Looking for styrofoam blocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny80s

Turtle Gears
Reaction score
I am looking for some home made foam blocks that I can carve into a mold for the home smuggler I am building.

I am looking to make a block about 18 by 12 by 10. I can glue pieces together or would be happy with a solid block. I am easy.

If you work anywhere that has access to styrofoam sheets or blocks or expanding foam please send me a PM. I went out to price this stuff and it is expensive. I throw this stuff and now when I need it I don't have any. Used foam is fine it doesn't need to be new.

My goal is build a smuggler that can be reproduced from a mold and then attached to a stock rear seat pan. Then people can take the fiberglass cast and finish themselves and attach it to a seat pan. I will pay shipping for the foam. If everything works and this is successful I will gladly make a fiberglass cast for who ever sends me foam if they want to build there own smuggler.

I just can't see paying so much money for a smuggler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheaper yet, try finding your local Michael's craft store
I have gone out and looked to buy the foam and did check Michaels. It is expensive and considering this is a new area for me I will probably be making a few mistakes need a lot of foam.

I appreciate the though but I don't want links to purchase foam I am looking for free foam ( I will pay shipping).

Now I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store. Last time I was there they had expanded polystyrene (E.P.S.) and extruded polystyrene. I just assumed the E.P.S. was cheap.

What are you going to cut it with? I've always wanted to make a hot wire.

Home Depot or Lowes should have 4X8 sheets that can be cut and glued together I would think. Or how about some Great Stuff foam and a shoebox?

Now I'm going to have to make a trip to the hardware store. Last time I was there they had expanded polystyrene (E.P.S.) and extruded polystyrene. I just assumed the E.P.S. was cheap.

I've already tried this and the expandable foam is not easy to work with. It does not sand well, thus difficult to shape. buying a block of styrofoam will be the easiest way to go.

I've already tried this and the expandable foam is not easy to work with. It does not sand well, thus difficult to shape. buying a block of styrofoam will be the easiest way to go.
Got any marinas, docks, floating homes nearby? Many always have big blocks of foam used for flotation. The old stuff has to be coated or replaced with encased foam (as does new construction) because the uncoated stuff breaks apart and gets eaten by animals...not to mention it doesn't ever degrade...

Might find someone who builds surfboards. That foam is easy to work with and form. Maybe even buy an old torn up board and used the foam.

Hit up a local insulation company. Around here, there are companies that spray huge volumes of expanding foam (like great stuff in the can) to insulate homes. Maybe you could get a job site worker to fill a cardboard box for you :)

I have turkey carving knife and a sandpaper.

I have the foam sheets that came out of my old hot tub cover. They are about 4" thick. If you can make pieces of that work for ya...let me know.

Mark

A long time back, I did a search for a foam manufacturer to get a particular shape of foam for a keyboard case. Found one in a major city close by, called them, and was surprised as to how receptive they were to help. They mailed me three different types of foam to select from and then sent the exact thing I selected for a very affordable price. It wouldn't hurt to call and see if they could help on your project. I just googled "foam san antonio texas" and came up with about 8 manufacturers.

if you make a good one, try to save your molds. If you can make one for around $300 that fits an 07 I'd be interested!

For foam, we get a lot of stuff from building supply houses, or TAP Plastics. The pink stuff is great for doing glass parts for model airplanes.

I have been considering the same thing.

My foam idea was to create a wooden or plastic box, line it with plastic, and spray some of the release agent on the plastic. Then fill it up with this stuff, link.

I like this foam as it is easy to hit with a metal file to make small changes in profile.

My foam idea was to create a wooden or plastic box, line it with plastic, and spray some of the release agent on the plastic. Then fill it up with this stuff, link.

I like this foam as it is easy to hit with a metal file to make small changes in profile.
You don't need a release agent on a plastic box. I tried it and it popped right out. I could not get it to harden all the way through.

You don't need a release agent on a plastic box. I tried it and it popped right out. I could not get it to harden all the way through.
Smaller boxes, then glue the blocks togetther?

Smaller boxes, then glue the blocks togetther?
Yes but I am going to glue styrofoam blocks together. Buying foam/making foam is just getting too expensive.