Launching the FJR off the Dragon !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 02

Reaction score
I'm posting this for two reasons; To show how durable the FJR is & to tell you how awesome the other riders and the the owner at the Deals Gap Resort really is !!!

Last Monday with two friends we rode about 250 miles all over the Tennesee and N.C. area. At 6:45 pm we were at SR 129 ( The Dragon). We were pushing way too hard to get back to camp when I ran wide on a turn about 4 miles in. I ran off the road and had no choice but to lock both brakes before going over the edge. You probably guessed the front end dived in the grass throwing me through the wind shield and down the embankment. The bike did one end over end flip before tumbling and rolling sideways 3 or 4 times. Ending up upside down against a group of trees about 20 feet below the road. This all happened just before dark. I picked myself up along with my mirrors, windshield, cell phone and tank bag that were scattered on the mountain side.

The bike had to be flipped right side up towed the next morning back up on to the road some 14 hours after it happened. After the bent ignition key was straightened and reinserted it fired right up as normal. There were no fluids at all leaking the entire time. It did sustain damage to the bags and the fairing is tweaked.The windshield was even reinstalled the next day thanks to the break away bolts. The brake and clutch handles were even intact.

With out the bags on it is difficult to tell the damage. Every one present was astonished.

When the word got out at the bottom of the mountain that a rider was missing, Brad from the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort organized a 12 rider search party along with his wife. Within 20 minutes I was found. Brad brought me back down to the resort, got us rooms and arranged towing for the next day. He and the other riders attitudes are the reason this sport continues to grow. I will never stay anywhere else in the future trips. Thanks again Brad!!!! MIKE

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, is Brad an owner of the motel??? If he is we should all make a point of staying at his place everytime we go!!!! If he is not then cuddo's to him for the effort he put in helping you out. Glad you were not hurt and I hope the bike can be fixed cheaply. Hats off to Brad :fans: :drinks:

Mike, is Brad an owner of the motel??? If he is we should all make a point of staying at his place everytime we go!!!! If he is not then cuddo's to him for the effort he put in helping you out. Glad you were not hurt and I hope the bike can be fixed cheaply. Hats off to Brad :fans: :drinks:

Yes, Brad is the Owner. Its Called Deals Gap Motorcycle resort. I now have parts off my bike on the "Tree Of Shame"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see that you are okay as per it could have been M U C H worse. Take it easy in tha future okay!

what color FJR parts on the tree? That way next trip up there i will know somebody famous. I haven't stayed at the resort yet, but are lunch and spent lots of hours hanging out watching the bikes coming and going. Pretty cool place they have there.

what color FJR parts on the tree? That way next trip up there i will know somebody famous. I haven't stayed at the resort yet, but are lunch and spent lots of hours hanging out watching the bikes coming and going. Pretty cool place they have there.
I donated a set of very scratched and broken mirrors. I kept the torn up riding jacket that was bungeed to the rear seat\rack. That was not the best place for it to protect me. However it did a hell of a job saving the seat when it was hit by the tree!!!!!

Sounds like you were very lucky. Don't forget to sign up for membership in the crash club.

Oh yeah, Don't do it again!

I kept the torn up riding jacket that was bungeed to the rear seat\rack. That was not the best place for it to protect me. However it did a hell of a job saving the seat when it was hit by the tree!!!!!

Probably had the the cleanest seat at the gap :yahoo: Bet the tree didn't fair too well either???

Don't we all have to learn the hard way???

I will never stay anywhere else in the future trips. Thanks again Brad!!!!
It's rare to find that kind of people nowadays. It's clear the resort is more than a business for him, and it shows. Hats off to this guy and his wife. And yes, if I'm ever there (hopefully), I wouldn't stay any other place either; they're the kind of people who give motorcycling (and motorcyclists) a good name. Glad you're fine buddy. Take care.

JC

mike...

glad you are ok, and that the deals gap folks took care of a rider...

maybe we could get a map of fjr riders that left parts at the gap...

you and i are two from west palm.. ;)

dana

:huh: Tool :dribble:
hysterical.gif

Glad you're ok Mike. Sounds like quite an experience, and one you probably don't need to repeat! That's amazing your FJR didn't sustain more damage. If you get a chance post some pictures of it.

Can someone fill me in on the Dragon? I've never been there, but have heard a lot about it and have been thinking about riding out there soon. I would think as famous (or imfamous) as the Dragon has become, the cops would be tolling this route with a magnifying glass. No? Or is the posted speed limit set high enough to where the twisty road conditions just make the route a fun run?

SR-71