I ever get the energy to track the links, I'll post 'em.

Washington State riders should keep their eyes on HB2160 and its companion SB5985. According to Washington legistlative website, these bills are NOT dead. Both essentially are the same and would allow lane sharing for motorcycles under certain circumstances.

Texts here: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/...0Bills/2160.pdf

and here: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/...0Bills/5985.pdf

Basically, they would allow motorcyles to ride between lanes when the traffic is moving at half the posted speed and then at a speed no greater than ten mph greater than the traffic.

May I suggest an email to your legislator in support?

According to Washington legistlative website, these bills are NOT dead.
Actually they ARE dead for this biennium. They were continued from 2007 to 2008 as is the custom, but they didn't even get a hearing in 2008. The house version got a hearing in 2007, but zero action. The Senate bill hasn't had a hearing at all.

I'm sure they'll be reintroduced in 2009, but until or unless the proponents can get the State Patrol to go along or not object...they probably won't make any progress.

Even the "Dogs In Bars" bill has gotten more play than Lane Sharing in Washington! :blink:

...and yes, I've talked personally with my legislators and several legislators from neighboring districts about it.

Wouldn't the sore spot be the inflamation? :D
Seriously, Virginia does not allow 'lane-sharing'. Most LEO's will look the other way if a group files up at a light 2x2. Since it is not an accepted practice around here, videos that James B. posts just floor me. It looks so dangerous because it is foreign to me and other drivers on the road here. TWN, are you making an arguement that lane-sharing can enhance the riders safety or was your comment about the sammich to demonstrate the dangers of the practice? I did pick up on your point that calling it splitting could affect the image of the practice and I agree that languace used can give a topic certain perceptions. Pro xxxx/anti xxxx and the like. Just a guy trying to understand. B)
Interesting that LEOs "look the other way" when two bikes share a lane at a light. In MT, that is perfectly legal and taught in the handbook... as well as riding that way down the road. Cars are not allowed to do it, but bikes are. Lane sharing, in the sense that we are talking about in this thread, is not allowed in MT. Then again... do you have any idea how far you have to ride in order to run into even a TWO-CAR traffic-jam in MT? :dribble:

Since moving to CA, I have grown to LOVE lane sharing. :yahoo: I do it all the time, but I am very careful about the maneuver itself and the conditions I do it in. I do NOT want to promote the ass-hat mentality of some of these guys who run down the center line at 80-100 while traffic is moving normal, or the ones that continue to do the speed limit while traffic is moving at a snail's pace. I am amazed at how MOST drivers in this state respond to bikes. Most actually move over when they see a bike comming and they are barely moving. That said, there is alwys one guy who can't stand the fact that he will not arrive at the same time as me at the next mile marker in rush hour traffic. :glare:

a lot of the lane sharing comes from not just the air cooled argument (the rider is also air cooled in leather and helmet), but the CHP backing the safety and most importantly, AMA presence in sacramento. the law pretty much doesn't say you can lne share. It just never gets around to saying how many vehicles can occupy a lane at any given time..

If you've never done it, you find that you develop an ESP ability to see stupid drivers (most of the time)

Diver

Interesting that LEOs "look the other way" when two bikes share a lane at a light. In MT, that is perfectly legal and taught in the handbook... as well as riding that way down the road. Cars are not allowed to do it, but bikes are. Lane sharing, in the sense that we are talking about in this thread, is not allowed in MT. Then again... do you have any idea how far you have to ride in order to run into even a TWO-CAR traffic-jam in MT? :dribble:
Virginia does not allow two vehicles to occupy the same lane (SxS). Since Virginia is a commonwealth, some laws have literally been held over from the days of mules and carts and have been applied to modern circumstances. Some of the things we ask our LEO's to interpret are just absurd. It is not specifically allowed so Mr. LEO could technically cite you for a violation based on our 'lane sharing' restriction. Things like this are not a high priority to our legislature, so they go unnoticed until they impact the wrong person and then things are done.....eventually. Virginians seem not like change very much. :glare: Just as someone else pointed out, here anything that is deemed as 'unsafe' or 'reckless' is left open to the interpretation of the witnessing/responding LEO. Most of the time, as I have seen/read it, anyone who is caught in a catch-all charge (don't know another way to put it) were really asking for it anyway.