LTK and the Little Vulcan that Couldn't--The Story of My New '13 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
I was not planning on buying a bike until the February/March time-frame, so I could have my winter bonus and tax return for the down payment.

Now to start the story.

A couple weeks back, we decided to ride down to Centralia for cheeseburgers. We often do, but I won't bore you with the details of why we go to Centralia for cheeseburgers.

Coming home up I-5 around the Tacoma dome, I heard an odd noise coming from the front wheel of the Vulcan. Since I can usually hear the music from the stereo from my wife's Spyder (over our Scala Rider headsets), I asked her to turn it down. By the time she did, the sound disappeared.

It was a chilly day, and I wished to have a restorative. We stopped at a famous "local" coffee chain, and enjoyed our drinks. Shortly after returning to the interstate, I noticed that the speedo needle was resting on the left-hand peg. Using my super-keen senses, I noticed that the ground was moving beneath my feet, felt air pushing against my body, and I heard wind and engine noise. Thusly, I determined that I was not moving at zero miles per hour, but rather a speed in excess of "standing-still." Now employing my mind-boggling logic skills, I determined that "something was wrong."

We pulled over at the first rest-stop and I fiddled with the speedo cable connections. No dice. However, I did learn that the speedo cable was whole and hearty.

After a couple of days of research and poking at the bike, I was reasonably sure the issue rested with the speedo gear. I ordered the parts and waited. When the parts arrived, I was on the edge of a cold, so I didn't want to spend time in the less-than-heated garage.

We wanted to avoid any kind of shopping on Black Friday. To come up with something else to do, I decided to replace the gear. Since my dad is a retired journeyman of seven trades, he has all the tools in the universe. Given that, and his brain stuffed with mechanical lore, I decided to do the work at his place.

The front wheel came off even before he shuffled (he's 75) into the garage. We peeled apart the speedo gear housing and found only misery. There was more wrong than just the gear. We decided to put it back together, order the parts, have a relaxing chat, and be home by noon.

Several hours later, the front axle simply did not want to go on. By noon, dad and I started to get a bit shout-ey at each other, and my wife wanted to have lunch. We drove the long way home, and for giggles, swung by Ride just to see if they were open. They were.

We decided to see what kind of prices they had on the FJR. The '12 and '13 prices were good.

Then we decided that we should, for fun, do the credit application. It came back A-OK.

After some hemming, hawing, and a cheeseburger, I signed the papers for the '13.

Recharged and refreshed, we went back to the parents' place, and with only a minimum of fussing, installed the front wheel.

On the Vulcan's final ride, the speedo felt like working. Sort of. If I kept the speed to under 20 MPH.

In the fading light, I parked the Vulcan behind the dealer, and handed over the keys.

They had to prep the bike, and it would not be ready until noon, on Saturday.

END OF PART 1

Last edited by a moderator:
PART 2

This morning, I was all full of eagerness.

However, I patiently waited until after 10:00 to wake my wife. She still did not consider this "sleeping in."

We dressed in layers, and hopped on her Spyder. (Charlotte by name. The Spyder. Not my wife.) We waved at one of our neighbors as we left the neighborhood, and headed the arduous 3.6 miles to Ride.

My friendly salesman, Bill, ushered me out back, and I was formally introduced to my lovely new FJR.

After the inspections (two miles on the odo), and final delivery paper-work, we headed North on Highway 9. We cut over to Cathcart and hit the West Snoqualmie Valley Road. It was a little wet, and being not that familiar with the bike I took it a bit easier than I normally would.

The gray, damp PNW day provided a lovely view across the valley, but I was busy learning the bike.

Between the wet, the warning about the new tires having some kind of oil on them from manufacturing, and the need to vary my throttle speed for break-in, I was timid on these roads. I am usually not, but today, I just couldn't bring myself to really dig into the corners.

My wife remarked that she saw more brake-light action from me today than on previous trips down this road.

By the time we got to Ames Lake Road, I was feeling pretty comfortable, and wanted to open up the throttle a bit. The bad news was a pickup pulled out onto the road, and poked along ahead of us.

Bummer.

We headed for Eastside Harley so my wife could shop for a skull cap. She likes skull caps. I love her anyway.

To get some freeway time in, we ran up 405 to Lynnwood, and then headed down the backroads to Canyon Park. And cheeseburgers.

We continued on the backroads to Bothell and home.

We encountered our neighbor again. He was a little confused, having left on a single bike. We chatted briefly and I showed of my new prized possession. We pulled into the garage, and I took another look at the odometer: 73 miles. Not bad for a dreary day ride.

After posting this, I shall make myself another cup of coffee, and curl up with a good book. The book is entitled: FJR Owner Manual. I expect it to be riveting reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. This means you'll make the tech meet in the spring? The spider is welcome too

Wise of you to keep the enthusiasm under control while yor scrub that tire mold release off and get used to how the machine handles.

Enjoy that Good Book while you wait for tomorrow, when you can hope for your share of the 40% chance of NO rain.

Wise of you to keep the enthusiasm under control while yor scrub that tire mold release off and get used to how the machine handles. Enjoy that Good Book while you wait for tomorrow, when you can hope for your share of the 40% chance of NO rain.
I am not wise in many things, but I try very hard when it comes to riding.

Congratulations. This means you'll make the tech meet in the spring? The spider is welcome too
Hopefully the Spyder will be welcome as well
smile.png

The timing was bad on the Fall Tech Meet, and I'm a little sorry I missed it, but we had a date in Centralia with some cheeseburgers. (Hhmmm. There might be a theme to my life.)

I'll certainly put it on the calendar. I'm excited to meet my fellow FJR riders.

Congrats!!! I would bet your new FJR is gonna make you one happy rider. You were out riding today on some of my fave local roads. Used to live at Ames Lake, now in Duvall. Alas, I was laboring over outdoor Christmas decorations.

You seem to like cheeseburgers. They happen to be the perfect food IMHO. Where else can you get protein, carbs, fruit , dairy, vegetable and possibly bacon in one convenient package that requires no utensils for consumption? I'd love to know where your top rated cheeseburgers are served.
dribble.gif

I'd love to know where your top rated cheeseburgers are served.
dribble.gif
In the Spring, my wife and I are planning a ride called, "The Stomach of Washington," which will go from Issaquah via back roads to our favorite place in Centralia.

I will certainly post information when we've got all the details nailed down.

congrats on the new bike, you'll love it. And I understand about the cheeseburgers, I too love them. But have found out that I'm allergic to them. When I eat them I swell up.
not_i.gif