Late Christmas present

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warsw

Reaction score
My wife and I are finally getting around to getting our Christmas present (heated riding gear). My first thought was jacket liners (with sleeves) and gloves. As I think about it I was wondering if sleeves are really needed. I can save a little money and power by getting vest instead. I do some riding in the 20’s and a lot of riding in the 30’s. What do you all think? “Sleeves or no sleeves”?

I have never had heated gear before so I am not sure what to expect, except "WARM" I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm good without sleeves. One of my buddies had them and sold 'em - too fussy and never gets that cold around here, really. Well, except the next few days... Not supposed to see 40 degrees until Sunday. :blink:

The latest cool thing has been Warm & Safe gear....and although I have Widders they're suppose to be the shiznit....and from what I can see, don't come sleeveless.

My wife and I are finally getting around to getting our Christmas present (heated riding gear). My first thought was jacket liners (with sleeves) and gloves. As I think about it I was wondering if sleeves are really needed. I can save a little money and power by getting vest instead. I do some riding in the 20’s and a lot of riding in the 30’s. What do you all think? “Sleeves or no sleeves”? I have never had heated gear before so I am not sure what to expect, except "WARM" I hope.
Go with Widder. The sleaves are detachable. You can also connect their gloves to the ends of the sleaves.

warsw,

Santa gave me the heated jacket liner with sleeves and gloves. Used them for the first time today. It was great. I'd go with the sleeves..... if it's cold enough to need heated gear why not have your arms warm too!

Make sure you look at the Gerbing line of gear too.

https://www.gerbing.com

Rick Davis

At 40 degrees and up, Widder Vest. Lower wattage draw, about 35 I think, and lower price - about $110.

At 25 degreees and up. Gerbing full jacket liner; wattage about 75 and price maybe double that of Widder.

I have the Gerbing liner and heated textile gloves. Love'em. But double this wattage for two up and you are already running out of juice to power it.

I have the Gerbing liner and heated textile gloves. Love'em. But double this wattage for two up and you are already running out of juice to power it.
This is one of my concerns. Does this hold true for a 06? I figure around 200 watts for the gear.

I ride down into the teens on my '06A with a Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. I went with the liner so the gloves could be attached easily and conveniently at the sleeve ends. As a result I have never used the separate wiring harness that came with the gloves. I have assumed that the second set of wiring to power the gloves would be a little more fussy to "put on" and get situated comfortably for a long ride but have no personal experience that this is so. I have used the liner and gloves for 4 years now and they have never caused me a problem. I would recommend them to anyone who asked. It has greatly extended my riding season here in the frozen tundra.

Roughly speaking:

If you're always thinking about how chilly your arms or hands are, you're distracted and not enjoying the ride.

Mid-60s to low 40s, I have on my Kilimanjaro jacket with the stock velour liner.

Below that I swap the velour liner for the Gerbing electric jacket liner and usually use the electric glove liners, especially as we go down into the 30s. Don't forget to get the 2-zone heat controller, one for jacket and one for the gloves.

I had a vest and after one try of a jacket in the low-30s, there was no comparison. The jacket's the only way to go and it's in it's 3rd year.

The gloves are absolutely the way to go if you regularly ride when it's less than 40F. The difference between heated grips and gloves is the difference between holding a warm pipe and putting your hands in a pair of gloves that just came out of a clothes dryer. My only problem with winter in DC is where water runs across Canal Road and freezes.

Bob

I posted links to heated clothing vendors over in ST.Net in a thread titled "The Heated Gear Rocks Thread". I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post a link to the STN board so I'll just post the vendor links:

https://www.gerbing.com

https://www.aerostich.com

https://www.warmnsafe.com

https://www.widder.com

https://www/1stheat.com

https://cozywinters.com/heated-clothing/

I love my Gerbing and Aerostich heated gear, not really for the product quality (both of which are great) but for the superior customer service I receive from my local dealer for Gerbing and from Aerostich. I've also had good dealings with Mike from Warmnsafe when I purchased my heattrollers but they did not carry clothing at the time.

I received my Warm-N-Safe heated liner (with sleeves) about a month ago and have several opportunities to try it out. It rocks! I love it. I purchased it after having an issue with my Widder vest.

No looking back now. Sleeves and Warm-N-Safe make for a warm, happy camper.

I received my Warm-N-Safe heated liner (with sleeves) about a month ago and have several opportunities to try it out. It rocks! I love it. I purchased it after having an issue with my Widder vest.
No looking back now. Sleeves and Warm-N-Safe make for a warm, happy camper.
+1 for Warm-N-Safe full liner and Heat-Troller. I enjoyed my Widder System 2 vest with arm chaps but enjoy the less bulk of Warm-N-Safe liner with greater heat output. Oh yeah, the Widder gear is for sale XXL (48" - 50") vest, Arm Chaps (32"), Gloves (medium), power harness and on / off switch. I'm 6'2", 250#, 49" chest, 43" waist fits me well. Very good condition. $160 for everything plus shipping.

Great info on heated gear. I haven't heard anyone mention the pants linners. Does anyone use those? I am trying to decide what to buy. Obviously the jacket and gloves. I can't see myself out much below 25?????

Between the high-top boots, 3/4 length Kilimanjaro jacket, and engine heat, I find that if it's in the 20s there's not much difference between wearing rain pants that I always have onboard and the FirstGear pants that go with the jacket. Knowing that someday I'll go down, I do prefer the FirstGear pants with their protection.

Bob

Thanks Guys for all the great info. Sleeves it was. We (My wife & I) went out yesterday and got the gear. Gerbing jacket liners and G3 gloves with dual controls. I had the perfect weather today to test my new Christmas present (-10deg) but too much snow "darn". "Boy" this stuff sure ain't cheep. Over $800 and that was with a 10% off coupon. "Oh well" I know I will have a WARM smile on my face come spring. :)

I have also been considering heated gear. Grips, vest, full liner, and which brand??? Thanks for the input here. Leaning towards warm and safe liner. Then grips as budget allows. With the gear I have I am good to the low thirties for short periods till the shivers set in. I don't head out in that weather but have been "caught" in some unexpected snow storms on some mountain passes and suffered through it. A heated liner will add comfort and safety.

Thanks Guys for all the great info. Sleeves it was. We (My wife & I) went out yesterday and got the gear. Gerbing jacket liners and G3 gloves with dual controls. I had the perfect weather today to test my new Christmas present (-10deg) but too much snow "darn". "Boy" this stuff sure ain't cheep. Over $800 and that was with a 10% off coupon. "Oh well" I know I will have a WARM smile on my face come spring. :)

Glad I'm only buying for one. How did you come up with a 10% off coupon? That sure would help.

bob

How did you come up with a 10% off coupon? That sure would help.
bob
I got the gear from Wingman's Link in Portland, OR. You can get their coupon on-line. It is good for everything in the store until the end of the month. They are a great bunch to work with and there prices are fair.

Great info on heated gear. I haven't heard anyone mention the pants linners. Does anyone use those? I am trying to decide what to buy. Obviously the jacket and gloves. I can't see myself out much below 25?????
I use the pant liners along with the socks. The Gerbing jacket I have makes it easy to plug everything together and have a single wire leave my suit and plugs into the bike. I also use a dual controller velcro'd to to the left thigh of my Roadcrafter.

interconnected.gif