Looking for low cost gps w/audio out port

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, over the summer I had some custom earphones made & they have worked out great with my ipod/mp3. I'd like to find a gps (around $200-300 ) that has an audio out port. I can't justify the cost of the new Garmin 350/390 units @ around $800-900. And with the holidays so close it would be great to

have something like this to add to the Christmas list. Thanks in advance - have a great Holiday Season !

Sliick
smile.png

Yea me too. I am using a car GPS which works fine except I wish it had a Bluetooth out like the MC specific ones.

This is a tough one. I used a Garmin 750 which had an audio out port along with a built in mp3 player. It worked perfect with my custom molded earplugs for 3 years. I had a wreck and toasted the garmin last April. I looked and looked but garmin does not make an audio out model unless it is MC specific and they charge an arm and a leg for it.

Best bet would be to find a lightly used or refurbished 750 or 760 model, or maybe others. After paying $40 for a unit that worked about a week and had outdated maps I decided to go with a sena BT and get my mp3 and gps from my phone. Works good and is more convenient but slightly less sound quality.

I have to wonder why Garminhas essentially stopped putting MP3 players and audio-out on their GPS offerings. In addition to my Zumo, I have a Nuvi 765T that has an audio port, MP3 and Bluetooth (as well as complex routing). Bought it refurbished a couple of years ago pretty cheap.

I posted in the other thread, my 780 Nuvi will do everything you want. You can buy used or refurbished I think still. Good unit, just not waterproof.

Along the same lines, I am looking for a refurbished (i.e. cheap) GPS that has audio output (3.5mm) but it does not have to have MP3 capabilities, which Garmin would do that?

I bought a Garman Nuvi 765T from a forum member for $62.

I love this unit.

Can be found on Amazon or e-Bay.

This may not be the solution for everyone but I bought a cheap Garmin Nuvi 40LM and pulled the back off and soldered a headphone jack across the speaker. I bought an extention cable and cut off the socket end and left about 4" and drilled a small hole through the case for it since there isn't enough room in the case for a jack. I put it in the tank bag and connect it to earbuds (I usually just use 1 ear) and am happy with it. I don't listen to music or anything else when I ride so this solution works when I'm in unfamiliar territory. In Sept I rode from PEI to North Carolina and back with this setup. Also with the GPS in the tankbag I could glance at it when needed. The only drawback was it hurt like crazy once when I forgot to unplug the earbuds!

For those of you familiar with electronics, I just soldered the left/right wires to one side of the speaker and common to the other. The speaker is still 'on' when the earbuds are used. When the earbuds are unplugged the sound works normally for in the car use.

GARYAHOUSE or FLY BYE, I found a couple of Nuvi 765T units on ebay. On a review, it states that the proprietary power cord is also the FM antenna for the traffic info, and that it MUST be plugged in to the cradle and then the receiver goes on the cradle. I was thinking about getting a RAM mount, and they show the mount for the 765T with the power cord plugged directly to the unit. Is this the way you used it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh maybe I looked at it wrong...it looks like the factory cradle attaches to the unit and then the RAM cradle goes over it....I think

Oh maybe I looked at it wrong...it looks like the factory cradle attaches to the unit and then the RAM cradle goes over it....I think
Yes, that is correct. The RAM cradle has room behind the GPS for the auto cradle, then you plug the power cord(w/ FM antenna) into that. Not that the FM Traffic is worth a damn. Seems to be wrong more than it is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
good to know, the one I found didn't have the FM power cable, and they want from $30 (used) to $60 (new) on ebay. I wasn't going to get it right away, and I really don't drive much around congested urban areas anyway. Just curious, what are the problems with it, just not updated fast enough?

Yes, that is correct. The RAM cradle has room behind the GPS for the auto cradle, then you plug the power cord(w/ FM antenna) into that. Not that the FM Traffic is worth a damn. Seems to be wrong more than it is right.
Actually, I have had a Garmin with traffic in my car for a few years now, and for the first time ever, last month the traffic seemed to work as expected. It accurately warned me of traffic ahead several times and even auto-rerouted me around a serious stoppage on the PA Turnpike. Maybe Garmin finally got their software working for this, or maybe I was just lucky.
unknw.gif

It was usually functional in the past, but if it gave me a warning of traffic (and I chose to ignore it) I'd get to the spot and the traffic was normal. Same thing in reverse, I'd get no warnings and there would be a big tie up that I would have liked to avoid.

I imagine that the updates would vary somewhat at different times and different locales, but at this point I have come to distrust it.

well, I pulled the trigger and got the Nuvi 765T, the traffic signal power cord was included so we'll see how well that works! I adding a bunch of toys to my '11 so this is the time to do it since the bike will be taken apart.