Looking for new cellphone.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
I currently have a Sony Ericsson W760a cellphone with AT&T and am having trouble with the voice answer - voice dialing set up.

I am running a Starcom Digital set up with the bluetooth interface on my '06AE. I have no issues once I make a connection with my phone, but getting it to respond is a pain. If I get a phone call I can hear it ring in my helmet, but I have to physically touch my phone to answer the call. If I don't get to it in time the call goes to voice mail. When I want to make a call I have to press the keys to make it dial.

I think "Hands Free" should be exactly that - HANDS FREE!

I'm at the point of looking for a different phone that will have 100% compatibility with my Starcom Digital via bluetooth ONLY. I want to walk up to the bike, plug in the helmet, and be able to speak to have the phone make a call. As far as I can tell my phone uses it's own microphone to listen for the voice command. That's useless if it's buried several layers deep inside my jacket pocket.

No I don't have a GPS with bluetooth, I don't intend to go that route.

Who on this FJRForum has my starcom set up and has a working cell phone?

What phone are you using?
Do you have full functionality with it?

Are you happy with it?

I've spent a good part of my afternoon searching (for example... cell phone, starcom site:fjrforum.com) and found plenty of starcom to radio/starcom to GPS answers, but almost no cell phone recommendations.

Help!

Brodie

I've never set it up for hands-free, but I've got an AT&T Tilt that's just like brand new. PM for pics and info if you're interested. I made the mistake of trying an iPhone... :rolleyes:

I have a friend in AT&T wireless mobile engineering and I asked him. He said the RIM phones are good but he like the Windows Mobile with voice command built in best. He said they have a 30 day money back if it does not work too.

If you can wait just a little while longer, the all new Palm Pre will be out. It won best in show at January's Vegas Consumer Electronics Show. It looks like it is the shiznit! All new operating system. Real slide out keyboard, real multitasking ability, very slick!

Palm Pre

And to answer your other question, I have a Palm Centro now, and it works flawlessly with my Zumo and Starcom

Last edited by a moderator:
StarCom analog and V4 Motorola Razor here.

Incoming call rings, have to touch Zumo screen to Answer or Ignore.

I think you want more.

I'm a poet and don't know it.. :rolleyes:

Watching Brian with his Sony Ericsson and Nuvi, the bluetooth to GPS will work good too.

I have no plans to buy a GPS, I have the bluetooth module for the Starcom. There is no push button involved, the phone needs to be set up to listen for me to speak through my helmet microphone. The trouble is the phone isn't capable of doing this. It requires a signal from the hands free to trigger it.

I am looking for a phone that listens all the time for me to speak the "magic word". My phone uses it's own microphone to sense this. The phone I need is one that listens through the bluetooth device's microphone. I don't think any Sony Ericsson will do this.

Anybody have a functioning setup like this?

Brodie

Verizon Wireless Boulder here.

Waterproof, shockproof, voice activated. I ride with it mounted to the Techmounts and we left it outside all Saturday in the rain (PNW tech day). I'm not using it with a Starcom, but with my Cardo you can answer or place a call from the Cardo on the helmet. Calls can also be answered by saying anything loudly into the mic while it's ringing (but this is a Cardo feature.)

All I have to do is turn the Cardo on and the two units synch. I expect the same will happen with the Starcom.

Very happy with the phone. Voice commands are decently spoken to me, and it understands everything from shortcut names to "Call 2149521143" (Random fictional number.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can wait just a little while longer, the all new Palm Pre will be out. It won best in show at January's Vegas Consumer Electronics Show. It looks like it is the shiznit! All new operating system. Real slide out keyboard, real multitasking ability, very slick!
Palm Pre

And to answer your other question, I have a Palm Centro now, and it works flawlessly with my Zumo and Starcom
I'm in the middle of changing carriers. This phone looks like the sh*t. Do you know who's going to carry it?