Looking for Quest 2 Feedback

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, moderately priced, GPS unit and I'm struggling a bit.

For those that have looked at a Garmin Quest 2, but, didn't get one - why did you decide against it?

For those that have one - are you happy with it and does it do everything that you expected and is there anything you wish it did?

Is there another unit other than the Quest 2 in the same price range that has comparable features?

Features that I'm looking for that this one has:

Turn-by-turn (with voice) directions

Pre-installed maps for the entire US

Waterproof

Decent amount of internal memory

I'm a newbie with GPS - are there other features I should be looking for? I realize you can get some pretty complex models, but, I'm just looking for something decent that gives pretty good bang for the buck.

Thanks!!!

Randy,

I really like my Quest. I don't have the Quest II but from what I understand the only really difference is the Quest II has all the US detailed maps installed with memory left over for what ever you need.

I mount mine on a stem stand and us the motorcycle mount that Garmin makes. It all works great for me. The only downside I can think of is you better have good eyesite if you are going to mount it on an ECM shelf though. Just a little small in screen size, but can be seen clearly in sunlight.

I think you will be happy if you get one,

Dana

I'm getting ready to buy my first GPS also. Like you, I want one that is waterproof, color screen that is visible in direct sunlight, battery powered so I can use it on my bikes, in my car or truck, and while hiking, pre-installed maps of the entire USA, and which uses flash memory rather than HDD. The latter is pretty important to me. I took a map/compass/GPS class recently at REI and the instructor was a seasoned GPS user. He said that he would never use an HDD GPS on a motorcycle--too much vibration is almost certain to eventually cause failure of the unit. There's a GPS business owner active on this BB who has also said the same thing.

So far, I think the Quest II comes the closest to anything I've found thus far. I've found several places where I can get one for about $550 delivered to my door. I'm going to wait until after Thanksgiving to buy one however, as the REI guy said that they are expecting some pretty big price cuts during the Christmas sales.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Randy,
I really like my Quest. I don't have the Quest II but from what I understand the only really difference is the Quest II has all the US detailed maps installed with memory left over for what ever you need.

I mount mine on a stem stand and us the motorcycle mount that Garmin makes. It all works great for me. The only downside I can think of is you better have good eyesite if you are going to mount it on an ECM shelf though. Just a little small in screen size, but can be seen clearly in sunlight.

I think you will be happy if you get one,

Dana
:stupid: I 2nd everything! My QUEST 1 does all I need it to!

Thanks, guys. The more I look around, the more it looks like this might be the one for me. Anyone else????

I see where the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News magazine has the Quest II listed as a Best Buy Holiday purchase. It isn't any kind of test evaluation at all, just the pick of one of the MCN staff writers. Quest II is the one for me at this point.

I have the Garmin Quest at my store if you wish to see the size and how it functions under sunlight.

If anyone wish to look and touch one that near by store, feel free to stop by and take a look at how one functions.

email or call my store to make sure we know you are planning to stop by.

Thanks

04FJR4ME--Thanks for the invite to your store. If this great weather holds, some buddies and I have been talking about doing a ride down to Mount Hamilton, San Jose is just a hop, skip and jump from there. We'll stop by. Will call first. I'm interested in the Quest II but one of my buddies is looking for a model that's more suitable for geocaching.

I have seen some reviews that state the Quest II has a really slow redraw rate... and one person said it could be made to work quicker by "deselecting" some of the maps not currently in use, but loaded into memory. Would love to hear from someone who has used one as to their experience.

Just got this email from GPS World Supply....

Quote>

Current inventory levels allow GPS World Supply (www.gpsworldsupply.com) to offer top dollar for your used GPS towards the purchase of a new GARMIN GPS.

Call us toll-free - 800-906-6600 (Monday-Friday from 8 AM - 4:30 PM CST) for your trade value.

We stock all the hot new Automotive, Aviation, Outdoor, and Marine GPS systems and accessories from GARMIN International. Products like the GARMIN GPSMAP 396, Nuvi, StreetPilot 2720, Quest 2, GPSMAP 60CS, and more are in stock and ready for immediate delivery!

We will be open on November 25, 2005 (day after Thanksgiving) at 8 AM CST for all you early Holiday Shoppers!

Thank you,

GPS WORLD SUPPLY

3N060 Powis Road

West Chicago, IL 60185

800-906-6600

630-584-3557

[email protected]

https://www.gpsworldsupply.com