LSL Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothblue

Reaction score
After much thought and with looking over my options, I purchased a set of LSL sliders from University Motors along with some "Tupperware" items after a recent tip-over involving my blue '05. After removing the brackets from and the pucks from the blister pack and checking for all the pieces I started installing the items per instructions (torqued the left first!) and then proceeded to the right side. I started to run the engine bolt in and after about a half an inch realized something was not right. I pulled the bolt and to my astonishment found it was not fine thread as it should have been. The left side bolt was correct and I didn't bother to check the right side prior to running it in. Of course I'm in a state of panic now wondering how bad I messed up the engine case threads. Being without any tap to clean up the threads, I thought to run the factory bolt back in and out with WD-40 a bit at a time. Managed to get it all the way in and torque to factory specs. without further difficulty. Whew!!

Now the good part. I called Mike at University Motors and related my tale of woe. I conceded my error in not checking the bolts closely enough to assure they were both correct thread, etc., but felt they (Spiegler) had screwed-up as well. Those Germans are usually all-over the detail stuff. Mike called the Spiegler boys here in the U.S.A. and they seemed less than eager to accept any responsibility in this matter stating that 'this never happened before'. They finally agreed to let me ship them both motor mount bolts and they would send me another pair (hopefully the correct right-side one this time) via the slowest method from Germany I'm sure. And it seems to be my only option as I can't find a bolt of similar characteristics in any fastener place in town. The bike is still on the center stand in the garage waiting and I'm still concerned about any damage to the viability of the messed-up case threads. Any thoughts?

Not surprised about Spiegler's attitude.

When I called to complain about my brake lines being too-short due to having to swing the upper banjos back to clear the forkbrace, they insisted this was my fault, that the brake lines were not designed for a fork brace, and that it was my fault. I told them that their brake lines did not match the factory spec, and had they, as the fork brace did, there would not have been a problem.

They sent me new lines, but I think it was only due to Gary McCoy putting up the fight, and probably on his dime. That guy rocks the casbah, too bad he is not the main contact any longer. You are always in good hands with University.

-BD

You are wright the Germans do not make mistakes. That is why they lost the war and we sing Hail To The Chief, and not Heil Hit%%%r

I had an episode last year with a "TOG" from another manufacturer actually pulling out of the left side when the bike went over in a slow speed slide. I was able to put the stock engine bolt back in, torqued to spec. Later, I replaced with a slide from another manufacture. The left side bolt also torqued to spec. I've put 7000 miles or so on since then and had the bike checked multiple times by the dealer. I watch it like a hawk and it's solid as a rock.

Not sure if that helps, but it's something :rolleyes: