Linux Compatible MP3 Player?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
Now that I have custom-molded ear plugs with hi-fi audio built in on the way, I'm interested in solving my Linux/MP3 prollem.

I bought an RCA Lyra back when I still allowed Microsoft Windows in the house. I could use RCA's software (wniders only) on the one remaining winders box and load up RCA's proprietary abortion of MP3 known as mpx, or mpy, I forget. I've tried mounting the Lyra (<==== slow, and right over the plate, right there) file system but got no love. Rather than re-install winders on one of the machines in the house, I'm considering buying another MP3 player.

So, the question: who has had good success with Linux support of a modestly priced (No Apple products for me) MP3 player? Any recs?

Thanks!

So, the question: who has had good success with Linux support of a modestly priced (No Apple products for me) MP3 player? Any recs?
Sandisk Sansa E250/260/280... Excellent little players, pretty cheap. Nice wheel controller, easy menus, supports resuming of stopped playback after poweroff if you know how to do it (important for podcasts and audiobooks). Supports both Windows using MTP mode and supports anything as a mass storage device using MTP mode. Works great on both my Ubunutu and Xandros laptops.

The only bad thing about these players is that they use a proporietary cable... lose it and you're screwed. Don't ask me how I know.

Sandisk Sansa E250/260/280... Excellent little players, pretty cheap. Nice wheel controller, easy menus, supports resuming of stopped playback after poweroff if you know how to do it (important for podcasts and audiobooks). Supports both Windows using MTP mode and supports anything as a mass storage device using MTP mode. Works great on both my Ubunutu and Xandros laptops.

The only bad thing about these players is that they use a proporietary cable... lose it and you're screwed. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks for the tip! That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Regards.

I was also going to recommend sandisk. They have several models which interface just as a jump drive to the computer, and I've seen models that do use a standard usb cable too.

I was also going to recommend sandisk. They have several models which interface just as a jump drive to the computer, and I've seen models that do use a standard usb cable too.
That's what I was hoping to do with mine. When it wouldn't work, I did some Googling and found that RCA was perfectly happy to sell many players, including mine, early in their product line that were advertised as "MP3" players, but which put a proprietary transform on the data so that you can't just load MP3 files and go. Bastages will never get my money again.

Hi Ari,

I'm real happy with my iAudio X5. 20GB, handles FLAC & OGG quality 10 which I prefer when I rip from my CDs. MP3 & winblows too...

Bought mine in '05 for a cross country trip, had 90 CDs loaded w/OGG quality 8, didn't get to restart the play list before the trip was over. When new, plays 8-14 hours on one charge.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the SanDisk E260 (4GB) because it was in every store I tried. I ended up getting it for $119.

I booted it up and loaded it up with Fedora Core 6 X86_64 with no problems.

Now I just need my Big Ear plugs to show up from purchase at DC Motorcycle show and I'm all set.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the SanDisk E260 (4GB) because it was in every store I tried. I ended up getting it for $119.
I booted it up and loaded it up with Fedora Core 6 X86_64 with no problems.

Now I just need my Big Ear plugs to show up from purchase at DC Motorcycle show and I'm all set.

Thanks again!
Problem solved :) I was going to ask if you had tried to run the app under Wine; nevermind :)

I've heard nothing but great things about those SanDisk players... I'm curious, the microSD slot on the side allows the card to stick out?? Or was the product shot I found just a teaser to prove that a microSD would fit???

Have you found a solution for loading maps into a GPS? I don't yet have one, but like some, I have only 1 winders box in my house...I am curious to find out if others can load up maps with linux. (Fedora8 or Ubuntu)

Linux, FJRs... :dribble:

I'm curious, the microSD slot on the side allows the card to stick out?? Or was the product shot I found just a teaser to prove that a microSD would fit???
I have one, it sits flush... won't pop out when tossed in a bag with other stuff.

Have you found a solution for loading maps into a GPS? I don't yet have one, but like some, I have only 1 winders box in my house...I am curious to find out if others can load up maps with linux. (Fedora8 or Ubuntu)
Lemme track down my linux geek off-road buddy. I know he's got smthng for loading up the GPSs, but I don't remember what.