LED Brake / Turn strips on Saddle Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where the wire goes through the bag you need to use a rubber groumet to protect the wire from wering throug the insulation on the wire. Other than that nice job

How about a photo at night with the strips lit up? Are they red?
They are Red and Amber. I didn't have a second set of help out

where the wire goes through the bag you need to use a rubber groumet to protect the wire from wering throug the insulation on the wire. Other than that nice job
I knew i thought of something and then forgot it. The gromet really would be helpful. I loaded the hole up with the silicone

Maybe because you'd need to take out a mortgage for them? Do-it-yourself is generally cheaper... ;)

Nice job with documenting the install. The only other thing I noticed that could use some sprucing up was that you used scotch-locks to tap into your wiring. This is universally considered a bad idea in the environment of a motorcycle (vibration and moisture).

It does flash, it's just overpowered by the brake lights. If I understood his install thread, the strip is two sets of LEDs in one strip, so he has amber to the turns and red to the brakes.

It does flash, it's just overpowered by the brake lights. If I understood his install thread, the strip is two sets of LEDs in one strip, so he has amber to the turns and red to the brakes.
The Amber doesn't turn red, there are actually two sets of LEDs in the strip. If you look closely you can see the amber blinking when teh brakes are on, but your right the red does over power teh amber.

I'm looking for the same for the side of the bags, but no luck yet

My hand slipping on the brake lever :D

I don't have a brake flasher, ibut i'm sure it can eaily be hooked up. these LED strips only have 3 wires. + for Amber, + for Red, and shared -

Next it was time to manually position the LED's on the back of the bag. The indentation of the reflective material was a good place to drill a hole.
Couldn't they be mounted by keeping the wires totally outside the luggage pods, not drilling holes to go in and out?

Those are definitely bad-ass! I think I need some....

Why fool with the bags which are removable ???

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

...and spreading your lights out increases conspicuous-ness.

Yeah, I'm sure you could keep the wires outside. DRilling holes in those expensive bags gave me a bit of a shiver down the spine too. ;)

You could even get a little fancy and put some kind of wire molding on the bag to restrain and hide the wires. Or cover them in black 90 mile-an-hour tape (aka Duct tape). Or just use self-stick tie-wrap pads if you wanna go with the function over form thing.

Last edited by a moderator: