LCD Clock Losing Time....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This might be a silly newbie owner question, but I couldn't find any previous reference to this problem in the forums. The LCD clock on my 04' FJR is losing time. I've reset it twice and both times, when I return the time is off (slower). Being a computer guy, I immediately assumed there is another small battery for the instrument panel (CMOS style), but I can't find a reference to that in the manual or online and as I mentioned, no one else seems to write about this issue online.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? It doesn't affect the operation of the bike and so far I see no other electrical problems. Thanks in advance for any comments/assistance.

Aloha,

Duane

B)

Yes. I experience this problem as I approach the speed of light. I find that time slows down when riding so fast . . . :rolleyes:

This might be a silly newbie owner question, but I couldn't find any previous reference to this problem in the forums. The LCD clock on my 04' FJR is losing time. I've reset it twice and both times, when I return the time is off (slower). Being a computer guy, I immediately assumed there is another small battery for the instrument panel (CMOS style), but I can't find a reference to that in the manual or online and as I mentioned, no one else seems to write about this issue online.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? It doesn't affect the operation of the bike and so far I see no other electrical problems. Thanks in advance for any comments/assistance.

Aloha,

Duane

B)
definitely have your battery load tested. Is it the stock battery? If so - I'll bet it is getting borderline.

Are you riding it much during the "reset" periods? If you are riding every day - and it is losing time, then I'd venture your battery is just about shot. If you are going a long time between rides, I'd guess your battery is just doing poorly, but will need replacing soon.

Do you put a battery tender on the bike?

On the other hand -- maybe your FJR clock is just fine - maybe it is your watch that is running fast. If you are riding aggressively and you have a self-winder.... you might be overdoing it a tad.

Aloha,

Duane

B)
definitely have your battery load tested. Is it the stock battery? If so - I'll bet it is getting borderline.

Are you riding it much during the "reset" periods? If you are riding every day - and it is losing time, then I'd venture your battery is just about shot. If you are going a long time between rides, I'd guess your battery is just doing poorly, but will need replacing soon.

Do you put a battery tender on the bike?

On the other hand -- maybe your FJR clock is just fine - maybe it is your watch that is running fast. If you are riding aggressively and you have a self-winder.... you might be overdoing it a tad.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely have the battery load tested. I've ridden the bike everyday since I got it. I'm not too worried about the time being wrong (time is not a big concern here...), but I'm more concerned about the source of the problem and the potential to get on the bike and it won't start. Thanks again.

Aloha,

Duane

B)

If the battery was weak enough to slow or stop an LCD clock, surely the bike would never start or even turn on for that matter.

There is an issue of display resets during start up, perhaps thats whats actually happening to you.

There must be a tear in the time warp continuum. It's stealing time from your clock so it doesn't keep up.

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be a tear in the time warp continuum. It's stealing time from your clock so it doesn't keep up.
I knew there had to be a logical, plausible explanation. That may also explain why Duane is 65 but doesn’t look a day over 24.
This was a previous topic of discussion that is probably still in the dead pool. I believe that the conclusion was that a weak battery was causing voltage to drop too low during initial cranking causing the clock to reset. New battery solved the ‘slow’ clock.

Easy to check! Key on, look at the clock, crank until running, look at the clock. May not happen all the time so until the battery is tested/replaced take an extra second and peek. Once again, another free diagnostic test. :lol:

I knew there had to be a logical, plausible explanation. That may also explain why Duane is 65 but doesn’t look a day over 24.
This was a previous topic of discussion that is probably still in the dead pool. I believe that the conclusion was that a weak battery was causing voltage to drop too low during initial cranking causing the clock to reset. New battery solved the ‘slow’ clock.

Easy to check! Key on, look at the clock, crank until running, look at the clock. May not happen all the time so until the battery is tested/replaced take an extra second and peek. Once again, another free diagnostic test. :lol:
Alan - Thanks! I'll try that trick too. I'm getting addicted to this site. Between farkles and DIY maintenance, I can't figure out what's on the top of my priority list. Thanks again.

Aloha,

Duane

B)

Funny this should come up! Mine has acted up a few of times. Started about a year ago. You go to start and it and it acts as if its battery is dying. Then hit the button again and it starts, no problem, but time is 1:00. It reset. Hadn't done it for a while till today. I've pulled all connectors and ck'd them, ck'd battery, and I'm scratchin my head now. Only thing I haven't ck'd is the switch. Could it be it makes a bad connection inside and fails to power up all the systems fully. Anyone have any other ideas?

As bikes age there is a possibility that the problem could be excessive current draw by the starter motor.

Check the ground lug where it attaches to the engine block. It is ugly to access, but a known problem. The ground lug is on the right front of the engine, snuggled up to a radiator hose. The lug sees all of the water you may ride through.

As always, check the connections at the battery.

If the clock is resetting it will be from either excessive current draw (such as the starter) or insufficient current (battery, ground lug, batt cables, etc.).

As bikes age there is a possibility that the problem could be excessive current draw by the starter motor.
Check the ground lug where it attaches to the engine block. It is ugly to access, but a known problem. The ground lug is on the right front of the engine, snuggled up to a radiator hose. The lug sees all of the water you may ride through.

As always, check the connections at the battery.

If the clock is resetting it will be from either excessive current draw (such as the starter) or insufficient current (battery, ground lug, batt cables, etc.).
Well that's the one attach point I hadn't looked at! Worth a shot. Had cleaned cables at battery when I checked the battery. We'll see! Thanks for the info.