LONG-TERM REPORT: ESG130 Stator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Installed 9 months and approximately 16,000 miles ago.

With the exception of a loose R/R connector (obviously not the stator's problem), this component has delivered pretty much exactly what was promised.

The system as a whole behaves as if the usable stator output is roughly in the 560w - 580w range, thereabouts. Where the stock stator is rated at 490w.

This stator allows '05 and earlier model year FJR1300 owners to safely run auxiliary lights and heated clothing concurrently, for extended periods of time, without fear of discharging their batteries.

Datel observations:

Once the R/R connector problem was eliminated, Datel readings have been exceptionally consistent. Generally, with no other electrical accessories running, the Datel will push a non-wavering 13.9v at any engine speed above 2000 RPM.

When ambient temperatures are below 50-55 degrees F, the Datel will push 14.0 volts until the bike is thoroughly warmed up, whereupon it will generally drop to its usual 13.9v display.

Adding the usual power-sucking accessories (heated grips, aux lights, Warm-n-Safe liner, etc) will see the Datel backing off in a consistent, repeatable manner.

Overall Assessment:

This stator kicks ass. Score: 10/10. Highly, highly recommended.

Original Install photos:

Here is the stock FJR1300 stator, still bolted within its housing:

oemStator.jpg

In many ways, the ESG130 stator appears fairly identical to the stock stator, although the ESG130 seems to weigh a little more than stock. As expected, the windings appear to be a pinch thicker, and there appears to be more of them. The armature ends also appear to be a bit larger than stock.

The ESG130 on the right, the stock on the left:

statorcompare.jpg

The new stator fits within the stock housing just fine. Ensure the three torex bolts are torqued to spec. Do ensure that wire harness bracket is oriented correctly prior to re-installing the stator; if it is not seated properly, it can score (etch) a groove into the flywheel, which is obviously undesirable (!)

ESG130installed.jpg

ElectroSport website - Yamaha components

Last edited by a moderator:
Pikers....the bunch of you. I'm offering 3 days and 2 nights in Florida with a companion of choice....no questions asked.
Heck, with THAT kind of offer, I'LL DO IT!!!!!! Have wrench, will travel! :yahoo:

Well, ok, maybe you don't want ME to do it. But I wouldn't be surprised if Smitty wouldn't be able to install it sometime in Feb. I'll bet he'll be looking for a warm weather excuse to do an Iron Butt. And he has already installed the ESG130. In fact, now that it has WC's blessing, I'll bet Smitty will add it to his shop menu.

You know, until Warchild made this follow up post (thanks WC!), I never thought about the extra stator output since last winter. Those guys (me) with the AE sure get cheated... in a way. Man, there is a BUNCH of wiring and electrical gizmos all over the place on the AE to suck up the extra juice. I need to install a Datel and see how far I can get with heated gear (no HID aux lights yet). Too bad the UBER STATOR won't help me, any... bummer...

I have had mine installed for just over 9ooo miles. I did have to replace the gasket last weekend. It was leaking oil around the wire grommet. My pretty blue stator was very black. Just a hint of blue in a few places. I don't think it was all from heat, but more from oil. I have ran my heated jacket and gloves, high beams with PHID a blazing along with xm..v1...garmin. My volt meter never went below 13.4 unless I was at idol... I think it is the cats ass in the 03 to 05 vintage FJR.. Smitty :dribble:

Sadly, my farkle list isn't large enough to need one of these. But, when I get my baby dressed the way I want it, this'll be on the need list. Thanks for the review!

+1 on Warchild's comments. I must confess, I cheated and had the Yamaha dealer install it for me during a routein oil change. I did install the Datel though and it reads same as Warchild's, CONSISTENTLY! Good Product. :clapping:

+1 on Warchild's comments. I must confess, I cheated and had the Yamaha dealer install it for me during a routein oil change. I did install the Datel though and it reads same as Warchild's, CONSISTENTLY! Good Product. :clapping:
You have a dealer change your oil?

Oh, the shame! :unsure:

I wonder if they make a stator that will upgrade the 2006 stator from 590 watts to maybe 700 watts? Basically the ESG130 is only as good or weaker than the stock one on the 2006 bikes

Yeah, they lied to me when I ordered mine last year, claiming they had a newer ESG130 that was for the 06, but then when I got it and called back because it seemed to be the same as my friend's for his 05, they claimed they never said that and would not take it back. Still sitting in its box. I should post it for sale...

Any 03-05 guys in CA want it? Since it's been a paper-weight for a year, you can just have it. Seriously. PM only, don't clutter the thread.

EDIT: It's been spoken-for now. Enjoy, toecutter.

Any 03-05 guys in CA want it? Since it's been a paper-weight for a year, you can just have it. Seriously. PM only, don't clutter the thread.
EDIT: It's been spoken-for now. Enjoy, toecutter.
Oh, I will, I will....Next chapter- Eve gets heated gear! She'll be so "happy" to hear she can get dragged along in the winter!

Sadly, my farkle list isn't large enough to need one of these. But, when I get my baby dressed the way I want it, this'll be on the need list. Thanks for the review!
The Gen II bikes already have OEM comparable output to the Gen I's with stator upgrade. That was an un-advertised upgrade for '06!

Yes, Gen 2's are upgraded, but remember the law of capacity...things will always expand to occupy the available space. Now we're finding more and more farkles to put on the bike, and even Gen 2's are gonna hit the same problem.

*Autocomm

*GPS

*Charging something in the glove box socket (cell)

HID lights

Heated grips

Heated vest

Video recording system

I see the wattage meter spinning as the plans evolve...I only have the ones marked with an * but see myself eventually getting most of the others in that order...