Let your FJR BREATHE!! Open up the Intake!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDMac

Reaction score
Just installed one this aft...

Ignoring the mindless amount of time that it took, between that and the new V-Stream Shield - looking forward to tomorrow's ride...

Rode the 3 1K Crotch rockets Y/H/S a few weeks back up at the New Liskeard Charity Event... Yes - they ALL hurt my wrist to ride - within 3 minutes...

Changing gears ...

2 main things jumped out about them..

1) The Honda's Surprising Weakness at the twist of the wrist...

2)The CBR AND Gixxerr's super throaty intake snarl/growl... I was On/Off the throttle just to hear it!!

Open up your Feejer's throat and let it do much the same for you... You'll love it - I Bet!!!

Scott

Not real likely that you will feel any (actual) difference from the K&N.

Running a fuel injected engine with a less restrictive intake won't increase engine torque (what you feel with the butt dyno) at most engine speeds. It may slightly increase the engine's ability to breathe at the upper limits of rpm, which translates to a minor increase in measured horsepower, but only there... at upper rpms, and only if the fuel mixture is corrected.

The FJR fuel injection map is already too lean as it comes from the factory, for EPA emissions reasons. The FI system runs open loop (no O2 sensor feedback) almost all of the time. The only time it is running closed loop is at steady engine speeds, like when cruising or at idle. When in closed loop the less restrictive intake will result in no change to the mixture. But in open loop mode the filter will make the mixture even more lean. You'll need a Power Commander or some other FI adjusting device to get the mixture more fuel, so good power can be made.

There is a lot of speculation that any increase in air flow comes with decreased filtration. If you ride in dusty environments often this may result in added engine wear. The conventional wisdom is to not clean the K&N too often, as the accumulated dirt/dust layer actually improves the filtration. However, it does so with decreased flow. So, a well filtering, quite dirty K&N filter probably flows about the same as a regular paper filter.

You do only buy a K&N once and are supposed to clean and re-oil it. It could be more economical than replacing the paper filter at regular intervals, if that is what you do. It is worth noting that the 2nd Gen FJR factory service manual does not call out a replacement interval for the stock paper air filter, (1st gen manual says every 12k miles) though many folks will do so regularly, when it appears dirty, as "feel good" maintenance. The FSM says only to blow it off with compressed air at 4k mile intervals and replace "if necessary". I would say it is only necessary when your fuel mileage begins to be effected. Just like the K&N it will actually increase its filtering capability throughout its lifetime, with the downside being decreased air flow. Considering the engines are running lean from the factory, a somewhat dirty air filter may actually be a good thing for overall engine performance. I have no data to back that speculation.

K&N's motto could be, "you can buy better, but you can't pay more."

You do get some nice stickers with the $50 K&N.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what the O.P. probably was affected by/interested in was more along the lines of "intake honk"?

Manufacturers (Kawi has done this on some Ninja models and BMW uses it on the new "K" models -- and maybe? the sportbikes the O.P. test-rode, too) route the intake air source right up in front of the rider -- and the effect on some riders is very positive (racey).

Like loud exhausts, though, "intake honk" may not be so pleasing over the long run...? :unsure:

I think what the O.P. probably was affected by/interested in was more along the lines of "intake honk"?Manufacturers (Kawi has done this on some Ninja models and BMW uses it on the new "K" models -- and maybe? the sportbikes the O.P. test-rode, too) route the intake air source right up in front of the rider -- and the effect on some riders is very positive (racey).

Like loud exhausts, though, "intake honk" may not be so pleasing over the long run...? :unsure:
Well... Thanks for all of the "positive feedback" from all but this poster... It makes one feel so welcome to have joined the group... Glad To Ride A FEEJER - Join the Group!!! Or NOT... Hmmm...

BIG F'n SIGH!!!

Scott

K&N Filters are from the Devil.

Their filtration is inadequate, no power gains in this application and they ooze oil into the throttle bores causing throttle binding. `

Read in some of the Ford Diesel sites. Many stories of "Dusted" engines and turbos from using K&N filters.

I would never buy any vehicle with one on it.

Other than that they are probably OK.

Well... Thanks for all of the "positive feedback" from all but this poster... It makes one feel so welcome to have joined the group... Glad To Ride A FEEJER - Join the Group!!! Or NOT... Hmmm...BIG F'n SIGH!!!

Scott
Please expound...

What's not right...? :unsure:

I think what the O.P. probably was affected by/interested in was more along the lines of "intake honk"?Manufacturers (Kawi has done this on some Ninja models and BMW uses it on the new "K" models -- and maybe? the sportbikes the O.P. test-rode, too) route the intake air source right up in front of the rider -- and the effect on some riders is very positive (racey).

Well... Thanks for all of the "positive feedback" from all but this poster... It makes one feel so welcome to have joined the group... Glad To Ride A FEEJER - Join the Group!!! Or NOT... Hmmm...

BIG F'n SIGH!!!

