Long distance trip gear advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am finishing up getting my gear lined up for a 15,000 mile trip. I recently did the Legends

SS ride to "Test" my gear. For the most part I was pleased, but had some questions considering

It did not rain:

My roadcrafter pants are 6" too big in the waist/ My firstgear HT 2 pants fit great.

Which do I wear? (Considering attaching issues..Drawstring...Waterproofing... Warmth...)

I got cold hands when the temps were in the upper 30's

How would Aerostich's insulated triple digit glove covers do?

for warmth & rain protection?

Does a heated jacket liner (Core) help keep the hands warm ?

(Just got my Airvantage)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get heated gear. I use a jacket and gloves, with a dual controller. Try Gerbings or warmnsafe.com

Cold hands and cold chest will be a distant memory.

Taking some advice from some of the wiser on the forum last year....Ignacio mentioned wearing a heated vest...He was right on point. Wearing the heated vest kept the torso warm, which kept good warm blood flowing through to the limbs.

However, with you taking a 15k mile trip. I would definitely pack a good set of base layer clothing. I tried both UA latest technology thermal and the hot chilly's ...IMO..the Hot chilly was much better..UA is great if you are running and sweating, but hot chilly's better when you are just sitting on the bike not producing any sweat-body heat. The base layer gear will allow you to be more versatile and not have to change gear as often. The range I was comfortable in was from 75F-20F, of course the heated vest was on from 50F-20F. Not familiar with riding suits. Field sheer Eskimo gloves were great with the heated grips....do you have heated grips? Don't wanna be packing 3-4 pairs of gloves.

re hands I run with heated grips, vstrom handguards, medium weight gloves augmented as required by a thinsulate liner glove and sometimes in the real cold/windy aerostitch tripledigit overmitt. Hands are never cold anymore and the glove combo is still light and retains good feel, as well as being wateproof when required.

I don't care how warm your core is. When your hands get cold, they get cold. If you don't go with electrics (and I do love my heated grips, which is plenty for me), I'd recommend you slip one of these inside each glove when it gets bad enough. And a scarf. Plus on a cold day, wet or dry, rain gear cuts wind and adds a lot of comfort.

Taking some advice from some of the wiser on the forum last year....Ignacio mentioned wearing a heated vest...He was right on point. Wearing the heated vest kept the torso warm, which kept good warm blood flowing through to the limbs. However, with you taking a 15k mile trip. I would definitely pack a good set of base layer clothing. I tried both UA latest technology thermal and the hot chilly's ...IMO..the Hot chilly was much better..UA is great if you are running and sweating, but hot chilly's better when you are just sitting on the bike not producing any sweat-body heat. The base layer gear will allow you to be more versatile and not have to change gear as often. The range I was comfortable in was from 75F-20F, of course the heated vest was on from 50F-20F. Not familiar with riding suits. Field sheer Eskimo gloves were great with the heated grips....do you have heated grips? Don't wanna be packing 3-4 pairs of gloves.
Actually, my base gear will be LD comfort. I also have the windblocker fleece mid gear set. After doing a few

rides "cold" this winter, I got the Airvantage from aerostich. Wow! Inflate & plug it in and I have warmth. I

have not tested it on a ride of any distance however, so I do not know if I will need a thermostat or not.

Also I do not know the effect it will have on my hands. I did learn that a Florida bike shops are no place to shop for

WINTER glooves. Trying to avoid heated gloves if possible, as I do live in Florida. Might be unavoidable however,

as I finish this trip in Alaska. Plus I have the LD bug real bad, and this might lead me to Deadhorse next year. :lol:

I am finishing up getting my gear lined up for a 15,000 mile trip.
well, drop the other shoe, where the heck are you riding and when?
May 18th at midnight begins my "extended" 48plus plus IBA ride. 49 states... 3 countries... 11,000miles

in 10 days. Then I will be at hyderseek in Alaska if all goes well. After that I will ride where ever I decide

for 2 weeks before meeting my father in Canada for fishing - then back to south Florida and work.

Does a heated jacket liner (Core) help keep the hands warm ?(Just got my Airadvantage)
Yes your new electric liner will make a world of difference for your hands and feet. Still a good insulated glove will be necessary for cooler temps I also carry a glove liner I can add when it gets real cold. Some of the liners are silk or polypropylene same as long undies like these. Personally I don't care for the triple digits, too much of a dexterity loss I use these from First Gear these are also good for impromptu livestock proctology :eek:mg:

+1 on a synthetic base layer. It really extends the comfort range in your pants and keeps them from sticking to you if you sweat a bit on a pit stop. I also use Gerbings heated gloves and heated jacket liner. They make a huge difference. Most of the time I don't need the heated gloves and I just run my Hot Grips.

+1 on getting the V-Strom handguards. I also have the Yamaha footguards for the toe-sies. Love them! Block the wind (and rain) and eliminate at least half of the chill. Some take these off for hot weather, but I just leave em. No heat stroke yet.

Along this (windy) line, consider a big old honkin' windshield like the Rifle Touring. Hoist the mainsail, hunker down and enjoy the supposed heat the bike gives off. Polish off any remaining cold with some electrics you are considering.

Maybe I'll cross paths with you in opposite direction--hoping to ride Boise to Florida to watch a space shuttle launch May 14th.

Get a heated jacket liner and a set of heated gloves. They will give you the most options and flexibility for whatever conditions you may encounter. The one thing I believe about staying warm on a motorcycle is this: Being "not cold" is just not as good as actually being "warm". Actually feeling the warmth flood into your hands and torso is a real morale booster on a chilly day.

I like wearing thin gloves whenever possible for comfort and 'feel'. I think a thinner glove also helps avoid what I call hand fatigue. So I love my heated grips. I also use V-Strom han guards year round. This way I can use the thinner glove down to about 40F, below that I have some thicker leather glove with some insulation.

And I have to agree with the heated gear as the best way to keep your core temp up. It helps with the extremities.

I've found that on the coldest days it helps to slip a couple of those thermal pad ski boot type toe warmers into your boots. Cheap and last a long time.

Have fun and good luck!

I have a Warm&Safe jacket liner, Gerbings G3 heated gloves, add rain gloves to keep hands dry (not Aerostitch, the ones from New Zealand), and I wear Merino wool socks year round, hot or cold, moisture wicking. Superior comfort.

I'm also going to try Merino wool underwear from https://www.hanksclothing.com/ and I have the long johns plus zippered long sleeve shirt. Prices are half of other "outfitters". I am going to test these in the summer as well because of their moisture wicking properties. Alledgedly won't have perspiration odor like polyester synthetic moisture wicking underwear.

I've thought about Oxford Muff handwarmers (covers for your handlebars) https://www.bikesax.com/Merchant2/merchant....roduct_Count=12