LIGHTS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I've been reading all the posts on HIDS, PHIDS, PIAA, Hellas, Xenon, SpotHIDS, etc lights. I know someone can, but would someone please give a short primer on the types of "extra" lighting we can use on the FJR? I'd sure appreciate it and I'm sure others would too. My lighting knowledge goes as far as changing a lightbulb and no further!

For example, I'd be interested in the type of bulb, light pattern and distance, power required, ballast or no ballast, install considerations (plug and play, requires more parts, wiring, etc), COST, reliability, and most importantly, which kind do women like the looks of better - I'm happily married, I throw that in there for you single guys. I know this will take someone a bit of time to do, but then we (he/she) could post it somewhere as a reference. Thanks in advance.

HID-High Intensity Discharge--Ballast-multibrands

PHIDS-Philips High Intensity Discharge--Ballast-Philips Electronics

PIAA-Brand name for lighting. Many types of lights here. Including HID

Hellas-see PIAA

Xenon-HID lamps that have a daylight color quality.

SpotHID sounds like the pattern of light.

All I know is that HID lighting is by far the brightest lighting available per watt of energy used. The generally have ballasts. Some are getting small enough to make fit. But generally they are a job to get installed.

I also know that the higher you can mount the lamps the better. Of course no one will want to be looking at you when you are running HID lighting. Generally used at night out in the middle of nowhere.

There are a few conversion kits that use the original bulb location. But the difference in how an HID bulb is built and a conventional filiment bulb makes these not the best... I may be wrong and I am sure others will chime in and correct me if they have figured out how to make them work.

I don't run HID aux lighting. I don't need them. But those that do love them.

BTW A good system can run many hundreds of dollars. $6-7-800!!!!!! OUCH! I can find better things to spend my money on besides ugly lights. (I am going to get it for this one)

You put your Wilbers in?? I thought I was there too! :eek: ) Actually it was fun putting your Wibers in. I thought you finished mounting those things already? What else do you have left?

I've been reading all the posts on HIDS, PHIDS, PIAA, Hellas, Xenon, SpotHIDS, etc lights.  I know someone can, but would someone please give a short primer on the types of "extra" lighting we can use on the FJR?  I'd sure appreciate it and I'm sure others would too.  My lighting knowledge goes as far as changing a lightbulb and no further!
For example, I'd be interested in the type of bulb, light pattern and distance, power required, ballast or no ballast, install considerations (plug and play, requires more parts, wiring, etc), COST, reliability, and most importantly, which kind do women like the looks of better - I'm happily married, I throw that in there for you single guys.  I know this will take someone a bit of time to do, but then we (he/she) could post it somewhere as a reference.  Thanks in advance.
HondaCBX hit most of the high points. A couple additional points that might help.

Xenon - This term is the most co-opted and manipulated in the lighting business. Of course, xenon is a noble gas on the periodic chart. It's in HID systems, but itself doesn't make them HID. The problem with the way sellers and some manufacturers use it--they imply xenon means HID and that's not true. They sell halogen bulbs (that likely have bromine and iodine) with blue tint and call them xenon. Myth.

HID is an arc of excited gas. Halogen is a filament with electricity passing through the tungsten.

"SpotHIDS" are a combination of HID systems and the light pattern. Spot or pencil beam is liner like a spotlight. Another pattern is "driving" and another is "fog". See Susquehana Motorsports for some explanation.

I went through the evolution myself. I tried some up wattage H4 bulbs and they worked OK. I got a set of 80/100 H4 bulbs and for the $30 they were OK.

Then I installed a set of Hella FF50 halogen lights for about $40 and ran them for almost a year. Great bang for the buck and looked good. I had put the stock H4's back in to make sure I didn't tap out the alternator.

Then a couple months ago I happened to see a set of true Hella FF200 HID lights. The vendor has mismarked them and they didn't draw a lot of attention. I think most folks thought they were the regular halogen version (about $150). I rolled my dice and score them for $310 and they were the real deal. Normally, they're in the $600 to $700 range.

My first ride with them was a 600 mile ride at night through deer-infested Oregon and where I thought I'd be tickled with the light, Warchild was right. "It's demoralizing how many more deer you see. Without HID's you just miss so many of those damn forest rats."

Truth!

I almost wanted to turn them off after I counted deer number 26. With my old halogens I figure I would have spotted maybe 6 or 7 of them. HIDs are THAT GOOD.

Different tack to "primer":

Auxiliary lighting for motorcycles falls into the categories of "Notice Me", Low Beam Augmentation (LBA), High Beam Augmentation (HBA); Cornering.

Notice Me is about conspicuousness - making a visible show to promote attention to the Motorcyclist's presence. Bright, bright headlights help here, but better is additional lights, and also, different colors. As for colors, only Amber/Yellow is allowed in the US, and any cheap light of about 25 watts, placed wide of the main beams, as on the side fairing, is going to be very effective at gaining forward attention. Otherwise, distinct pattern, as the triangular pattern posed by Moto Lights is very effective - more so as the wattage is increased (max of 75W each for Moto lights). To the rear, units using bright LED, with blinking illumination pattern for braking, are highly effective (as is passive "lighting" via large reflective tape systems).

LBA is seldom required for modern true sport tourers, but exceptions exist, not just for specific models, but also for very dark conditions where sharp turns are involved, and for riders with poor night accuity (I'm becoming one of those). Even the great, bright, broad beam spread of the K1200RS/R1150RT unit, benefits from additional lighting. Here, units like the PIAA 1100 which turn with the bars, and Moto Lights with at least 50W MR-16 bulbs, can be a great help. The FJR, with PROPERLY AIMED lamps doesn't seem to me to be a candidate for LBA. But, if one goes this route, and uses any other aux lighting as well as LBA, be certain to wire the LBA to fire with the low beams only (turn off when high beams are activated) so as not to add to or toward the overload of the FJR's pathetically underproductive alternator.

HBA is often of interest to those who ride at legal and extra-legal speeds on rural roads. Again, proper aim of FJR lamps is a great help, and produce not feeble results, but often just not enough range, and width as some desire. Here, the total output of common aux lights can overwhelm the FJR alternator. Consequently, outstanding solutions like the PIAA 910, at 110W each, are usually ruled out. While I enjoy the output of Hella FF200 halogen lamps (65W to 85W Hallogen), and their compatible yellow color, they do not put out as much usable lighting as HID units. And, HID units tend to draw only 35W to 50W for both lamps. An additional benefit of HID for HBA is they produce so much light that wide spread patterns still throw light straight forward a hugely valuable distance. Broad, deep, and bright pattern is great!!

Cornering lighting is not the same as HBA. Since a bike leans when cornering, standard HB pattern LOWERS, reducing visibility, when cornering. Cornering requires beams to be elevated 30 to 45 degrees, or whatever is the the rider's lean angle, in order to "see into" the upcoming roadway in corners. Broad beams (Broad means High as well as Wide) are indicated for this use. I've had great results, on bikes that can power them, using a pair PIAA 910's, with the right lamp with locked aim for HBA, while the other, left lamp, is only friction tight enough to allow hand aiming very high for cornering. I assume that "Warchild's Favorites", with their also broad beams, would be ammenable to this use as well.

A note on Light Color.

Incandescents are quite yellow. Halogens' light is more toward white, but still yellow. Some Halogens (as those used in PIAA 910s) are "quite white". HID lighting ranges across white to blue.

These differences become important when switching off Cornering or HBA lamps. If they are white to blue in output, and the "low beam" lamps are yellow, there will be an "Accuity Drop" much greater than the diminisment in wattage: It might take 200W of "yellow" to now allow the eye to see as well as with a 65W "white" low beam, after switching off PIAA 910 "whites" or 35W HID's.

The "rule" is to match "colors", actually Light Temperature, between low beams, and high and cornering beams.

Best wishes.

Nice write-up, rdfrantz!
thumb.gif

I assume that "Warchild's Favorites", with their also broad beams, would be ammenable to this use as well.
If you're referring to the PHIDs, then yes, I would say they are among the best I've seen in this regard. The Hella FF200 HIDs that a good few FJR pilots use are right there along the very same lines. The only slight (very slight) negative I have to say about the Hella FF200s (cost notwithstanding) is the rather large frontal surface area they have. The sure kick out some serious lumens, though. :bigeyes:

Re: lighting cornering: if these Hella DynaView Cornering Lamps weren't so heinously large (7" diameter! :bigeyes: ), it might be interesting to see how weel they might address the cornering issue.

Thanks for the great responses! I certainly understand lighting more now than before. rdfrantz - great way to breakdown the different lightning. All, Thanks again.

Re: lighting cornering: if these Hella DynaView Cornering Lamps weren't so heinously large (7" diameter!  ), it might be interesting to see how weel they might address the cornering issue.
Now this is cool... I wonder if they would sell the cornering sensor and controls to use with other lamps?

The Hellas are cool but huge. How do they direct the light? Some form of G meter that "feels" the turn or mechanical like the old Tuckers? They do look a little like a police spotlight.