Looking for a GPS for about $200 to $300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny80s

Turtle Gears
Reaction score
I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about GPSs and I feel as lost as when I started.

I am looking for a GPS that costs around $200 to $300 and that will let me upload a route from Google Maps. I would also like it to give me audio directions too. I am not sure what other features I will need. I have an iPod and an Autocom. I don't need the GPS to play mp3s. Are there any other features I need as a motorcyclist?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks all.

Garmin 2720 has audio and routing and tends to be in the sub $200 range on eBay. Think of it as a 2730 without the mp3 or a 2820 without the bluetooth and mp3.

The 27xx and 28xx series are popular among the Long Distance crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked one up from Ebay for $160. Should have it by Friday. I hope it has a sexy girl voice like the British chick on the Tom Tom.

Now to figure out how to mount it?

A few searches should yield that info.

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about GPSs and I feel as lost as when I started.
I am looking for a GPS that costs around $200 to $300 and that will let me upload a route from Google Maps. I would also like it to give me audio directions too. I am not sure what other features I will need. I have an iPod and an Autocom. I don't need the GPS to play mp3s. Are there any other features I need as a motorcyclist?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks all.
I have a Garmin 2610 and I love it. It doesn't give text to speech but I don't listen to the directions audibly anyway.

[SIZE=14pt]I have come up with a better solution to it.[/SIZE]

I recently got an LG VX9700(DARE) phone from Verizon wireless. It has a better GPS navigator on it if you "listen" to the prompts. It has text to speech and it will eliminate one piece of hardware you need to take with you on your bike.

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Garmin 2610 and I love it. It doesn't give text to speech but I don't listen to the directions audibly anyway.

I recently got an LG VX9700(DARE) phone from Verizon wireless. It has a better GPS navigator on it if you "listen" to the prompts. It has text to speech and it will eliminate one piece of hardware you need to take with you on your bike.

Shawn
But does Verizon Wireless charge you more to use that feature??

Tom

Shawn
But does Verizon Wireless charge you more to use that feature??

Tom
If you have an unlimited data plan... NO.

I found this

The SP has a multiple track log system. Total track log storage provides 2000 trackpoints. It is not possible to "track back" along a cookie trail with the SP-2720 but you CAN press RETURN TO START and a route back to your starting point will be generated automatically..

from this site SP 2720

From this I assume that if I just ride around with the tracklog on, and then say take me back the same way, it may auto route some other way?

Is the distance between track points user definable?