LG Chocolate phone/MP3 player

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I was thinking of one of these as a solution to the onboard tunes problem. With a 2GB card available, it seems like a viable option. Just wondering about ease of use, etc...

I was thinking of one of these as a solution to the onboard tunes problem. With a 2GB card available, it seems like a viable option. Just wondering about ease of use, etc...
This thing has not gotten very good reviews...

Pogue slammed it pretty hard: here

Thanks, I'll keep my old phone. The Verizon store I stopped at yesterday didn't have much info. I guess I'm still gonna have to pony up for an iPod.

Thanks, I'll keep my old phone. The Verizon store I stopped at yesterday didn't have much info. I guess I'm still gonna have to pony up for an iPod.

iPod is the way to go, and you should be able to find a decent deal on a 30gb now that they've released new models ;) or a 2gb Nano...

You just can't go wrong with a Pod...

iPod is the way to go, and you should be able to find a decent deal on a 30gb now that they've released new models ;) or a 2gb Nano...
You just can't go wrong with a Pod...
Except it's my understanding that most of the iPods use a hard drive and can be suseptible to failure on a vibrating object like the FJR unless you're extra careful about mounting options.

Except it's my understanding that most of the iPods use a hard drive and can be suseptible to failure on a vibrating object like the FJR unless you're extra careful about mounting options.
The 2GB Nano, which I plan to use, uses flash memory, as I understand it. I think the ones with big memory use hard drives.

The bigger ones do, and it does depend on how you mount it. I've used 10, and two 30's now for years but I've never 'hard' mounted them. They always just ride in the tank bag which I'm sure helps.

Also you should ALWAYS get AppleCare or if you go with BestBuy, etc the extended Warranty, they die, they get dropped, and sometimes the batteries just fail.

You can then just walk into the AppleStore/BestBuy and get an exchange, and/or a newer one.

I've known a number of people who've done this and it's ubber cheap insurance. It's one of the very few things I'd buy the warranty on.

Well, it, the FJR, and some laptops that I tend to abuse ;)

My dad had the original iPod mini, when it died, the nano had come out and BestBuy couldn't replace it. They let him pay the small difference and he upgraded to the 30gb for $50.

Got one, like it just fine.

Two knocks in the press that I agree with:

1) No speakerphone - Have you ever tried to use a cell speaker phone? Not a big loss for me but YMMV.

2) Weird "End" key. It's not in the standard place. This is due to the double duty it does with the music controls. Just takes some getting used to.

gots me a 4gb nano.... flash memory.. great little player... paired with Shure E4c earphones..

great combo... I don't mount it, just put it in the pocket in my jacket... works awesome..

I too was looking for a MP3 Phone, and haven't come across anything that really sparks my interests yet...

Pain in the ass to find ... :(

Check out the Sandisk Sansa e200 series of MP3 players. They are similar to the iPod Nano but cheaper in price. Cnet did a review and compared the Sansa to the Nano. The rated it very highly IIRC. It uses flash memory and you can get it in various memory sizes up to 8 Gig. I got a 6 Gig on eBay for less than $200. The thing plays video and you can increas the memory by adding a Micro SD card.

https://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(11...P3_Players.aspx

Sansae200_straight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Nokia N91. The N91 has a 4gb micro hdd and it takes a beating. Along with the phone it has a 2 megapixel camera, FM tuner, does bluetooth and w/lan. It's not cheap but it works well. I use the Shure E4c earbuds with it as well.