Lower handlebars anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbennett5199

Reaction score
I'm a current an '06 Connie owner who is considering the FJR. One of the issues I'm wondering about, though, is the handlebar height. I like my handlebars a bit lower, more like the Honda VFR/Interceptor. I've actually replaced my stock handlebars with the '86 Connie clip-ons. They are lower and, with a remolded seat I've built, put me in a more leaned over position. I ride all the time, like riding hard, seek out the twisty, more challenging roads, so these ergos work well for me.

I haven't test ridden an FJR yet, but the handlebars in all the pictures I've looked at do seem higher than what I'd prefer. So... I'm wondering if any of you deal with this? Can you actually lower the handlebar height on the FJR?

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated and will help me with the decision. Thanks!

So you are wanting to lean over like a sport bike ?
A bit. Good height for me is '86 Connie, Interceptor, CBR 4fi, ZX-14, ZZR600/1200, YZF600. All these are kind of "upright" sport-like bikes. The FJR seems to have just about everything I'm looking for, but don't want the clip-ons as high as they seem to come stock.

Is there anything about the Concours that you don't like? The consensus opinion here is that the Connie is a perfectly good alternate bike to what we ride.

Is there anything about the Concours that you don't like? The consensus opinion here is that the Connie is a perfectly good alternate bike to what we ride.
This may sound vain, but the biggest issue I have with the Connie is its antiquated looks. The poor thing just looks so dated. Secondarily, I'd like to have less weight under me and would probably like more low-end torque. It's certainly quick and fast enough to do serious damage to anyone not riding aware, but it's not as quick out of the gate as I'd probably want.

I actually added a different triple tree clamp to move the bars back on mine and like sitting upright and not bent over, makes long rides much more enjoyable to me...That's why I sold the ZX-7...must be getting old possibly...

Someone on one of the FJR forums did lower their handlebars, but that was on an earlier model. Tried a search in the post pool and didn't see anything. The handlebars on the 06's (and presumably later) have been changed. Hopefully someone useful will be along soon with some facts :D

I've come close to changing out the bars myself. I'd like a little more weight on the front wheel. I think LSL has a superbike bend for the FJR.

Try here:

Spiegler

Secondarily, I'd like to have less weight under me and would probably like more low-end torque.
Oh, you'll get the low-end torque with the Feej - the kind that Connie couldn't muster on its best day, but frankly they're close enough in weight as to not matter much. If it's just a matter of the numbers, look elsewhere. However, if you care more about how the bike feels and handles, keep looking to the Feej. The major difference is that the Feej was designed with the weight in mind, so it carries it lower and more centered. The bike doesn't feel crappy, heavy and top heavy like Connie does, doesn't wobble all over the road and it doesn't have toothpicks for forks, and the brakes were actually designed for the bike. They work.

Have you ridden one yet? Don't until you've got the signed title in hand for the Connie. You won't want to get back on the Connie - like, ever. Everything that's good about the Connie has been completely updated in the modern sport tourers, and everything that's bad about the Connie has been designed out - especially on the Feej. Connie will feel as antiquated as you already think it looks once you ride something like the Feej.

I feel your pain. The FJR is a great bike, but I'd like it infinitely more if it had a sportier riding position. Unfortunately, I don't think that's really do-able, especially if you'll be riding two-up. Even if you could find a lower bar for it (everything out there seems to be a "riser"), you'd need the pegs rearset to complement that (man do I wish for that!) and then there's no room for your passenger's feet. Even with the bars where they are, I'd be happier if the pegs were more rearset! I'm sure my ass would be alot happier. I've learned to live with it. The FJR is NOT perfect for me, but for getting me and the wife somewhere far away with a buttload of luggage on board and some decent twisties between points A & B, I don't know what's better out there. I also appreciate the weather protection the FJR offers (especially with the V-Strom hand guards) so that I can ride for a bigger portion of the cold Ohio winters. But I'd rather be on my sportbike. Maybe you should wait a little longer to see what the seating is like on the forthcoming Connie replacement. It certainly looks sweet and sounds like it's going to be nicely equipped. Hell, if it has a sportier riding position, I might have to think about it myself. I'm really hoping to straddle one at the Cleveland bike show in a few months. We shall see.

I have low bars on my 05. Last I heard they only fit 03 - 05 and they're height, width, and sweep adjustable. A really good machinist made 'em in his spare time.

This shows the clip ons in a mid position compared to stock.

Handlebars001.jpg

This shows the bars in a fairly high position (but still way lower than stock)

Handlebars011.jpg

Here's a shot with 'em as low as they go

DSC00965.jpg

TWN posted a report on adjustable pegs here. Could be just the ticket :good:

I have low bars on my 05. Last I heard they only fit 03 - 05 and they're height, width, and sweep adjustable. A really good machinist made 'em in his spare time.

Ok, now you're just teasing me. <_< Does this really good machinist produce them for mass consumption, or was this a one-off deal I can only wish for? Also, have you had any interference problems with things like dash/fairings/windshield in any of the positions you've tried?

TWN posted a report on adjustable pegs here. Could be just the ticket :good:

Wow...pretty sure those are going on my holiday wish list. Got it bookmarked already! Those two items could actually make me love the FJR, since riding position is my only real gripe about this bike.

Ok, now you're just teasing me. Does this really good machinist produce them for mass consumption, or was this a one-off deal I can only wish for?
They really are made by one guy in his spare time so they're not on the shelf waiting to ship. But last time I checked he was still making them as people ordered them. He's in Cincinatti, Ohio and here's the contact info:

Scott Mason

859-322-2532

[email protected]

Also, have you had any interference problems with things like dash/fairings/windshield in any of the positions you've tried?
The lower you go the closer you get to the tank and faring. In the pic "as low as they go" the levers touch the faring at the turning stops. Obviously not a concern at speed, just an annoyance in low speed maneuvering. There's just too much adjustability to give specifics as to what will or won't interfere. You can set them up to have as much interference as you want. Or not. B)

But in general, there'a kajillion possible set ups that don't interfere at all.

They really are made by one guy in his spare time so they're not on the shelf waiting to ship. But last time I checked he was still making them as people ordered them. He's in Cincinatti, Ohio and here's the contact info:
Scott Mason

859-322-2532

[email protected]

Awesome! I'm in easy driving distance from Cinci...less than an hour. I'll get in touch with him and see if he's still doing them. Thanks ALOT for the info! :) :)

You can come and see mine. I have the original set. I'm in Cincinnat. Scott made those to my specs and we went through several versions before they were just right. Scott is my brother in law and I think he has a set ready to go if you are interested.

Your welcome to come over and cop a squat and see how you like the feel. I love mine. The stock bars were just in the wrong position for me. These can go wherever you want. Only limited by the gas tank and fairing

You can come and see mine. I have the original set. I'm in Cincinnat. Scott made those to my specs and we went through several versions before they were just right. Scott is my brother in law and I think he has a set ready to go if you are interested.
Your welcome to come over and cop a squat and see how you like the feel. I love mine. The stock bars were just in the wrong position for me. These can go wherever you want. Only limited by the gas tank and fairing

I may just take you up on that Ramblin Man. I just got an e-mail back from Scott saying he'd check his inventory and get back to me tomorrow. I'd certainly like to lay my paws on an installed set. I'll keep in touch on this.

Thanks.

i don't know that i would characterize it as a "consensus". more like a non-committal, mumbling reaction when the subject is brought up. :lol: