Little Dragon at Night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
Last night after dinner, I wanted to check out my new ProGrip fog free light sensitive face shield insert Linky (I'll post a review later after I get more time on it) and headed out to ride Hwy 49 and the "Little Dragon" section in the dark. Route It was "interesting, riveting etc..." as there are enough surprises during daylight hours to keep one's attention, but night brings on a whole new set of challenges. Speed was knocked down a bit and the ever-present bambi kept my eyes scanning. I shot some video of a couple of passes by, first with my Solteks lit along with my new Clearwater "Glenda" LED's at 100% and the stock headlight on High Beam. The second pass was with the Solteks off, Clearwater LED at 50% and headlight on low beam for comparison. The most dicey part of this operation was finding a "safe" area to turn around on 49 in the dark without getting T-boned. Traffic was very light and the worst part was keeping the bike upright while making a U-turn on off camber road surfaces with reduced visual acuity due to the pitch black all around except for up front. All in all, things went well, but after two passes and 4 U turns, I'd pressed my luck enough and headed for the barn. Passed a gaggle of bambi in Coulterville, a blacked out Sheriff's pick up backed up a dirt road and ran over two snakes (that I saw), amazing what those Solteks light up! The Clearwater LED's are a great addition to my front end and help with cages seeing me, but I'm done adding lights up there (for now). Enjoy the pics.

Clearwater "Glenda" LEDs 50% + Low beams

LilDragon3-24-10017.jpg

Clearwater LEDs 100% + High beams

LilDragon3-24-10018.jpg

Solteks + Clearwater LEDs 100% + High beams

LilDragon3-24-10019.jpg

Merced Falls Rd (5 mins from my home)

LilDragon3-24-10023.jpg

Low Beams (location: Bagby Rec Area Bridge on Hwy 49)

LilDragon3-24-10024.jpg

Clearwater LEDs 50% + Low beams

LilDragon3-24-10025.jpg

Clearwater LEDs 100% + High beams

LilDragon3-24-10026.jpg

Soltek Fuegos + Clearwater LEDs 100% + High beams

LilDragon3-24-10027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your Soltek's could come up a bit, especially if your LED's are providing close-in fill. Or maybe it's just that the road slopes upward there at the bridge.

Also, I had a WA State trooper inform me (very casually) that state law allowed a max of 4 forward-facing beams on at once. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to switch off my Motolights when I turn on my Soltek's and high-beams all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your Soltek's could come up a bit, especially if your LED's are providing close-in fill. Or maybe it's just that the road slopes upward there at the bridge.
Correct, the road slopes upward. Solteks are aimed pretty good, but there is always room for improvement. The Glenda LEDS are mainly for cages to see me as the do throw light out, but mainly low and close to the bike.