Looking @ Tom Tom Rider 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
I'm looking into upgrading my Garmin C330 to something else. I've considered the Garmin models Zumo 550, 276c and the 2720/2820. the biggest complaint I have with Garmin is there PC mapping abilities. If they would only make it more like MS Street-N-Trip or even be able to accept Street-N-Trip files...

I'm also looking into the Tom Tom Rider 2. However, I have several questions.

1) how is Tom Tom's mapping software? Is it more userfriendly than Garmins? Can it accept other file formats such as Google maps or the like?

2) Seeing that Tom Tom comes with Scala bluetooth, how does Tom Tom Rider 2 connect to Autocom Super Pro AVI comm system?

3) How would you compare Tom Tom Rider 2 with Zumo 550?

Thanks for the insights.

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
1) how is Tom Tom's mapping software?
On the Macintosh side, terrible.

Is it more userfriendly than Garmins?
Not at all.

3) How would you compare Tom Tom Rider 2 with Zumo 550?
No comparison. The TT2 is *terrible*. If it comes down to the TT2 and the 550, the 550 wins by a *wide* margin. The TT2 does exactly *3* things better than the 550 and 2 of those things are minor. Otherwise, the 550 beats the TT2 in every way.

The TT2 is *terrible*.
Bollocks!!!

I've used a TTR2 for almost a year without any problems.

I'm not going to say it's better or worse than the Zumo, since I've not tried the Zumo, but it does everything I need a GPS to do, and the maps are more up to date for my riding area, than the Garmin Nuvi's I have in my other vehicles.

Sure it doesn't have an MP3 player, or XM radio, but since I already have them seperately, I don't care about those features. As a GPS on a motorcycle, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, every single trip. (And it was cheaper than the Zumo when I bought it).

Easiest way to connect to Autocom, is using Autocom's bluetooth adapter, which although pricey, works flawlessly. I used the included Scala Rider headset initially, which also performed well until I went the Auttocom route.

SPORT, you're welcome to give mine a try, and I'm sure there is someone else local that would offer the same for a Zumo, then you can make your own informed decision.

Other than the water restistant feature, anybody compare the TT2 with a Garmin Nuvi 780?

Just lookin.

Go to amazon.com and read the reviews for the tom tom. Not that many people liked it....
Ya, I've learned you'll get that with EVERY product purchased. The big question is what percentage of these units have issues and how effective is support in remedying the issue?

I have leaned towards Zumo 550 for the last couple years, but the price hasn't dropped enough and I'm not happy with their mapping software.

I might consider a Nuvi 760/780 even though it's not water resistant.

I'm not going to say it's better or worse than the Zumo
I will. It's *much* worse.

since I've not tried the Zumo
I have used both.

Sure it doesn't have an MP3 player, or XM radio
I don't use either of those on my bike and don't care about them on a GPS.

As a GPS on a motorcycle, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, every single trip.
Possibly but it doesn't do it nearly as well as the Zumo.

(And it was cheaper than the Zumo when I bought it).
And for good reason - it's not as good a GPS so it *should* be cheaper.

SPORT, you're welcome to give mine a try, and I'm sure there is someone else local that would offer the same for a Zumo, then you can make your own informed decision.
Agreed. One of the ways of getting an "informed decision" is by asking others their opinions.