looking for mechanical help in SE TN or N. GA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the nature of the problem your having Mike?
JW
intermittent code SH 48. I'm not getting much help on the forum and I've read my ass off on searched results to have gotten nowhere.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113835

My local dealer SUX. I have Y.E.S. but honestly don't trust my local dealer to work on it nor honor any YES issues so I'm trying to figure this out on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Another guy also described a similar problem, but was looking at Shift 46 as his code. Shift 46 actually has something to do with shift issues, unlike Shift 48 which appears to have more to do with idle issues. A 6 and an 8 can look deceptively similar in an LCD display. Are you sure you're getting 48?

2. It takes me less than 2 hours to get to D&H from Chattanooga. If you've already paid for an extended warranty, why not take advantage of it? You could drop the bike off and hit the Barber Museum. With luck, it might be possible to pick it up on the same day on the return home. If they have to keep it for parts or something, at least this isn't a very good time of year for riding.

1. Another guy also described a similar problem, but was looking at Shift 46 as his code. Shift 46 actually has something to do with shift issues, unlike Shift 48 which appears to have more to do with idle issues. A 6 and an 8 can look deceptively similar in an LCD display. Are you sure you're getting 48?
2. It takes me less than 2 hours to get to D&H from Chattanooga. If you've already paid for an extended warranty, why not take advantage of it? You could drop the bike off and hit the Barber Museum. With luck, it might be possible to pick it up on the same day on the return home. If they have to keep it for parts or something, at least this isn't a very good time of year for riding.

I'm sure it's 48, it happened multiple times in two days. What is D&H.....a good dealer? I bought the bike used early '08 at that time it was just coming out of it's 2yr and starting it's 4 year YES. So I have until 2012. I would love to take advantage of it but like I said my local dealer blows ass. There's another one just 30 minutes north of Chattanooga but they just sound dumb on the phone to the point I don't want to even visit the showroom.

About the time of year for riding......I've ridden year round so far with the exception of missing quite a few days last month due to all the rain we had.

I'm the only FJR owner amongst my group of riding buddies and have yet to meet any one local. I've seen quite a few on the rode but don't know any of them.

What is D&H.....a good dealer? I bought the bike used early '08 at that time it was just coming out of it's 2yr and starting it's 4 year YES. So I have until 2012.
D&H is a dealer in Cullman, AL, north of Birmingham.

They are highly regarded by folks here on the forum. I have never heard a negative word about them, and many folks have offered them high praise.

Gerald (owner) rides an 06 FJR AE (VIN sequence is 007, mine is 200). The business has made a cottage industry out of selling FJRs to fly in buyers from all over the USA, and they are also a major supplier of the Y.E.S. warranties since they sell the extra 4 years for only $389.

Good folks, and should be as competent as any on troubleshooting an FJR.

The other dealership that I would probably trust would be Sloan's in Murfreesboro (up I-24 nearly to Nashville). They appear to be committed to having competent technicians with the goal of turning around major jobs on a short time frame. Between the two though, I think D&H will have more FJR specific experience.

What is D&H.....a good dealer? I bought the bike used early '08 at that time it was just coming out of it's 2yr and starting it's 4 year YES. So I have until 2012.
D&H is a dealer in Cullman, AL, north of Birmingham.

They are highly regarded by folks here on the forum. I have never heard a negative word about them, and many folks have offered them high praise.

Gerald (owner) rides an 06 FJR AE (VIN sequence is 007, mine is 200). The business has made a cottage industry out of selling FJRs to fly in buyers from all over the USA, and they are also a major supplier of the Y.E.S. warranties since they sell the extra 4 years for only $389.

Good folks, and should be as competent as any on troubleshooting an FJR.

The other dealership that I would probably trust would be Sloan's in Murfreesboro (up I-24 nearly to Nashville). They appear to be committed to having competent technicians with the goal of turning around major jobs on a short time frame. Between the two though, I think D&H will have more FJR specific experience.
Thanks, I'll look into it. The dealer just 30 minutes north of me has all the ratings including YTA but I have not read anything about them on any forums.

I made another idle adjustment this afternoon, I plan on riding it in the morning to see if it happens again. If so I'll look into getting it to one of the dealers you mentioned.

According to my 2006-2007 manual, code "SH_ _ 48" means:

"Improper engine idling speed adjustment - Engine speed at engine start-up exceeds the set limit."

This is an AE error only.

Make sure your idle is set around 1000 RPM.

FWIW, I have a friend that uses the Cleveland Yama dealer and seems to be happy with them. I agree with you on the local dealer when it comes to anything out of the ordinary unless you speak to Terrel in person. Since the old service mgr. Jim retired, just don't seem to get the same level of service. IMHO.

You are correct about Jim but Terrel is the one I have issues with plus the fact they don't stock the most common parts and take FOREVER to order anything.