Looking at a 2008 FJR 1300.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

84Sabre

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a pretty exhausting search on what bike I want and I think I finally landed on the type of motorcycle I want. The Sport Touring class is for me.

I've been looking at Concours's and FJR's. The winning bike was the BMW R1200GSA, but I can't afford that, so I have to find one that's second place.

I test drove an 08 FJR1300 today. I noticed two possible issues. When I asked the owner about them, he stated he hasn't noticed and the bike doesn't have any issues. Figured you guys might know.

The first thing I noticed was once the motorcycle got warmed up, there was a sounds coming from the engine that just sounded like a light whistle sound, kind of like air getting sucked in/being pushed out of something. It seemed to stay consistent and did not get louder or quieter with RPM, although once I got the bike up to higher speeds, the sound of the wind didn't allow me to hear it anymore. The owner was with me while I was riding the bike, turned his off, and said he thinks it might be the fuel pump.

The second thing was the engine would make clicking sounds when I would accelerate. Regardless of which gear, I would roll on the throttle, the engine would start clicking until I got higher up in the gear. It didn't feel like going too slow in too high of a gear, and I was going about 45-50 mph in 4th gear. Is this normal for FJR 1300's or is there something that might need to be looked at.

Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum, 84Sabre. Can't help with your questions -- I'm not mechanically gifted.

Quite a few members in Chicagoland; click here to see what they're up to, and get out to shake a few hands. We're actually pretty nice guys -- and our probation officers say we're making GREAT progress!
coolsmiley02.gif

<edit ten mins later> Turn the key on, but don't start the bike. Do you still hear the whistling noise? Then it sure enough may be the fuel pump. Mine sounds a little like a turbojet noise that I have grown to love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless someone seriously mistreated the bike, these 1300 engines are pretty much bullet proof. Since you let it warm up, maybe is the fans you heard coming on, or it could be the fuel pump. The FJR mufflers are pretty quite, so you usually hear engine noises over exhaust noises, so it probably is normal. Try to find someone else with an FJR near you and see if it sounds any different.

Welcome. Can't really help other than to say I have no issues like that on my 2008.
That says a lot. I was hoping to hear that it's a common thing among FJR's, but if someone says they don't hear either of those, it concerns me.

Turn the key on, but don't start the bike. Do you still hear the whistling noise? Then it sure enough may be the fuel pump. Mine sounds a little like a turbojet noise that I have grown to love.
If I recall correctly, I didn't start it right away so I could look at the mileage, and I didn't hear anything. It was only once it was out of the garage and warmed up that it made the whistle/whine sound.

Unless someone seriously mistreated the bike, these 1300 engines are pretty much bullet proof.... Try to find someone else with an FJR near you and see if it sounds any different.
The guy selling it now said that the previous owner didn't take care of it. Scuffed it, scratched up the bags, both the wheels were bent, so he replaced the rims, etc. My guess is that someone did beat on it pretty bad. Maybe now that it has a few more miles, it might be showing signs of wear? I'll try to head out and take a look at another FJR in the area. That one had the best price (2k under what most are averaging around here) and has been sitting on Craigslist for about half a month. I consider that a deal, but maybe I wasn't the first to check it out and reconsider after hearing these noises?

I suggest you find another. Look a little further, maybe. Keep your eye open for that "perfect" deal. I do believe Yamahas, particularly the FJR, are very, very reliable. Like anything, if a Yamaha is mistreated and neglected it will be apparent.

As to the pricing on the average, I have noticed that many FJR re-sellers are perhaps a bit ambitious on their resale pricing; for example, I've seen several higher mileage bikes a few years old with asking prices at or above what I paid (well below MSRP) for my brand new leftover '15. I attribute this to the fact that the MSRP fairly high on the bike, the bikes are exceptionally reliable, and many folks that list aren't particularly eager to part with the vehicle. FJR owners generally also tend to be a mature crowd, and maybe aren't so hungry for quick cash. This is all largely speculative.

I have also noticed that the right deal can sometimes be a few miles away, as the model isn't as popular as some others (a GSXR or R6, for example). The forum is a good place to find postings and I think the crowd is generally comprised of astute and careful owners. The problem with buying at a distance, though, is you risk taking a burdensome trip for a bike that might be less than you hoped for (or is blatantly misrepresented, willfully or otherwise).

Good luck! (Also, I don't think you are settling for second-best, but that's just my opinion.
no.gif
)

Oh, and as to the noises, mine whistles a little bit and it is brand new. It is not a whiny whistling, though. It just sounds like a very smooth, well-tuned machine. I didn't notice any clicking on my '08 nor have I on my '15.

(It's got oil in it, yes?)

The FJR is more reliable, with a (normally) bulletproof engine and transmission. It could be -- just surmising -- that the whistling is something normal that we experienced FJR pilots ignore. The clicking may be something that's not tightly attached and rattles when under hard acceleration.

.... and, of course, that bike may be seriously broken; I can't tell you.

Trust me, and a couple hundred other FJR Forum members: the FJR is second to none.

Hey, I finally heard what he described as whistling - when I was doing maintenance on the bike, I started it for the first time without my earplugs and helmet on. Definitely the fuel pump, no issues!

*snip*
The guy selling it now said that the previous owner didn't take care of it. Scuffed it, scratched up the bags, both the wheels were bent, so he replaced the rims, etc. My guess is that someone did beat on it pretty bad. Maybe now that it has a few more miles, it might be showing signs of wear? I'll try to head out and take a look at another FJR in the area. That one had the best price (2k under what most are averaging around here) and has been sitting on Craigslist for about half a month. I consider that a deal, but maybe I wasn't the first to check it out and reconsider after hearing these noises?
I'd leave that one alone.

Too many nice ones out there...

Well, I went out to take a look at another FJR finally. This one was an 08 with 45k miles at a dealership. It had a whistling sound, but nowhere near as loud as the one I saw before. The one at the dealership had a light turbine sound, while the other one just sounded like an air leak. I could not, no matter how hard I tried, replicate the clicking sound that I heard from the private party one. When I asked the salesman at the dealership, he said it could be a cam chain that might be loosening up, but it would be unlikely for that mileage unless it was beat on and not taken care of.

The private party one is still up for sale. He texted me and offered me the bike for 1k less than he had it posted. I'll just steer clear. This same dealer has an 09 with 13,000 miles for $6,999. I told him I'd swing by tomorrow to see it.

Neither of those sounds are common for this bike. With stock pipes you will here the transmission whir like a tubo charger but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

WALK AWAY AND FIND ANOTHER,

Dave

Hi mate the noise I think you are describing is the lovely turbine like whine that emanates from the FJR they have a distinctive noise.