Scott
Part of what you join a forum for is the body of experience and collected knowledge. I can't even begin to tell you how useful it was when I got my Feej three years ago!

Nobody was criticizing you personally, but there is experience among forum members with the system, and it's not all positive. If it were me and I wanted to keep my newly acquired toy running properly for a good long while, I would consider that Useful Information.

The FJR fuel injection map is already too lean as it comes from the factory, for EPA emissions reasons. The FI system runs open loop (no O2 sensor feedback) almost all of the time. The only time it is running closed loop is at steady engine speeds, like when cruising or at idle. When in closed loop the less restrictive intake will result in no change to the mixture. But in open loop mode the filter will make the mixture even more lean. You'll need a Power Commander or some other FI adjusting device to get the mixture more fuel, so good power can be made.

Because the FJR uses a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) increasing the air flow via a different or no use of a filter will not make the fuel mixture lean any more than it already is. The MAP sensor (really an electronic vacuum gauge) will measure a slight change in engine vacuum and adjust the fuel mixture accordingly.

Well... Thanks for all of the "positive feedback" from all but this poster... It makes one feel so welcome to have joined the group... Glad To Ride A FEEJER - Join the Group!!! Or NOT... Hmmm...BIG F'n SIGH!!!

Scott
Please expound...

What's not right...? :unsure:
Well, the simple fact of the matter is that the author's sarcasm is the root of all evil in this one...

YOU were the SOLE individual that offered any sort of encouragement, or Congrats on my newly-found-throaty-sound... I STILL LOVE IT!!! I may go out and Start Her Up Right NOW!!! Just to verify that!!! <Great Big Grin>. OK - I'm back now - just a smoke instead... Landlady's asleep, EH!??!

My SINCERE apologies for having inadvertently inverted my sarcasm and your well-meaning!!! YOU got my drift - I want something with a bit more "HONK"... Good Word For it BTW!!!

Scott

It's your bike, Scott. You can obviously do what you want to it. If you like the intake noise and it's worth the risk of inferior filtration, then enjoy it. I was merely presenting the down side of the K&N issue since you seemed not to be aware of it.

FWIW, most people that "Open up the Intake" are after increased power, not increased intake noise.

It's your bike, Scott. You can obviously do what you want to it. If you like the intake noise and it's worth the risk of inferior filtration, then enjoy it. I was merely presenting the down side of the K&N issue since you seemed not to be aware of it.
FWIW, most people that "Open up the Intake" are after increased power, not increased intake noise.

Along those lines . . . here is what I know, and think, from my experience in "opening up" todays motors . . . be it bike, truck, or car. In general they're vastly computer controlled & changing one, or more, variables such as a more open intake/filter, or more open exhaust, does little for performance because the ECU controls the air/fuel mixtures.

If you want to modify a modern engine's performance you must, in most cases, modify the ECU programming . . . hence the suggestion that you invest in a PowerCommander which will allow you to modify the air/fuel values (maps) along with adjusting the exterior modifications such as more free flowing intakes and exhaust.

Also, if you're going to open up the front end (air intake) you might as well open up the back end (exhaust) to allow the engine to breathe. I'm not a big fan of mesh & oil filters myself and you might be a little shocked at what you find in the backside of your airbox once you forget to maintain the filter regularly. IMO, TruFlo makes a great free flowing filter that is a cellular design, but I don't know of any bike applications for it.

In the end you can spend a bundle of money on intakes, exhaust, and ECU programmers to marginally gain some very expensive, and on the FJR, unneeded horsepower.

I do think the FJR benefits greatly from the PowerCommander in general performance and run one myself to smooth out her throttle response. Just my opinion.

Way back in ancient history when I was a stupid kid [at least I'm not a kid anymore] the first thing the Brylcreme tee shirt set did was toss the air cleaner on any car. That big Rochester on my '56 Belair let out an intoxicating roar which played harmony with the Cherry Bomb glass packs but engine life back then was short. Not that it was a problem as I soon rolled that undersprung hippo. And yes, without electronics we got some big power gains..

'70s-era: leave the air cleaner in, but turn the lid over, so air came in all the way around, not just through that tiny little snorkel.

'70s-era: leave the air cleaner in, but turn the lid over, so air came in all the way around, not just through that tiny little snorkel.
Manufacturers spend (probably?) Millions of $$$ on NVH engineering (small inlets located at a distance can supply all the intake air needs relatively quietly) -- only to see the cro-magnon end-user undo all their engineering in one swell foop... ;)

My Dad's Ford LTD with the big-block V-8 benefited nicely from that! Right up until I forgot to flip it back over when I brought the car home.

Manufacturers spend (probably?) Millions of $$$ on NVH engineering (small inlets located at a distance can supply all the intake air needs relatively quietly) -- only to see the cro-magnon end-user undo all their engineering in one swell foop... ;)
Exactly!

That "lame" black plastic tubing might actually have a purpose, other than looking "lame" and robbing you of hoarsepowars!

Screw the engimanerrs. WTF do they know, anyway? :headbonk: