Leaking oil from various orfices --> 1979 KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
This Kawie must think she's an old Harley or something. Or maybe, just maybe, parking her beside the HD has caused problems?

Can this plug be removed without bad things happening internally?

Close up pix.

After approx 15 minutes of running.

I have a solution for the alternator. New grommet and gasket. Not yet installed.

Main oil plug. Perhaps source a new o-rings?

Bonus shot of sparking plugs.

Valve cover leak. New gasket here and will install after doing a cam timing check.

I had wiped it down before taking pix, but this rubber cap is leaking too.

Just more to look after..

Sounds like the whole engine crank case may be pressurized. I remember Warchld's CBRXX doing something similar....heck of a thing to diagnose. Your PCV valve (or maybe they used something different in '79 emissions related) clogged or stuck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt may have a good point. If I remember the crankcase vents directly to the air box. The other thing is that all those gaskets came from the same set as the first failed head gasket. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all Chinese shit. You have the manual so look at it and I think you will find that plug in the oil pan has something to do with the pressure relief. I don't remember for sure and the mind tends to block the evil shit in life like KZ1300's
uhoh.gif

I'll look, and Thanks for the tip Matt - but I'm pretty sure it's a straight rubber tube from crank to airbox. When the gas petcock leaked, the crankcase filled with gas and flooded the airbox indicating a clear passage.

Just wondering, if an exhaust cam was retarded one tooth, any chance of crankcase pressurization?

I'm thinking Ray is probably right regarding gasket quality. Sigh.

I wouldn't think can timing would cause pressure. If you go through the pictures I took of the engine build you should be able to see how the cams are timed. Read through the manual cause it's really strange the way you set the cams.

Borrow a pre 1970s British bike. After you have ridden it for a few weeks you won't notice the leaks that have you concerned..............

I wonder if the fuel that leaked into the crankcase might have dissolved any sealant applied with the gaskets making them somewhat more permeable than they should be??

Any easy place to put a pressure gauge in to measure crankcase pressure? If so, does anyone know what it should be?