large farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I got this trailer as payment for a fabrication job and am waiting fot the papers to work their way through DMV in Kail.

While it is sitting around I thought I might as well build a hitch and see what towing a trailer is all about. Those that say that you don't know it's there are right unless you cut the apex a bit close and the inside wheel gets off the pavement. That causes some stress the first time. I will use it until I get papers and then decide whether to sell it or keep it until I get desperate for bucks.

I got this trailer as payment for a fabrication job <snip>
I have a trailer I built from a Harbor Freight kit - I had to narrow it from measurements of factory made motorcycle tow behind trailers. I have never used it. It was originally for my old HD, but I ended up with the idea that if I couldn't carry it on the bike, I didn't need it.

I've been rethinking that as it would be nice to use occasionally, esp if there is a camp-out planned; would be much easier to carry some of the gear with one of those, and for the superslab, wouldn't be that big a deal.

I can't see your hitch setup that well, but have some Q's:

> Are you using a rod end for a hitch? That is what I had; figured it would pivot up/down and side to side easier. I've known/talked to folks that used regular trailer hitches and said that they pivot fine, but others say you need them to do so; what's your experience?

> Did you make your attachment/hitch setup, or is there a place that sells them? How does it attach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount a couple of bucket seats to the top of that thing and you have a place for the boss and the mother-in-law...

Mmmmm, travelling beer cooler. I envision a large crowd gathering around it a WFO. :drinks:
I laughed out loud because its true. You'll be the rally point for any FJR get together if you carry ice. Real nice setup FJRay, I think I need one of those now.

I got this trailer as payment for a fabrication job <snip>
I have a trailer I built from a Harbor Freight kit - I had to narrow it from measurements of factory made motorcycle tow behind trailers. I have never used it. It was originally for my old HD, but I ended up with the idea that if I couldn't carry it on the bike, I didn't need it.

I've been rethinking that as it would be nice to use occasionally, esp if there is a camp-out planned; would be much easier to carry some of the gear with one of those, and for the superslab, wouldn't be that big a deal.

I can't see your hitch setup that well, but have some Q's:

> Are you using a rod end for a hitch? That is what I had; figured it would pivot up/down and side to side easier. I've known/talked to folks that used regular trailer hitches and said that they pivot fine, but others say you need them to do so; what's your experience?

> Did you make your attachment/hitch setup, or is there a place that sells them? How does it attach?
The trailer end of the hitch is as it came from Bushtec and yes it is a rod end but behind that is another swivel joint. I built my own hitch because I am cheap and broke. You can get nice store bought ones from Bushtec or Dauntless. If you use a Bushtec trailer then you need their hitch. Dautless goes with a standard ball mount or their swivel unit

Now I'm going to have to set up a little race/err-umm/ run between you and AuburnFJR. I know he can pass 6 HD at a time with his.
Nice job Ray!
No contest. He is packing a lot less weight and more skill than I am but mine has a nicer paint job so it looks faster. :yahoo:

I do have the Faster 03 model so I could keep him in sight on the straights.

I think I see a car tire in the future. :ph34r:
That has been in the plan for some time but I had a pair of Shinko 009 to wear out first. Hopefully before long I can venture to the darkside. I hope there is some cookies left. :rolleyes:

That has been in the plan for some time but I had a pair of Shinko 009 to wear out first. Hopefully before long I can venture to the darkside. I hope there is some cookies left. :rolleyes:
A car tire and a trailer...pretty soon there will be a sidecar too! Nice looking trailer Ray. Now what's this about refreshments? ;)

--G

A car tire and a trailer...pretty soon there will be a sidecar too! Nice looking trailer Ray. Now what's this about refreshments? ;)

--G
The guy I got the trailer from has a custom sidecar that matches the tailer. It all came off of a GL1500 wing and he is making a naked bike out of the wing. I don't understand his thinking. Will think about the refreshments.

That would make a nice motorhome for Duke and a few of his friends. :lol: