Louisville, KY?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbentnail

Economic Plankton
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As implied by the section title, 'Regional Information Exchange, I'm looking for some info about Louisville, KY and/or the surrounding area.

A riding buddy and I want to meet some friends there for a long weekend next summer. But we ain't rich. And we always look for some conveniences: walking distance to a couple different restaurants and "distractions", like souvenirs, sights, a drink or two, etc. Different evening chill-out things for different people, know what I mean?

So, anyone have some helpful suggestions of affordable lodging, not necessarily in Louisville just somewhere around there, perhaps even across the river into Indiana?

TIA,

Russ

Hotwire.com any 3+ star hotel in the downtown river area and you will be close to everything you want to see! If you go for a ride and want another person let me know. I'm only 2hrs north off there. There are some good areas to ride over the state border north and east off Louisville.

Two hours?? On an FJR? C'mon man!

Actually, a visit to some of the distilleries are a must. Makers Mark in Loretto, KY is a nice ride. Buffalow Trace in Frankfort, KY is a nice one. The distillery tours are cheap if not free. As for horse tracks here's Churchill downs in Louisville and Keeneland in Lexington. If you go to the tracks check their schedules, their racing seasons are very short if you're wanting to bet on live ponies. If they're not racing you can walk in for free and check out the place. Churchill Downs is a pretty cool and so is their museum too. If you want to stay downtown Louisville I would check out the Gault House hotel, not sure how well they store motorcycles though. I've been away from Louisville for almost 20 years now but it's really turned out to be a nice downtown with lots to do within walking distance from food to entertainment to museums and sports events. There may be less expensive places across the river in Indiana just not sure where.

I'd make Louisville home base and take trips to Bardstown and Frankfort. This year I went to then KY Kickdown vintage bike show last June and it was awesome! Very well worth scheduling around. https://www.kentuckykickdown.com/bike_show.html

If you venture north about 2 hours I always love going to the Story Inn, in Nashville Indiana. Great biker and horseman (and horsewomen) hangout.

Lots to do around the Ville as you can see, let me know if I can help. Just like Allen I'm only a short ride noth and would have no problem riding down.

Hey, crump! Love the helmet, thanks! I know of another fjr owner in Indy who would also be interested in going down if his schedule fits it.

I live just across the river in Floyd County, IN, 15 minutes from downtown 'Ville. Follow I64 west, cross the Ohio river and you'll have some options from exit 121 to exit 118. Best Western, Hampton are at 121. Super 8 at 118. You shouldn't have a problem with room availability. Rgds, Bpeters.

Hotwire.com any 3+ star hotel in the downtown river area and you will be close to everything you want to see! If you go for a ride and want another person let me know. I'm only 2hrs north off there. There are some good areas to ride over the state border north and east off Louisville.
I was thinking Northwest of Louisville, from Nashville(IN) back down thru Hoosier National Forrest . But compared to northern KY, and eastern KY; I'll take KY most any day of the week IF you like a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator: