Leather Corbin seat waterproof?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
I have never owned a leather seat and recently purchased a leather front seat for my 09 FJR. It has some nice decorative stitching, looks nice and it is lowered and tapered so I can reach the ground better. My question for all those who ride on leather seats. Is riding or parking in the rain all that much of an issue? Does the seat get saturated and then soak you through your riding pants? Is it worth getting a waterproof cover, and would you keep the cover on while riding in the rain or only when the bike is parked in the rain. Maybe some of you guys in the Pacific Northwest can chime in with some personal experience. I understand you get a little rain out that way on occasion.

Thanks for any input.

Bill in Boston

My question for all those who ride on leather seats. Is riding or parking in the rain all that much of an issue? Does the seat get saturated and then soak you through your riding pants? Is it worth getting a waterproof cover, and would you keep the cover on while riding in the rain or only when the bike is parked in the rain.
Of course they're not waterproof because of the needle holes. Russell summarizes it well.

I received a cover with my seat and only use it if I'm parking for an extended period during a downpour. I've ridden extended periods in downpours and was least worried about the seat getting wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill in Boston,

My leather Corbin is ok in the rain for a while. I use "Nik-Wax Waterproofing Wax for Leather." It seems to plug the stitching holes well enough to repel water. If I park over night in the rain I use my bike cover. Warning: Nik does make the leather somewhat slippery.

G.

I have owned five Corbins and have three at the moment. About twice a year I use the Corbin Silicon based leather treatment. Water always beads and a puddle of water will sit on the seat for hours. I'm sure there is some water breaking thru, but no indication of damage on seats as old as six years. I also cover the bike if possible if it is going to sit in the rain. The treatment is supposed to keep the leather supple and resistant to sunlight; who knows? I don't think there is anything special about the Corbin stuff. I'd look for any silicone based leather treatment.

Of course they're not waterproof because of the needle holes. Russell summarizes it well.
I received a cover with my seat and only use it if I'm parking for an extended period during a downpour. I've ridden extended periods in downpours and was least worried about the seat getting wet.
Pretty much sums it up.

I've had a few Corbins over the years, and if left in a heavy downpour without a rider on it for a few hours they will get wet inside. It's just water, nothing to worry about. I've never had a seat that didn't last as long as the bike it was on.

If I am riding in the rain I have rain pants or liner on so I don't care about the seat. I have put about 40K on my Corbin and have never treated it. water still puddles on it.

my FJ12 with Corbin leather seat sat outside a motel overnite in Conway, NH in the pouring rain...The seat seemed dry when I got on next morning, but it had soaked thru and I spent all day with a wet arse.. Next four days up to Nova Scotia and back I had to put a plastic bag over the seat. The FJR has Corbin vinyl covered seats. I like their seats but not leather...Yes I did put all kinds of waterproofing glop on the seat..

I'm surprised. I didn't think a brick could possibly absorb enough water to be a problem.
bleh.gif

No. Not a corbin fan here.

You can't beat the better feel of leather IMHO. Once or twice a year, I use a leather conditioner that is mostly beeswax. I rub that into any seams, then "polish" the whole seat with it. Use very small amounts and rub it in. Mid-year, I'll use some Lexol leather conditioner all over the seat.... this is what the horse people use. Neither of these is slippery to sit on.

since we are now on bricks...any mason knows that bricks should be immersed in water for a while before being laid..