Less expensive headsets for Starcom1 users

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We have two Starcom1 Advance units, which each came with 2 headsets, but I also have 4 "users" (myself, me wife, me son and his gf) so all four sets are dun used up. I wanted to wire up a couple of extra helmets (for myself): a dual-sport helmet, my modular HJC for regular use, and a HiViz KBC that I bought last year for when I'm not wearing a HiViz jacket. But damnation son, those English Starcom fellers sure are proud of their headsets, at 50 tomatoes a pop. :eek:

I remembered that the Motocomm (battery operated) ST-1 units that I once had used a very similar headset, and with the same mini-DIN connector and pin-out wiring. And they sounded just as good as (maybe even better than?) the Starcom1 headsets (which isn't really all that great anyway). So I surfed over to Motocom and low and behold they do sell "parts" for their RiderLink ST-1 systems. And their headsets are only 20 clams. Naturally I snapped up two.

The only down side to these, as compared to the Starcom units, is that the ear speakers are somewhat thicker. So if your helmet is already space challenged in the ear pockets you might not be able to make it work. But, I have been able to use them in my helmets with no problems. You can order either their MC-5X (for a full face headset, w/ velcro stick on mike) or MC-7X (Open face or Modular with a boom mike) for just $20 each, and they are completely plug-and-play with the Starcom1 communicators.

Go directly to the Motocomm website and use the replacement parts pull down on the right side to select the desired headset model. It's entirely possible that some of their other interface cables could be used for a Starcom1 too, but I haven't tested or checked it out, so you are on your own there.

For those considering buying a Motocomm RiderLink ST-1, they are pretty nice units. The downfall is no adjustable volume, and they are fully monaural. Yeah really. Otherwise they are a nice unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's great info! How do they sound compared to the starcom headsets?

FYI, the starcom headsets use the same connector as an old PS/2 mouse cable, although I've never tried using one.

They sound at least as good as, perhaps slightly better than, the Starcom headsets. Some of the better sound may be due to their being thicker, which puts the speaker closer to your ear, which is better for blocking outside noise and transferring the base notes.