Loading maps to gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can download trips from a map source to my gps, which is a Tomtom Rider2?

Does anyone know how I can download trips from a map source to my gps, which is a Tomtom Rider2?
Please explain what you mean by "a map source", I'll try to help if I can (I have a first edition Rider, but the software's the same).

Please explain what you mean by "a map source", I'll try to help if I can (I have a first edition Rider, but the software's the same).
I downloaded a program that can convert the files from street and trips into the tom tom. The program is called ITNconv.exe. you simply save you file from street and trips, then open the street and trips file with the converter. You then take the converted file and drop it into the appropriate file within the tom tom. I forget what the folders called inside the tom tom, but its easy to find. Just create a custom trip and call it something you can remember. then plug the tom tom into the computer and try to find that name. Then set up the converter program to dump the conversion directly into that folder and your good to go.

GreyGoose

QUOTE (GreyGoose @ Mar 9 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (mcatrophy @ Mar 8 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Pat C @ Mar 8 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I downloaded a program that can convert the files from street and trips into the tom tom. The program is called ITNconv.exe. you simply save you file from street and trips, then open the street and trips file with the converter. You then take the converted file and drop it into the appropriate file within the tom tom. I forget what the folders called inside the tom tom, but its easy to find. Just create a custom trip and call it something you can remember. then plug the tom tom into the computer and try to find that name. Then set up the converter program to dump the conversion directly into that folder and your good to go.

GreyGoose

I'm still not sure what you are asking for, but as best as I understand it, you want to know where in the Tomtom's folder structure to put the itinerary file.

It goes in a folder called itn. and must have a ".itn" suffix.

If your question is how you access the Tomtom's memory from your computer, either connect the Tomtom to a USB port using the supplied lead, or remove the SD card and use a card reader to connect to the computer. In either case, if you have Tomtom Home loaded, it will load. Just exit it, then look in "My Computer" (assuming you are running Windoze) and you will find the SD card as a drive, you can open it like any other, and you can copy your new .itn file into the itn folder. Remember to "eject" the SD drive for a clean file save, then unplug the USB cable or put the card back into the Tomtom.

The new itinerary can be accessed like any other itinerary from the Itinerary Planning button

menu2.jpg

then select the "Options" tab, "Load Itinerary", and scroll down the list until you find the name of the file you've just loaded. If the last entry isn't a "Destination", it will ask if you want it converted to one.

Note that the Tomtom is limited to (I think) 48 locations in an itinerary, any more in the file won't be loaded.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator: