Leather Jacket Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 20-some-odd year old Vanson jacket, which is awesome except for the no-longer-functional zipper. It's just worn out. I've taken it to a couple of tailors, but they look at the heavy-weight leather and tell me it's not something they can handle. One told to take it to a cobbler, but when I did that he looked at me like I was nuts.

And yes, I went to the Vanson website and checked out their repair service, but that looks like it would cost me big bucks for the shipping and the service.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I've got a 20-some-odd year old Vanson jacket, which is awesome except for the no-longer-functional zipper. It's just worn out. I've taken it to a couple of tailors, but they look at the heavy-weight leather and tell me it's not something they can handle. One told to take it to a cobbler, but when I did that he looked at me like I was nuts.

And yes, I went to the Vanson website and checked out their repair service, but that looks like it would cost me big bucks for the shipping and the service.

Anyone got any suggestions?
I think you just went to the wrong cobbler! The fellow who does all the work on my duty boots is more than happy to tackle work on leather jackets.

I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I love except for the stand-up type collar it came with. The velcro would always rub my neck raw, and it was designed for a pencil neck geek, which made no sense on an XL Jacket.

Cobbler fixed it in about 15 minutes for less than $20. It is now the most comfortable jacket I own. :yahoo:

Check around at a couple of other shoe repair places, and if you are still striking out, you could try auto/boat upholstery shops or awning fab/repair shops. Either place will have the heavy duty sewing machine needed for leather or other multi-layer heavy fabrics.

Good Luck!

Don

I think Don hit the nail on the head near the end of his post. Your best bet for a local option is probably going to be an auto upholstery shop. Find one that's used to putting zippers on leather seat covers and they shouldn't have any problems.

About your only other option is going to be a custom leathers outfit, or possibly a horse tack supplier.

I dunno what it's like in your area for M/C leather shops, but down my way there's a number of places that specialize in leather and repair.

I have an old leather jacket that I don't wear much these days (seems to have shrunk some over the last 30 yrs....), butt have had I think 3 zippers put in it over time.

Here in st louis we have Ram Leather care. I had a Joe Rocket lether jacket that required a new zipper and they took care of it. I believe they are in other areas olso so you might do a search for them.

Thanks folks - good advice, as usual. I'll try other cobblers first, since they're easier to find, then try the auto upholstery route if necessary.